You be the judge...

Mallette

I'll have to haul the laptop out to the living room for that, and I don't want to unhook it at the moment. I was listening through my smaller Alesis Monitor Ones, with a substantial amp driving them. Not the best monitors in the world, but I've heard far worse in studios. Since I sit here and listen to a lot of music, it is easily equal to most piano recordings I have heard. Tone, balance, attack, room... really nice to listen to.

When I get the last song downloaded, I'll just pop them onto a cd and use that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All files up now.

Bruce, and all: Listen on your best when convenient and listen critically. Like everyone, I love compliments. OTOH, nobody every learned anything from a compliment. Critique freely. You guys have the best ears on the planet. Let me know in the most specific terms what is lacking.

Regards to all,

Dave

People still use Internet Explorer? The only time I EVER use IE is if someone has an idiotic site that will only work with IE. Most clunky outdated browser ever. I'll try to download now using the browser from an AOL 2.0 disc circa '96. Wish me well. BTW I live almost literally right behind the Saxon. It is a South Austin live music staple.

Dave,

Sorry, but complements are all I have for you here.

The "Asylum Street Spankers" cut was really very good for such a venue, tight and likely "tight" as well.

The Hubbard Ensemble at the MPAC slightly overwhelmed (something) at one point and became somewhat "confused sounding", so I dialed it back slightly and played it again with much better results.

Finally, the recording of Claire de Lune was marvelous! The creaks from the bench (as well as the cough at 4:40) gave perspective and helped my mental picture of the event.

Please do rotate other recordings in and tell us of the arrivals.

I look forward to it.

Thanks,

Noah

People still use Internet Explorer? The only time I EVER use IE is if someone has an idiotic site that will only work with IE. Most clunky outdated browser ever. I'll try to download now using the browser from an AOL 2.0 disc circa '96. Wish me well. BTW I live almost literally right behind the Saxon. It is a South Austin live music staple.

The Spankers are playing two sets this Friday night at the Saxon. Ahhh the small synchronicities of life!

Listened on the living room system (LaScalas, BBX with SS amp), cranked up a bit.

Clair de Lune is my favorite of the three. Incredibly clear and tonally balanced. Enough of the room to give it some space.

The Grainger piece still sounds a bit muddy to me. The piano suffers the most from the room acoustics, the violin not so much. The room does impart a rather lush sound, but not my type of recording. It just sounds too distant in a big room.

The Spankers cut is great. Felt like I was sitting in a pub in the front row. I can just imagine the four channel recording. Nice mix, which given your recording technique means they balance themselves very well by themselves.

I'll give them more listens over the next few days.

Bruce:

It's great to have expert input, especially when it corresponds wiith your own. You will understand the sound of the Grainger from the following. First, my insistance on two mikes only and no mixer. The setup on the two violins and the piano turned out to be especially challenging in this regard, especially with the figure of 8 pattern of the ribbons. Then, of course, that empty 2500 seat hall which did not strike me as a "chamber" as much as a gymnasium with education. As this had to be done in one day for an entire CD and every piece required a different mike setup, it was quite a workout. I may post another piece or two from this one with different setups to see what you think. All are rather spacious, but, like I said, either I've rationalized to myself or come to peace with it as I sort of like it on clean systems. Nonetheless, if I had it to do over again and was producing as well as engineering, we'd have been in a smaller venue.

Those of you not familiar with recording will be able to relate to mike placement this way: It's like walking into a room with non-corner specific speakers and having, say, 20 minutes to decide where to put them while listening to one piece of music and then having to live with it.

Dave

Here's the deal...

I'll leave these up until after the first, then rotate out some other material. Please help anyone with download issues. I'll be on the road starting tomorrow through the 2nd visiting familiy and friends in a couple of places, but I'll try to check in as I can.

Have fun...

Dave

One other thing...in helping out a person on the Forum who downloaded but hadn't listened because he didn't have a soundcard I realized others might have the same problem.

If you have a reasonably new laptop you might be surprised at how good some of the stock chipsets are these days. You can just plug it straight in to line inputs and go. Also, these are 16/44.1 files you can burn to audio CD if you wish.

Dave

Dave, Thank you very much! I just listend to Clair de Lune and I must say that this truly is a referrence recording its amazingly clear and tonally beautiful! If you don't mind, what piano was it performed on?

I don't want to come off as being overtly critical and espcially disrespectful to Mr. Foster but the actual performance wasn't the best, but by far not the worst. Needs more emotion! [:)] I say this and now I have to dig out my sheetmusic in one of my boxes. Thank you very much for your efforts!

Update:

Love Handel on the Strand! Sounds alive, fun and full of enthusiasm. Reminds me of concerts back at music school. Cannot wait for you to add more peices. On that note, if you have done other recordings for CD's, where can we go about purchasing them?

It was a Kawai concert grand. As I recall, you are a collector of Clair de Lune performances, so your comment on the performance is no great surprise. The piano is very much a second instrument to Stewart as all his advance studies were on the organ.

Your commendation on the recording quality as "reference" warms me all over coming from a connoisseur of piano. It was my first attempt at piano, and I approached it with fear and trembling. I do not believe anything is more difficult to record and make it sound like anything but a recording. I researched, listened, and then went with my own mike plan.

Regards,

Dave

Bummer can't access with mac or pc ftp clients or web browsers :(

seti,

On a Mac using 10.4 and Safari, just put ftp://ftp.mallette.org in as a web address and that will mount the server on the desktop. With 10.5, that doesn't work, but you can go use the "go" menu in the finder "connect to server" and enter ftp://ftp.mallette.org and that will mount the server on the desktop.

Bob