"The Juliebee" (or Jubilating the Khorn)

ajsons

ajsons,

You had asked about access to the driver. Build the enclosure so that the bass bin slides in to it. I.e. it should have a top and a bottom. Build teh grills so that they are removable (of course). Then the bass bin should just slide in to the structure. Attach the bass bin to the horn with L brackets on the top and bottom. This is how I made my old false corners and it worked very well. It will take a little work to remove the woofer, but how often to you need to do that anyway?

My hard drive crashed and I think that I lost my AutoCAD file of the flare. I had designed it so that it had a constant flare rate through the bend. Do you happen to have the old drawing?

I'd really like to see this finished. I've been sidetracked for a while. This should have a beautiful look. It shoudl look just like teh picture of PWK next to the Jub with the wood horn on the top.

In going through this thread, I see that you expect a higher response on the top end. What response to you expect? I have a pair of JBL 2470's that should work fine with the stock K Horn bin, but it would be nice to cross it over higher.

This should be interesting to see through to completion.

That's another VERY GOOD idea from you, with the sliding bass bin. It shouldn't be that hard to do. It'll make construction easier too, since you can build the bass bin (and move it ) separately from the outside shell.

The only CAD I think I have on my machine are the ones I posted on that thread, but I'll check if I have a copy of yours from an older hard drive.

I just want to go high enough to go two-way, since that's one of the goals of the Jub. Above 600hz, it is easier to find high freq drivers that will cover the rest.

I will do a three-way, though, because of the drivers that I have.

Also, I can send you the cad files for this design, if you want to play with it. It is really complete, minus sheet 8 (posted), which is a just nice-to-have sheet.

The drawing is done with CNC in mind.

Let me know if you are interested.

"This should have a beautiful look. It shoudl look just like teh picture of PWK next to the Jub with the wood horn on the top."

What I was thinking of has nothing on top. Simply because I have the middrivers, tweeters and midhorn. EV's, but nothing against Klipsch.

I'll use Klipsch components if I have them.

This is a poor man's system (below).

post-14184-13819354458414_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

TNx for your interest, Tom. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

AJ

I'm really interested in this too (because I have a pair of the bass bins cut to do this). The weather here is in the 70's to 80's. It will be over 100 very soon but I have too much to do on our house before I can tackle this one. I just replaced my main speakers (waiting for the replacements to ge there) but still would like to build this one (I have all of the parts, including amps and preamp/crossover, so why not?). I have a concept for the top horns that should be visually stunning and relatively easy to build.

Keep us posted AJ.

"...

I have a concept for the top horns that should be visually stunning and relatively easy to build.

..."

I can not stand the suspense. Is this top section for a K-402? Can you give us a preview or description.

I am currently toying with a number of ideas. The strongest contender is for a scaled up version that approximates the look & feel of the top section of a Klipschorn. Either way it will be big. My biggest difficulty is making sure that the top section (with a K402) will not be wider than the bass bin, since that might look odd.

Good Luck,

-Tom

"...

I have a concept for the top horns that should be visually stunning and relatively easy to build.

..."

I can not stand the suspense. Is this top section for a K-402? Can you give us a preview or description.

I am currently toying with a number of ideas. The strongest contender is for a scaled up version that approximates the look & feel of the top section of a Klipschorn. Either way it will be big. My biggest difficulty is making sure that the top section (with a K402) will not be wider than the bass bin, since that might look odd.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Sorry, I'm planning on using a different horn. The K402 is really big.

I'm debating on what to use for the top section, too.

Guys, don't hold your hopes too high on seeing this built completely in a short period of time.. This project will progress at turtle speed, and this turtle has not fully recovered from a shoulder injury. BenGay applications will be at maximum!

I'll start in a week or two, but I won't post any pictures until I get the project somewhere near completion..

Tom, I can send you a complete copy of the plans, if you want. Send me a p.m. and your home address.

I also have a new horn design, it's almost complete, and it's expanding like a Jub ( faster than / slower than / 40hz mouth ). And yes, I put in a channel divider. Thanks to you and Doc for mentioning that. This one, again, is the same size as the Jub, uses two 15's, but not bifurcated..

I just wish carpentry is as easy as cad.

AJ

• 11 years later...