Trading my rf-83 for heresy III?

Jay481985

And they do, I guess it's the Klipsch voicing ? They sound a "little" different but still have the overall Klipsch sound. I guess I was just expecting more of a difference ?

The music you're listening to will have a big impact on the amount of difference you hear. Play something with some 5-string bass guitar and you'll quickly hear the difference.

Jay, if I were you, I'd bite the bullet and keep the RF-83s and just get help schlepping them around when you need to move them. Since they are the TOTL Reference towers with their unique sonic signature you obviously enjoy so much, I'm just afraid even with Heresy IIIs or smaller Reference bookshelf monitors you won't really be as happy with them and then you'll eventually regret selling your RF-83s.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but it's just my observation is all. Unless of course you've grown tired of the sound of your RF-83s and want a change, then consider the Heresy IIIs, Reference bookshelf loudspeakers, or even used Fortes. I understand your need to support Klipsch by purchasing new and not used from eBay or other sites...you've already done that with your purchase of your towers, which is another reason IMO to keep 'em.

And you won't be living in a dorm all your life...after graduation you'll find a job and move to a new residence; hopefully with lots more room than what you're acustomed to right now (yet another reason to keep what you have)!

So I say keep your RF-83 towers and live with their present setup for the time being. It's not optimal, naturally, but it's not permanent either! And once you're finally settled and have a dedicated music room large enough to house your system, you'll be glad you decided on keeping those beautiful floorstanding towers you spent your hard-earned money on!

FWIW...

Bookshelf is using same (or very similar) tweeter and woofer...just not as many woofers. If you're filling in the bottom with a killer sub, then you're not sacrificing anything.

I think I'd say"not sacrificing too much".A bookshelf with a sub is not gonna sound like the 83's with a sub.I compared rb5's and rf7's,there is no comparison(although the 5's are really nice bookshelfs).

Bookshelf is using same (or very similar) tweeter and woofer...just not as many woofers. If you're filling in the bottom with a killer sub, then you're not sacrificing anything.

I think I'd say"not sacrificing too much".A bookshelf with a sub is not gonna sound like the 83's with a sub.I compared rb5's and rf7's,there is no comparison(although the 5's are really nice bookshelfs).

But did you do that comparison in the nearfield or the farfield? Bookshelves are gonna own it up in the nearfield...

Now now Jay, you know that oil and water don't mix.

Stay with the Ref series for your first HT, you can always add some H (or CW or LS) when you graduate and get that high-paying gig!

Michael

another thing holding me back is the fact that I might want to do 5.1. but with the heresy it would be near impossible.

Did anyone use the rc-64 as a center with the heritage products? To be honest its mostlikely 3.1 since I cannot drill into the walls.

But did you do that comparison in the nearfield or the farfield? Bookshelves are gonna own it up in the nearfield...

I did the comparison in my listening room(rather large and beside 7's)really just to hear how the rb5's could perform.You do have a point in that(for example)the rb5's and a good sub will fill a smaller room and sound great.I did a comparison a while back between rb5's and a jbl set with 2 10" woofers,mid and tweeter.The rb5's outperformed the much bigger jbl so bad it even surprised me.Smaller klipsch sound great but can't keep up with their big brothers for output,and the large cabinet sound is a must for me.

Jay

Not sure what you money situation is, but if you can. keep the RF-83s. I mean Heresy's are great, perhaps leave the RF-83 at home with your parents. Your Dad I am sure would enjoy them. My first pair of college speakers were Boston Acoustics T-830s. Lots of fond audio memories with them, but they were not in the same league. They cost me $380 at the time which was a ton money. Anyway good luck and I hope you have a better room mate. Good luck on finals.

If you have it all today, there is nothing to look forward to tomorrow ........... Slow down Jay, you already have nicer equipment than most, ENJOY what you have, get through school, then start building ........... Don't get caught up in the up-grade fever, there's plenty of time for that later ....

Jay,

I understand now.

I would deal with the inconvienent size of the RF-83's untill you get done with college and have plenty o' room in a house or apartment. I think you'll kick yourself later if you do.

I think Mike's got the ticket, once you move to a larger residence you can always upgrade to something bigger in the Heritage line that wouldn't begin to fit in your dorm now. Especially considering the turn around you would make selling 83's, or if money is tight well...you've already got the 83's anyway.

I thought you had these in an extra bedroom with a computer or something...like some kind of monster secondary system...LOL.

...still having '83's in a college dorm is pretty hardcore! How often do you get requests to rock the halls on the weekends? [:)]

Thanks for lookingout for me guys.The money situation is fine.

And paladin, heh lets just say at my -30 is when my neighbor's logitech amp blew trying to keep up. The other neighbor banged on my wall at -40..... i still had room to spare! But this was at the begining of the year, we are all friends now.