Which Blue Ray and Why

jcmusic

The product ID's you provided turned up a number of hits going back to 06. I did not see any actually for sale. Even Toshiba's site had no links to "buy one." Perhaps hard enough digging might turn up something, but the prices must be off the charts or something.

I've seen BR burners down to 500.00, though the discs are still prohibitive for casual use. Perhaps another year or so...

Dave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mallette - the info on no hd-dvd burners is incorrect. Sony has had one out since June VRD-MC5, and Toshiba has the SD-H903A. These were the ones showcased at the CES, and there are other makes and models out now too.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but the Sony VRD-MC5 has nothing to do with HD anything. It is a standalone CD/DVD recorder for transfering source material from other sources to CD/DVD

The DVD forum rules are clear, you cannot uponvert higher than 1080p unless it is a connection that supports HDCP. Because of this most TVs component inputs do not accept above 480p even though there is no technical reason why they could not. I have an older mits RPTV upstairs, I use DVI in to get my 1080i cable chanels.

Whether your TV is 720p, 1080i, or 1080p doesn't matter because you configure the player to your TV fomat during the setup process. My display is also 1080i, and you'd be amazed at how much better the picture quality is compared to HDTV signals. ...... upscaled std-DVDs will suddenly look terrible.

Now that BR/HD player prices have dropped into the same price range as upscaling std-DVD players, anyone would be silly NOT to buy one if you're in the market for a new player. (especially considering how often most people upgrade DVD players anyway) Even if you don't want to buy the discs, you can always rent them for the same price as a lousy std-dvd!!

"I have an older Mits RPTV with no hdmi. I am using component only, so highest resolution for me is 1080i ..."

O.K., I'm
confused. Everything I've seen out there and read about doesn't upconvert unless you use HDMI.

---------------------------------------

Neither BR or HD players (and most std-DVD upconverting players for that matter) will upconvert std-dvds using the component output.

However, both BR and HD players will play High Definition titles in 1080i & 720p via component output.

The DVD forum rules are clear, you cannot uponvert higher than 1080p
unless it is a connection that supports HDCP. Because of this most TVs
component inputs do not accept above 480p even though there is no
technical reason why they could not. I have an older mits RPTV
upstairs, I use DVI in to get my 1080i cable chanels.

---------------------------------------

HDTVs.......WILL....in fact display HD sources via component. The reason you can't upconvert std-DVD's via component is tied to anti-piracy coding imbedded on the discs. In fact, 2 of my HD sources are connected by component cable. (one of my high definition disc players, and my HD-DVR) My Blu-ray player is the only one that gets a HDMI input. And yes, they all three display in High Definition equally well.

The HD-upconversion of std-DVds is a misnomer anyway because the source is still the same lousy low-def source. The only difference is that it's processed a little better to provide a slightly smoother presentation. (no detail is added) Upscaling players are nothing more than a slight improvement to progressive scanning.

TVs will display HD over component, in some cases, my mits for example will only take HD over component through one of my 3 component inputs. This is TV specific. My statements were regarding DVD forum rules for output only. There's not all that much incentive for TV mfgs to include this functionality: Xbox 360 and some Cable STBs are the only things our there that do HD resolutions over component. Even my ancient TV has DVI in.

Cupcake: I am extremely skeptical of this claim. It's just not done. Can you provide specifications and a link?

Well, this is rich -- a half of day of research on the web only to find out that the highest rated Blue Ray player on the market is a freaking game console.

Anyone around here actually own a DVD player that costs more than $400? The 1080i pictures I was seeing at Best Buy last month didn't look as good as the 480p picture from my Sony.

Dean asks a good question.

If one is going to dive in realizing that the market is a fisckle beast, what is the least expensive BR player that covers all of the bases.

And with all due respect, I am not interested in a $2K player for anything! It had better do ALLOT more (which I suspect Amy may not appreciate my suggesting ;-) than simply play digital disks when all it has to do is to accurately read and generate a digital bitstream - something $20 assemblies can do with a fantastically low BER!.

And if one went with the BR game console, will they ever get decent 1st person shooters like Call of Duty or Halo or any of the better 'battle' sims where network play is not required?