Which Blue Ray and Why

jcmusic

If you need analog outputs and don't wish to wait for the profile 2.0 players, I'd suggest looking at the Panasonic 10/10A. It decodes everything but DTS-MA through it's 7.1 outputs. I do wish it did, but if I'm going to be stuck listening to one legacy codec, better that it is DTS @ 1.5Mbps than any of the Dolby codecs. Used examples can be had on Ebay quite reasonably (I got mine for <$300). My buddies and I just watched "David Gilmour - Remeber that Night" on Blu Ray last night and the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD 24/48 lossless track was truly 5 star. It's a great player to hold you over until profile 2.0 players are not being sold at a premium.

The Samsung players are very reasonably priced, but a look on AVS forum will show you that they seem to be having many problems playing all of the newest discs. This seems to be firmware related and unfortunately Samsung doesn't seem to be keeping up. A shame really since their players have a very good price/features ratio.

The PS3 is great player if you don't mind it's lack of an IR port, lack of analog audio support and inability to bitstream the codecs. The other complaints I hear is that it is noisy and produces a lot of heat. I haven't owned one, so I can't say if it really is as much of a problem as some owners make it out to be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PS 3 has a MAJOR flaw. It will NOT play bitstream audio. That means you can not get the new HD audio. (AND I ASSUME THAT WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO EVERYONE IN THE FORUM SINCE IT IS A KLIPSCH FORUM)

The best player as far a price and features go is the BD 1400 from Samsung. With the latest firmware update, you will have a state of the art player that as far as price point can not be beat. ($399)

Nothing wrong with the PS 3 over all, but it is not for anyone who wants a true player. If you are looking for a gaming system, buy a XBOX 360. I have Toshiba XA2, Smsung BD1400 PS3 and Xbox 360 and nintindo WII. I haev installed every player to date, and I can speak from experiance.

I have over 1000 DVD's, and I will never watch another DVD again. when you watch a great bluray or HDdvd you will be amazed.

My PS3 outputs uncompressed audio just fine to my klipsch system and it sounds fantastic.

it also does it's own decoding of dolby true HD and outputs it as LPCM.

the only thing it doesn't do is dts master audio, which hasn't been an issue for me so far.

it also loads blu ray disk almost instantaneously while other players take up to 2 minutes.

until someone releases a stand alone 2.0 profile player with good load speeds and can pass everything to my denon 4308 as bitstream or decode all sound formats itself and play SACD and DVD-Audio and output regular dvd at 480i to replace my current denon 3910, my ps3 and me are going places!

The PS 3 has a MAJOR flaw. It will NOT play bitstream audio. That means you can not get the new HD audio. (AND I ASSUME THAT WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO EVERYONE IN THE FORUM SINCE IT IS A KLIPSCH FORUM)

The best player as far a price and features go is the BD 1400 from Samsung. With the latest firmware update, you will have a state of the art player that as far as price point can not be beat. ($399)

Nothing wrong with the PS 3 over all, but it is not for anyone who wants a true player. If you are looking for a gaming system, buy a XBOX 360. I have Toshiba XA2, Smsung BD1400 PS3 and Xbox 360 and nintindo WII. I haev installed every player to date, and I can speak from experiance.

I have over 1000 DVD's, and I will never watch another DVD again. when you watch a great bluray or HDdvd you will be amazed.

My PS3 outputs uncompressed audio just fine to my klipsch system and it sounds fantastic.

it also does it's own decoding of dolby true HD and outputs it as LPCM.

the only thing it doesn't do is dts master audio, which hasn't been an issue for me so far.

it also loads blu ray disk almost instantaneously while other players take up to 2 minutes.

until someone releases a stand alone 2.0 profile player with good load speeds and can pass everything to my denon 4308 as bitstream or decode all sound formats itself and play SACD and DVD-Audio and output regular dvd at 480i to replace my current denon 3910, my ps3 and me are going places!

The PS3 is great player if you don't mind it's lack of an IR port, lack of analog audio support and inability to bitstream the codecs. The other complaints I hear is that it is noisy and produces a lot of heat. I haven't owned one, so I can't say if it really is as much of a problem as some owners make it out to be.

Not having an IR port was a bummer. I also hate the fact that you have to get up and turn the switch to off to totally power down this unit (just like the PS2). On the side note, I did get the bluetooth remote but why can't it be just like the xbox where I can use my harmony remote?

I don't know about the noise claims. It sounds pretty quite to me. Why can't the xbox be as quiet as the PS3? Man....the 360 sounds like a grinder compared to it.[:D]