Which Blue Ray and Why

jcmusic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've logged 30 hours of time playing Call of Duty 4 on the PS3, online and off.

OK

Is that the only 1st person shooter available on the PS3-BR platform? (I have not kept up on the games available for each...)

And while XBox360-HD is making hay with Halo, have you heard any talk of any more such games being made available for BR? (Heck i am happy with Quake/Doom/Wolfenstein) (Not really into racing and sports sims)

I guess I am trying to figure out if it is worth investing if the one or two games that I would play are already available on PC (granted with out high-res CGI FX)

(I have not kept up on the games available for each...)

What, you missed out on Lair? [:P]

The PS3 as a gaming system is still... ahm lacking in titles. Fans are pointing to 2008 as the year the PS3 is redeemed with AAA titles to be released. In all honesty though, if you want shooters, third or first person, buy a 360 which has had many good titles for quite a while now.

If you go that route, by pass Halo 3 and go straight to COD 4 as everyone I know swears by it - Activision delivered yet again anothe solid title. I'd play it, but I'm still stuck in Oblivion [:P]

mas: Resistance: fall of man, Cod 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2 (coming soon). These are the good shooters so far. I've gotten my burger's worth out of my PS3 and then some. Ask some of the people who've been over to my house, not only is it great for games and a fantastic BluRay player, but it executes on the "media center" concept far better than it's been given credit for.

Ditto to what drpayne stated above. Yes, i was referring to 1080i via component, for bluray sources only (not upconverting - as stated earlier, it does not).

I just bought a Wii for the kids, and really didn't want another gaming system, but really, why not, when it doubles as a darn good hi def dvd player, and gives you the gaming to boot. I'm still sold on it, although I wish they would have included an IR sensor in it, instead of exclusively bluetooth. For a work around though, I bought a cheap IR remote sensor plugged into the usb port, and learned the commands on my Universal remote. The fan noise is not really an issue.

mas: Resistance: fall of man, Cod 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2 (coming soon). These are the good shooters so far. I've gotten my burger's worth out of my PS3 and then some. Ask some of the people who've been over to my house, not only is it great for games and a fantastic BluRay player, but it executes on the "media center" concept far better than it's been given credit for.

And of course Assassin's Creed (I guess not a shooter, though - more like a knifer and sworder)....

And of course Assassin's Creed (I guess not a shooter, though - more like a knifer and sworder)....

I'm going to have a lot harder time resisting the purchase of a PS3 once SOCOM Confrontation is released.

Yeah, I guess reducing HD DVD share in the market to ~30% isn't too big a deal...

what???

New math.

Were it only that simple.

You ignore the greater dynamics of the tiny HD market!

And why do I doubt that Apple and a handful of Dell computers are going to make much of a dent when Toshiba and HP and others are including HD-DVD units in all of their machines...

I love the debate. This is like listening to the SACD fanboys debate the DVD-A fanboys as they argue over which is better - all the while they remain oblivious to the fact that the entire market segment in total doesn't amount to much more than a 5 foot wide section in Best Buy compared to the 300 foot or so of NON-HD content.

The fact that you still have the vast majority of the buying public asking why they should get ANY HD player (if they are asking at all!) rather than which format to buy should be a red flag that portends MUCHO problemo! And the classic "the consumers are stupid" response simply reflects back upon anyone swooft enough to say that.

"Its over" may be right. But not for the reasons you think!

Despite DVD (and CD) sales havng DECLINED for both 2006 and 2007.

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

For the week ending Jan.20,2008, just the top 10 DVDs sold 2,373,191 units

and over all sales of the top 100 DVDs was 3,379,822 units

for just ONE WEEK).

But wait, it gets better! For the year 2007,

Unit sales of the Top 100 DVDs: 225,972,192

Unit sales of the Top
6 DVDs: 70,051,673

Unit sales of the Top
10 DVDs: 101,787,567

You're pretty much right on everything Mas, as usual. =) Most people are holding off and will probably skip this generation. But the math of 70%-30% isn't off as far as movies (the market I was referring to) go. Players is a different story, but people will want to be able to play more movies (content) rather than have more options of the player. And of course everyone wants to play their HD movies on their brand spanking new Plasmas and LCD HDTVs which probably aren't close enough to their computers or they're too lazy to want to hook them up to play from computer to TV.

I don't have a HDTV or player (and probably won't for a long time as my next large purchase is looking to be a house) but I am still interested in watching this whole "war" go on.

• 3 weeks later...

The PS 3 has a MAJOR flaw. It will NOT play bitstream audio. That means you can not get the new HD audio. (AND I ASSUME THAT WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO EVERYONE IN THE FORUM SINCE IT IS A KLIPSCH FORUM)

The best player as far a price and features go is the BD 1400 from Samsung. With the latest firmware update, you will have a state of the art player that as far as price point can not be beat. ($399)

Nothing wrong with the PS 3 over all, but it is not for anyone who wants a true player. If you are looking for a gaming system, buy a XBOX 360. I have Toshiba XA2, Smsung BD1400 PS3 and Xbox 360 and nintindo WII. I haev installed every player to date, and I can speak from experiance.

I have over 1000 DVD's, and I will never watch another DVD again. when you watch a great bluray or HDdvd you will be amazed.

I can speak from experiance.

Too bad you can't spell with experiEnce.

I have over 1000 DVD's, and I will never watch another DVD again.

Care to list your titles then? I'll give you $2 per title that I want... widescreen, anamorphic only. I will watch them on my up-scaling HD-DVD deck :) Thanks.

Unfortunately the BD1400 doesn't have 7.1 audio outputs so unless you have an HDMI capable receiver, you be able to decode the new high def audio formats.

I'm waiting for the Panasonic BD50 with 7.1 audio outputs and BD-Live.

Yes I have the Onkyo TX SR 875. But I do agree that if your receiver does not have HDMI 1.3 capabilities, you would benifit from analog audio.