avia disk

boa12

i went to use the avia guide to try to see if i could hear a dif in w/ the phase setting on my sub. but they don't put anything on the lfe channel. how are u suppose to test phase

when they do this (i have my sub connected line to the sub preouts)? if i set the fronts to small then there's not enough bass from the fronts to compare. am i missing something or is avia just that ignorant?

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I'm not sure if this will help -- but AVIA does have a "frequency sweep" test that goes from a few hundred Hz down to about 20Hz. Would it work to just repeat that sweep several times while someone toggles the phase switch on your sub? It's not a "dedicated" test, but might serve the purpose.

Just a thought ....

Steve

thanks todd. strange thing is it does do lfe on the start-up & certain other tests. ok overall disk but this really burns me on the phase test. all i can think they're thinking is that the fronts are wired thru the sub speaker level. but it's supposed to be a guide to HOME THEATER. absolutely ludicrous. wonder if they'll ever write back on it.

boa12 other than this problem do you hear or see any difference in your HT? I've been thinking about purchasing Avia so I'm interested in what you thought over all. Up here in Canada I could get a couple DVD's or another set of bass shakers for the same price so if you never noticed much difference I won't waste my money.

co, how's the weather up there this time of night? smile.gif i could get in trouble here but all i really used that helped was the video-tv monitor to dvdp calibration. that was good.

for audio your receiver &/or dvdp probably puts out test tones for balance anyway. the sub phase test is worthless. & the sweep only goes to 20hz & is only good for locating

rattles in the house.

most of the disk is worthless basic info u already know.

it's overkill big time. just my humble op. smile.gif

wsn, maybe i shoulda got the sony instead smile.gif i have the ovation version. this one uses the lfe for some tests (& their lame teching sessions), but not for the sub phase test. either they shoula used lfe for this test or not mixed the disk at all in dolby digital 5.1. i don't see how it works w/ any ht receiver on this test. soooo stupid

anyway, some good bass music like the chili peppers works just as well for sub phase.