ALK Trachorn Owners......A Question

jm5546

I am in the process of upgrading my Khorns with ES400/Es5800's, 2404H tweeters, and Trachorns. I am curious to know if any current Trachorn owners have experienced any negative sound quality issues associated with the tweeter being located adjacent to the squawker (as apposed to above it).

Thank you for your help,

Frank

No problems to my ears. I should note that the tractrix horn I was using in my Khorns was not an ALK trachorn, but I certainly wouldn't expect to note any difference. I spent a few hours listening to a buddy's Khorns that had the ALK's and had the same favorable impression.

Frank,

Before settling on a horizontal configuration, I tried the Beyma CP25 centered over the ALK Trachorn. While that may be the acoustically "correct" location, it would have meant building an enclosure for the CP25 and since I wanted my Klipschorns to look stock, I opted for the side-by-side arrangement.

That led to another choice---tweeters inside or outside. Since the tops are swappable, I tried both and tweeters on the outside sounded best to my ears.

Al's Extreme Slope networks are well worth the investment--you'll be pleased. Be sure to get the tweeter attenuator pad.

Lee

I did the same exact upgrade that you are in the process of about a year ago.

The improvement was very significant.

Just as Arkytype mentioned, the hardest choice was tweeters on the outside or inside.

I tried it both ways and ended up with putting them to the inside.

Either way, you won't be disappointed

Many thanks to all for your input.

Although I was pondering the possibility of building separate enclosures for the tweeters, I really did not want to compromise the appearance of my Khorns. That said, I am very pleased to hear from so many that a side location of the tweeter doesn't seem to be a problem. With that behind me, I think that I will locate the tweeters on the outboard position in the cabinets.

Thanks again,

Frank

With the tweeters on the outboard position, you will probably get more reflections off of the side walls (almost guaranteed, with the 100 degree dispersion). The dispersion pattern would still be the same if they were on the inside, but the reflections might not be as noticable.

As you have read above, though, poepl have them in place both ways and find them acceptable. My Alesis Monitor One manual instructs you to put the tweeters to the inside, but that is sitting with them as nearfields.

Bruce

jm5546--

Why would you make up your mind about which side to locate the tweeters before you actually HEAR what the different positions sound like TO YOU, IN YOUR ROOM, ON YOUR SYSTEM? Since you can mount the tweeters on the inside or outside of your Klipschorns by simply turning the trachorn mounting board over, why not try it both ways so YOU can determine what it sounds like TO YOU, IN YOUR ROOM, etc.? If you can't tell any difference, then it doesn't matter, but then you'll know that for yourself. If there is a difference, which do YOU like better?

It's YOUR system. Decide what sounds good to you instead of asking some else who may hear differently or not have the same taste as you and certainly doesn't have the same listening room or system as you. You should be trying to satisfy yourself, not someone else.

Good luck with it.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the kind words! I built it myself. The sides are poplar (two 2/3 inch pieces glued together). The horizontal strips on top and bottom of the Trachorns are also poplar. The baffle for the tweeter is 3/4 inch birch plywood routed for the tweeter and the little brackets that hold the tweeter in position are just pine. I'll try to put here a view of the rear that should make it clear.

I pretty much stole the design from looking at the bracket on Al's Web site, but I modified it to be less wide so I could rotate it at different angles atop my K-horn bass bins.

Fun stuff to play with for sure.

post-22480-13819354547724_thumb.jpg

Good day, Frank...

In my opinion, you are right on track to absolutely excellent sound! I am using Trachorns, with Al K's Extreme Slope networks and JBL 2404 tweeters, and I couldn't be happier. My networks crossover between the mids and the tweeters at 7,500Hz, so most of the music content is coming through the Trachorns... so, My tweeters are mounted to the inside (and my crummy little room is just that... little!).

You are going to love it! All the best...

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

To: RFP

Rob,

Thank's for posting the great pictures (looks wonderful). I very much appreciate the words of encouragement. I must admit, purchasing the cross-overs, horns and JBL's on word alone has been a bit un-nerving. It is especially satisfying to hear that the combination that I am going with has done well for others.

Thanks again,

Frank

RFP,

Beautiful room. What kind of sound treatment do you have above the Khorns?

Thanks, Daddy Dee, for your very kind comments about the room... it actually looks much better 'in person' so, the next time you are in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, be sure to let me know; I'd love for you to drop by and have a look & listen!

Now, to your question... Those are some absorbers that I built. There's a pretty good discussion of the ordeal... Oops, I mean 'project.' here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/91939/947930.aspx#947930

A couple of weeks ago, I [finally] completed the room treatment be making a corner 'bass trap' in the corner behinsd the piano. I need to post up some pix of that, too.

The merriest of Christmases to you!!!

Rob