TT Issue

PhilMays

Phil - I'm sure there's a way to check with a multi-meter if you have a connection. I just don't know how you would do it. You might need to email one of the guys here who actually know how to work those things other than just biasing an amp. Send Craig or Mark or Scott a pm and I'm sure one of them would help. At worst you'll need to bring it in for service to get some rewiring done. I have a guy here who does that stuff pretty cheap but you really need to know what you're doing when working with those tiny wires. Good luck! Oh, and don't listen to OB. We know it's worth the trouble!!

I bought the TT used. It's a Rega Planer 2 with a rg250 tone arm. I bought a new cartridge for it. I am starting to suspect that while trying to adjust the angle of the cartridge I may have broken the connection on the green wire conecting the cartridge to the tonearm. When I switch the wires around I get music out of the left channel.

My two channel rig is a Marantz 2385. When I first bought and setup my TT, I found my records to be in horrible shape. I pretty much left it until I found a store that sold new records in Asheville, NC a few weekends ago, thus the new interest.

I have a sick feeling that that little itty bitty wire has broken off. It is still connected, but I think it may be the clamp that holds the wire andthe actual wire has broken. Hell, I can't even see that small.

I second the magnifying glass. There are illuminating magnifiers, or you or your wife can hold a flashlight. Look at whether the lil' wire broke off the clip that goes on the pin on the back of the cartridge as well as inside the phono plug as suggested above.

Hi Gary,

Never thought of a multi meter...I sure can check for continuity!!!

If you're sure now it's not your preamp, that's what I would do. Connect one probe on the little cartridge wire and the other probe on the correspoing internconnect. No to low resistance means that tonearm wire is ok. Usually, White is left channel, blue is left channel ground, Red is right channel and green is right channel ground.

Could just be dirty connections. Turntables are funny that way. Make sure all the little cartridge connectors are clean and tight to the cartridge pins.

Check for a open circuit, on the center pin {L+} of the left RCA connect, to the positive {L+} lead wire connection, to the cartridge's labeled positive left pin connection {L +},cartridge leads disconnected,do the same for the RCA connects outer ring {L-} to cartridge's labeled {L-},do the same for right channel RCA connection to double check that there has not been cross wiring of the cartridge leads during it's life time{results hum, lack of bass,separation...},most cartridges are labeled on the back {+ L -} {+ R -} an/or color coded, to mark the polarities,don't assume the same color lead wire, connects to the same color, on a non OEM cartridge

The message below is courtest a poster over at Audiokarma:

DO NOT USE A MULTIMETER TO MEASURE THE CONTINUITY OF THE COILS OF A MAGNETIC CARTRIDGE
WITHOUT USING A CURRENT-LIMITING RESISTOR IN SERIES WITH ONE OF THE
PROBES. I USE 100K TO 220K. EXCESSIVE CURRENT FROM MANY OHMMETERS CAN
DAMAGE THE SUPER-FINE WIRES IN THE COILS.

Oh, and don't listen to OB.

garymd, I'm hurt by that ............ Did I say get rid of TT ? I just said that's what I hated most, installing new cartridge, didn't tell him not to .......... besides if you would see the size of my hands, you would better appreciate my comment ................... Wink

OB - You know I'm just playing. I can't access the winkies here at work so you'll just have to take my word for it. (wink, wink, nod, nod ;)

Phil I did the same thing to my RB300 tone arm. If yours has a little rubber plug at the arm end where the wires come out to the leads and you broke it off at that rubber part you're probably looking at having the arm rewired. These Rega arms (at least the RB300 don't have a headshell and the wires run straight from leads into the armature in the base of the arm. I tried soldering mine with zero luck. Those wires are super thin.

Hope I'm not being the purveyor of bad news.

Oh here's a link to thread that gets into this whole Rega wire issue:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/49097/465567.aspx#465567

I'm sorry it took so long to respond. The Klipsch forum is the only one I can't type a message in from home, for some reason.

Anyway, I may have my colors wrong on the leads, and your right Thebes, I noticed that when I was following the cables. A new Tone Arm, Do I see upgrade!

Anyway, when I have time again I'll look in depth again. You guys have given me some new ideas on what to look for.

I think it's killing me as I bought the Robert Plant and Allison Krauss album, and I have not heard it yet...