Belle Knock-Offs or what??

Mallette

Well, here I am back in the 'burbs after one of my rare visits downtown to the "General" forum. Quite a fascinating trip, but that's another story and it's nice to be here in mellow gentility of home for this question.

I am going to make a guess and assume I am the only person here that's never heard of these. I visited the website and if this is not a complete copy of the Heritage line I don't know what is. www.shineallandcompany.com.

Anyone ever heard them? Klipsch folks: Is there any infringement here?

Just curious.

Dave

Shinall Model BFS-2 Speaker System

These Shinall speakers are in Beautiful condition--this is RARE!

A COMPLETELY HORN LOADED SYSTEM! The high and mid-frequency sections consist of horn projectors coupled to rugged compression horn drivers with quality phenolic diaphragms. The bass section is a folded horn design coupled to a massive 15 inch bass driver. The combination of cabinet styling, a beautiful finish, and black woven vinyl grill cloth give the BFS-2 an appearance equaled by none.

The sound reproduction quality of this speaker system is outstanding with crystal clear highs, clean undistorted bass, extended dynamic range and a smooth response across the entire audible frequency range.

Specifications:

• Frequency Response: 55 - 20 KHz +/- 3db
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Cross Over Frequencies: 400 Hz/6 KHz
  • Power Handling: 250 watts
  • Dimensions: 30-3/4 Width; 38-1/4" Height; 19-1/2" Depth
  • Weight: 130 lbs.

Double click on pictures to enlarge images!

post-9494-13819354427484_thumb.jpg

After thinking about it, I am assuming that the PWK patents have expired. These things are so cheap as to be in the range of the real thing on Ebay in VG/Ex condition. I cannot really believe the construction is as good. I make that assumption based on a visit to PWK and the shop some 30 years ago and on the assumption that the heirs and assigns to his legacy would not cut corners on the legend.

Still interested in someone who has heard them.

If I am getting the hackles of the Klipsch folks up that is certainly not my intent. I believe in the One True Legend and that settles that.

Dave

Dave, Shinalls have been discussed multiple times in the forum. If the search functions works, you may want to look up old threads.

According to some who have talked to Shinall and a couple forum members who have visited his place, the construction may actually be better than OEM due to the quality of the materials being used. I cannot say one way or another - I'm just recalling past threads.

The guy purportedly voiced a healthy respect for PWK and his speakers. One man shop. He apparently builds them one set at a time, and provides them with or without drivers. At least one forum member who purchased a set was happy with them. Again, just based on the recollection of past threads.

Carl.

Dave,

Yeh, he does a straight out knock off on the Belle and Khorn. Also has a LaScala with something that looks like a type B Khorn spacer in the cab.

The one thing he does that is interesting and with more originality it something like a Heresy in a larger cab.

As a one man shop, he even fabricates his own horns.

Remember, words on the interenet are just words (meaning, I have NO clue if there is any truth in the following)

I seem to recall reading once that he (Shinall) or someone claimed on his behalf that HE essentially designed the Belle. As I recall with my poor memory, he either owned or had seen a pair of LaScalas and his wife said "it'll be a cold day before THOSE come into my home", so he modified them a bit. As I recall the story, the official "Belle" appeared a couple years later and the implication was that PWK took some of his design ques from Shinall.

Take with a grain or a pound of salt... just reporting what I seem to recall reading once. I've got NO idea if it's true (nor do I care a whole lot)

I think it's pretty cool. This is based on the theory that there is very little new under the sun and that evolution is gradual. The Galil was made with the ejection mechanism of the AK-47 and the barrel of the FN-FAL, much like the new SAR-L (US), again, producing similar looking products, each taking advantage of the others perceived strong points.

Some would say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Yezzir, MFK, imitation is the sincerest sign of flatulence.

BTW, Amen to your signature. Unfortunately, most folks just look at you with a blank stare when they hear it these days.

Dave

P.S. - I think that statement is much stronger with what I recall as the original "temporary" in front of security. When you trade essential liberty for security, that security is by definition only temporary if history is to be believed.

Yezzir, MFK, imitation is the sincerest sign of flatulence.

BTW, Amen to your signature. Unfortunately, most folks just look at you with a blank stare when they hear it these days.

Dave

P.S. - I think that statement is much stronger with what I recall as the original "temporary" in front of security. When you trade essential liberty for security, that security is by definition only temporary if history is to be believed.

It's Ben Franklin...there are different versions he's attributed to have said/wrote but the one that seems to be the most common is this one:

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Always eloquent, short, and to the point, Mr. Franklin was.

Paladin:

Probably more appropriate to another place, but I can't help pointing out another of my favorites from ol Ben:

After completeling the constitution, Ben was asked by a bystander "What have you given us?"

"A republic...if you can keep it." was his reply.

They don't make them like that anymore...

Dave

I've owned a pair of Gary's "Belle's" for three years and they sound as good as they look. They are very well made - all the wood grain is matched and the sound is excellent. I have them stacked on top of a pair of VMPS larger subs (don't know how to attach pictures) and am very satisfied with their performance. As a bonus Gary is a true gentlemen and the price is right.