You be the judge...

Mallette

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer can't access with mac or pc ftp clients or web browsers :(

seti,

On a Mac using 10.4 and Safari, just put ftp://ftp.mallette.org in as a web address and that will mount the server on the desktop. With 10.5, that doesn't work, but you can go use the "go" menu in the finder "connect to server" and enter ftp://ftp.mallette.org and that will mount the server on the desktop.

Bob

I am on 10.5 which I love but Safari is suprisingly terrible. I use firefoz exclusively now. I'll give the connect to server option a try. Thanks

Terminal on OS X did not work but command line on windows did work currently downloading StJames : ) THANKS

Gotta love the modern age.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default.aua>ftp
ftp> open
To ftp.mallette.org
Connected to ftp.mallette.org.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (ftp.mallette.org:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Password:
230 Anonymous user logged in.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
12-26-07 06:09PM 66559292 ClairdeLune.wav
12-26-07 06:42PM 48968684 HandelontheStrand.wav
12-26-07 07:14PM 58166708 StJamesInfirmary.wav
12-24-07 08:08AM <DIR> uploads
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 227 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 227000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> get StJamesInfirmary.wav
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for StJamesInfirmary.wav(58166708 bytes).

I think I need to find FTP for Dummies. On Firefox, I get "425 cannot open data connection"

Dee, are you using a Mac?

Marvel, thanks. Got it.

I'm using a Vista laptop. Went out and got a free FTP client, SmartFTP and that worked fine.

Dave,

Great recordings, bro. Thanks.

Dee,

Glad you got it. It shouldn't matter what platform you are on, it should have worked. Great music, isn't it?

I just went ahead and used the command line in a dos window on my XP laptop. Those command lines come in handy...

Bruce

Made it to Texarkana...

Jeez, nice to see you guys going to so much trouble. Hope it is worth it...

After my return I plan to move my sites to UNIX hosting. That should make things better. ANYTHING is better than Windoze...

Please tell me what you REALLY think, and most important be specific as to WHY.

Dave

I will shortly be migrating my sites to UNIX which will involve some downtime. Once back up, I'll have a lot more flexibility for ftp and other fun stuff.

If you've been intending to download these files I'd do it in the next couple of days. Once back up, I'll rotate in some different material.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Okies, next batch is up. I had a bit of extra space so I left the others up. Also, I mailed CD's to all who requested today except to Greg (fini). Greg: I am waiting until I have a moment to transfer the 24/88.2 Spankers files for you. Your package is packed and stamped, except for that.

While I haven't had any time to really take advantage of it yet, I've moved my sites to UNIX and access should be easier. Location is ftp.mallette.org/incoming. Cut and past that and it should get you there.

New stuff:

"Earth and All Stars" - performed on the 1861 Hook Organ at the Church of the Angels, Marine City, Michigan by Daniel John Susan. The PAW, kids, and I were traveling to Washington state for my nieces senior recital and HS graduation and took the scenic route to visit friends, including Daniel and his wife, former music minister at my old parish in Lewisville, Texas. He had composed this extraordinary extravaganza on the Anglican hymn tune of the same name. Having a traveling rig at the ready, I spent a full 15 minutes setting up and recording this awesome old tracker in a truly fine space. This instrument has been featureed on "Pipe Dreams." Daniel's performance isn't perfect...the whole session was impromptu and he was working without music. In this case, I was after all the "space" I could get of these delicious acoustics... How well did I succeed? I'd like your opinion.

Mozart - Embarrassing, but easier to be embarrassed than dig up the notes on this. First movement of well loved Mozart wind ensemble piece piece performed by the Dallas Camerata conducted by James Rives Jones. The acoustics were pretty poor in this Lutheran church and there was a buzz from some flourecents so the miking was done to minimize the influence of both. How well did I succeed? Let me know...

Brahm's "Andante u poco Adagio" for Clarinet and piano, performed by Paul Garner, principal clarinetist of the DSO, accompanied by Michelle McDonald, founder and artistic director of the Hubbard Chamber Music Series. Clarinet up close and personal miked with an RCA KU-3A ribbon mike, the "Stradivarius of Microphones." Pride of my collection and one of 600 made in the 1930's. You can hear his fingers half-keying... These acoustics were ABYSSMAL in a converted fire station. I miked to eliminate them entirely... How well did I succeed?

Have fun.

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

Earth and All Stars - I normally don't like the sound of the recorded music on Pipe Dreams, as there always is too much 'room' for my tastes. It never feels like I am in the space, so it just comes across as too reverberant. However, what you caught in this recording makes me feel as if I am in the room. The space of the 'delicious acoustics' doesn't overwhelm the sound of the organ itself. I would say that you succeeded very well, especially as you had your traveling rig with you. Nice composition, too.

Mozart - nice job of close mic'ing to clean up the audio while still retaining some room sound. Seems a little more mid-range sounding than the other two pieces, but I will visit this again on the other system to see.

Andante u poco Adagio - Very nice. The clarinet is dry and 'right there', but I like it. The piano is close enough that the notes don't get blurred in the acoustic space of the fire station. Pleasant to listen to. I might (personally) have the clarinet a tad bit lower, but the tonality it great. Certainly doesn't sound abyssmal, so I would say you succeeded on this on as well.

Just goes to show what lengths someone must go to to record on location. The simpler the better.

I give a thumbs up on all these... thanks again for sharing them (hope I don't just sound like I'm gushing over these, I really like them).

Bruce

Bruce:
Went to be with a big smile last night. You summarize precisely what I was after in each of these recordings. Lonelobo (Ron) was mentioning in "Sweet Thrift Store Finds" the sterility of so many recordings. Just before the PAW and I made the decision to complete her MBA, move south, and start her business I was preparing to record a seriese tentatively entitled "The Exploration of Space." I do not believe that any acoustic instrument is complete with a fine and appropriate space. It's like swigging a fine port straight from the bottle...just not right.

As to the clarinet piano balance, you are dead on there as well. I made the recording early in my experiments and was fixated on "shooting them where they stand." I did not use a mixer (and never have since) and it was a year or so before I convinced myself (silly as it seems now) that it was OK to do a bit of after the fact level balancing in the digital domain. However, even that must be done with extreme care so as not to impact the ambience. In the case of this one, I need to revisit it. I've a bit of latitude, perhaps as much as 6db, since I made such an effort to minimize the "ambience" of the converted fire station.

This work is generally a solitary pursuit. One is lucky to get a "very nice" from listeners...which is tantamount to saying the same to a painter or novelist who has poured their heart into a work. Granted, one doesn't really expect many to be able to discern and truly appreciate success in recording given that it is best described as not being noticiable in and of itself, but it is a real boost when someone does.

Of course, others may not get the same milage as you. In any event, I hope to hear from some of the rest on this.

Regards,

Dave

Just found this thread (and have been able to use IE to download the music)

Since I'm at work and use some 2 inch boston speakers on my PC...I'll try to burn this & take it home.

Question... might I presume that I simply burn them in the same format they're currently in?? I don't need to convert to any other format?

Depends on how you are going to play it. You'll need to make a Redbook (Audio CD) if you want to play it in a CD player. Otherwise, you have to use a PC to play them.

Almost all but the very simplest (Drag and drop, like Windows built in) CD burning software will burn Redbook.

Dave

Of course, others may not get the same milage as you. In any event, I hope to hear from some of the rest on this.

Dave, I replied to your post in the other thread -- what do I need to do to listen to these? Is this simple internet streaming?

Larry