You be the judge...

Mallette

Some have expressed interest in hearing some of my recordings. For those able to handle FTP, here is your chance. ftp://ftp.mallette.org

Internet Explorer may or may not work (not sure why, working with my host service on that) , but Firefox or ftp clients will. It's anonymous FTP so no login or anything.

Only three, as my server space is limited. I may rotate some files in and out if there is interest. Files are:

St. James Infirmary, Asylum Street Spankers. I recorded this at the Saxon Pub in Austin. The place was packed. I used two DAW's I built, one with ESI WamiRackXL for 4X 24/192 surround, and the other with Card Deluxe for 24/88.2 stereo. The stereo feed was from the front mikes of the coincedent rigged surround setup (Ocktava ML52). This is at 16/44.1 downsample. I might put up the 24/88.2 if there is interest.

Claire de Lune, Stewart Wayne Foster. SWF was winner of the first Dallas International Organ Competition. He played a piano recital to dedicate a donated grand piano at my old parish in Flower Mound at the request of our music minister who was a friend. Primary mike here was RCA KU-3A (1936 - one of about 600 produced) placed about 3 feet over the soundboard and equidistant from all strings. Second mike was a Beyer ribbon at 90 degrees and about three feet off the rear of the piano. The creaks are from the bench, which mortified our MM to no end. Personally, I think they add a bit of real life... Acoustics in the building are amongst the finest I've ever heard.

Handel on the Strand, Hubbard Ensemble - My only commercial release (not by me, it was a commission job). It was recorded at the Mesquite Performing Arts Center in Mesquite, TX. I felt the hall was way too live for chamber music, but as "hired gun," I was not the producer. However, I've grown quite found of the lush sound over the years. This Grainger piece features Delbert Petty (now retired) who was principal second chair violinist and his Amati.

Dave

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, I couldn't log on with the above address (on IE7/Windows XP Home), so I changed it to http://www.ftp.mallette.org thinking that might help, and I got Dave's resume and IST job description instead! Very impressive, Dave, but not what I wanted to hear. BTW, how did that Robert Morton restoration video come out?

Yeah, that's a problem. I don't know what the deal is with IE (other than Microsoft), but I have a trouble ticket in about it and will let you know. Firefox (which I use instead) works just fine. CuteFTP/PowerDeskFTP/or just about any FTP program works as well.

Anyone who downloads successfully please let us know with what...

The Texarkana folks have yet to get off their butts and raise some bucks. So the Morton moulders still in the basement of the Perot. Dang shame. Someday...

Dave

That's how it usually ends up...there's always great hoopla about restoring the grand ol' organ and their intentions are good, but the funds never materialize so the organ sits in storage, being ravaged by rodents and termites! Seen it happen all too many times, and it is a dang shame too!

My host geek, Vladimir, says it works fine with firezilla.

Sorry about the resume page, Jim. It's a couple of years old and I don't even know if the links work anymore. All please ignore if you get there.

Sorry in general this is not working well. I'll try to get it fixed. I did not (famous last words) expect FTP issues...but, there they are.

I did a bit of poking in IE and turned off passive mode in Internet Options, Advanced. Got in fine...but it says I am in directory UPLOADS. No such directory, and you cannot upload in anonymous mode anyway. Did I say I hate Microsoft? No? I HATE Microsoft.

I'll keep at it. Vlad usually responds in less than 24.

Dave

OK, guys, just hang on. There is no such directory on my site as "upload" and I have no idea why we are seeing it.

Feel free to try, but I am not going to respond until I hear something from Vladimir, my web geek. From anonymous mode I am seeing the same things you guys are. From my login, all is well and I see everything just fine. My feeling is that the issue lies with my site host provider.

When anonymous mode is fixed, I'll let you know.

Dave

Dave is still uploading the tunes, so you may get partial files.

That is true...

Figured out a few things which I won't go into. Those who saw the "Upload" directory should also see the files now. Do whatever you did to get there.

IE users need to set passive mode "off" (uncheck the box if checked) Do this in 'Internet Options>Advanced. See pix. Then go to "Page" and select "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer" You should then be able to drag and drop the files to your machine.

I am still transferring "St. James Infirmary" and it's failed several times, so don't try to download it until you see a files size of about 58mb.

I should hear from Vlad in the AM about any other issues, so let me know what they are.

Sheesh, can't even give the stuff away...

Dave

post-9494-13819354607074_thumb.jpg