Aragon 24k preamp.....values?

dkp

I have Aragon 24k preamp that I picked up in a package deal a while back and am considering giving it to my assistant's husband in return for some help he gave me (he's a professional mover). Anyway, I would like ot ensure that the deal is fair to both parties but really don't have any idea what this bugger is worth. I would say it's in average/fair/not great/not bad shape, although the previous owner had scratched his last name and SS# into the top of the enclosure. I've had it hooked up a couple of times but haven't listed to it closely. So I really have two questions:

1) Approximate value

2) Is this something that I should hold onto? I could pick up a cheap receiver for him for about the same price and keep this if I am giving something away that has really nice sound. (He's not what I would call an audiophile).

Thanks for your help!

-David

David,

I'll be no help on the market value of the Aragon preamp. However, I think you touch on a fairly significant point about what your friend would appreciate. Part of the value of any piece of gear is what it means to the owner. There are a few pieces of gear I keep around that aren't really needed, but their market value is such that I'd rather not just give them away. The "value" is more personal than market.

If your friend would appreciate a receiver more than the preamp then that's a decent reason to give a receiver. Most non audiophile types prefer gear like receivers because their is not so much stuff to hook up and not so many wires.