Punch, Depth and Flat?

oldslow

Punch would generally be used for music where there isn't too much information below 50Hz usually (depending on the type of music you're listening to). It gives a boost to the bass closer to the range where an instrument like a bass drum would be so you get a better feel of the impact from the drum.

Depth would generally be used for movies where there is a lot of information anywhere from 40Hz and down (some movies have 5Hz dips!) It increases the output of the subwoofer in the very low bass frequencies.

Flat would be used if you would like to bypass the sub's EQ and listen to everything how it was originally mastered from the source.

I did read the manual and basically I was looking to understand how it bumps it up...you mean it makes it louder?

Bumping those frequency for what reason?

Yes, makes those particular frequencies louder, or emphasized. The reason would be to compensate for any deficiencies in the input signal or subwoofer location.

What was the general consensus of that review?

Here's the link: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/1887/klipsch-rf-83-home-theater-speaker-system.html

General Consensus (of the complete RF-83 system): The RF-83 system excels with dynamic capability
and high sensitivity. The front and surround-channel speakers will play
loud with little amplifier power, and all channels have exceptional
bass. The subwoofer has Olympic-class bass uniformity (measuring 110 dB
SPL at 32 Hz and 105+ dB from 25 Hz and up). Its operating controls
work as described, and the room EQ addresses modal irregularities with
finesse and understatement.

My subs are all set on FLAT (be it from Klipsch,JL ,Revel or Velo ) I never use the fancy schmantzy biggo EQ functions as they COLOR the signal(no matter what is claimed).

A few sound absorbing panels and bass traps always help. Correcting room acoustic flaws with EQ use is the wrong aproach,it will help sure.The best aproach is room with acfoustic treatment and OPTIMAL positioning of speakers/subs and above all where you sit.

My subs are all set on FLAT (be it from Klipsch,JL ,Revel or Velo ) I never use the fancy schmantzy biggo EQ functions as they COLOR the signal(no matter what is claimed).

A few sound absorbing panels and bass traps always help. Correcting room acoustic flaws with EQ use is the wrong aproach,it will help sure.The best aproach is room with acfoustic treatment and OPTIMAL positioning of speakers/subs and above all where you sit.

but sound absorbing panels also color the sound.

Sound absorbing panels do what ?! Jay, sound ABSORBING panels ABSORB some frequencies and help IMPROVE the room acoustics. That is why studios and dedicated test chambers use them.

An EQ will add or remove where the peaks or dips are present,this does not take care of the main issue,bad room acoustics.It is a band-aid solution,helping,definite yes. The correct aproach is room treatment first and then a bit of EQ(if needed).

The most hilarious presets ever created ROCK,JAZZ,MOVIE and other BS. Always grotesque results,heavy EQ used the wrong way. Yeah I am gonna buy a 100 band Yorx (by Juliette ) EQ with 36dB of gain/attenuation and make a nice smiley curve....yeehaw lets toast some tweeters and bottom some woofaz ! [:D]

Sound absorbing panels do what ?! Jay, sound ABSORBING panels ABSORB some frequencies and help IMPROVE the room acoustics. That is why studios and dedicated test chambers use them.

studios and test chambers use it to not influence the original sound. Most true room treatments are out of most people's money range since it can cost the price of their speakers or more and is not really WAF. Most sound treatment I have seen is putting a bandage on something that needs stitches.

An EQ will add or remove where the peaks or dips are present,this does not take care of the main issue,bad room acoustics.It is a band-aid solution,helping,definite yes. The correct aproach is room treatment first and then a bit of EQ(if needed).

I view EQ as a better option in terms of economic reasoning. It costs maybe 200 dollars or so with something like a behringer and helps a lot.

The most hilarious presets ever created ROCK,JAZZ,MOVIE and other BS. Always grotesque results,heavy EQ used the wrong way. Yeah I am gonna buy a 100 band Yorx (by Juliette ) EQ with 36dB of gain/attenuation and make a nice smiley curve....yeehaw lets toast some tweeters and bottom some woofaz ! Big Smile

When I used to have the Klipsch Ultra 5.1 all my friends came in my dorm, opened my soundcard and made not even a smiley face, more like a V maybe for vendetta? Anyways, horrible and where the **** was the midrange? Idiots. On top of that they put the bass to 15... I said enough. My settings for the RF83, uhhh I did not even touch it?

sound absorbing panels also color the sound.

studios and test chambers use it to not influence the original sound.

I'm confused...what's your definition of "coloring the sound"? And what do aesthetics have to do with something coloring the sound or not?

As far as EQ, I personally don't consider the shifting around of problems to be a major improvement...it's just different. After a while the psychological effects of different sounding better start to wear off. There are certainly a few very specific cases where it is a legitimate improvement (minimum phase), but that doesn't mean EQ can fix every problem.

I don't think it is very economical to purchase the wrong tool for the job. Seems more like a waste of money really.