New cart came today!

lwhaples

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I'm a bit cornfused. Is the standard thing to send in a DL-103 for them to remodel, or is the $399 for a completed cartridge? I have a DL-103, brand new, that I could send in...

The $399 price includes them providing the DL-103. If you provide the DL-103 it will cost you $200 plus $8 for S/H.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I am sick and I admit it.... I have ben using the zu audio 103 for a while. Prior to the zu audio 103 I was using a Shelter 901. I replaced the 901 with a 103R and then the 103R with the zu audio 103. I liked the 103 R better than the stock 103 and the 901. I liked the zu audio 103 way more than the 901 or the 103R. So I had zu audio mod up the 103R and as big of a **** as you think I am....yes the zu audio modded 103R is the best yet. The 103R and the zu audio 103 displayed a remarkable musical mid range with realistic and dynamic high and low end. The modded 103R just bested both. Very detailed witout being the least bit tinny. In order for my set up ( a medium /high mass tonearm and a plastic tt) my preference is

zu audio 103r

zu audio 103

stock 103r

Shelter 901

stock Denon 103

A couple folks were thinking about or had sent in there Denons I would be curious if their experience mirrors mine or if I have truly become a wanker.

Josh

Hmmmm... just great! I wish you would have mentioned this BEFORE I sent my 103 to Zu. [;)]

Actually, that's really nice to know. I really love the 103R over the stock 103, and look forward to hearing the Zu 103 when it gets here. If like you, I prefer it to the 103R, then I will send my 103R for modification as well. I'm assuming it was just $200 plus s/h when sending in your own cartridge?

Mike

I have been excitedly watching this thread. I am currently trying to scrimp some funds under the radar (daughters wedding in May) to cream the Blueberry, get the Techno weight for my Rega 300 and acquire a Zu modded 103. what exactly is the difference between the Zu 103 and the Zu 103r?

You would have to start with a stock 103R instead of a stock 103. You can find the 103R's off the intrernet for about $260 shipped to your door (or Zu's). Then send Zu $200 so they can mod it.That's all there is to it.

I have found the 103R to be much more revealing than the 103 (which can be had for about $150 shipped to your door) so I can certainly believe when it's put in an aluminum body it should even sound better. I guess I'll find out shortly...

Mike

I have been excitedly watching this thread. I am currently trying to scrimp some funds under the radar (daughters wedding in May) to cream the Blueberry, get the Techno weight for my Rega 300 and acquire a Zu modded 103. what exactly is the difference between the Zu 103 and the Zu 103r?

You won't be sorry on the cream option,down time is bad. But worth it! Good Luck on the scrimping.[Y]

Larry

I was loving the Zu Audio 103 so much and knowing that I thought the 103r was more revealing in the lows and the highs than the stock 103, I called zu audio and asked them is there was any reason they focused on the 103 versus the 103R. They said there was not other than the overall popluarity of the 103. They said that if I prefered the stock 103R to the stock 103 that I would prefer the modded one as well. They were right . All of ther resons I liked the stock 103R over the 103 are apparent with the modded one. We are not talking huge differences at this point as the delta between the modded vs modded and stock vs stock is not as great as stock vs modded if that makes sense.

For the 4 - 500.00 dollar range, the zu audio versions of these classic Denon carts are astounding.

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got my Zu 103 today and didn't waste any time setting it up. I pulled out my beloved 103R and couldn't believe how much heavier this thing is (8g heavier I think). I had to move my weight on the SME 3009 arm all the way to the end of the tonearm just to balance it (with a little of the butt sticking off). It didn't take long to get it dialed in and I fired up my first LP.

Let me just say this thing sounds phenomenal! Big time details and dynamics, and the soundstage is huge! The mids sound freakin' unbelieavable! I'm sure the ALK xovers and the 511B's help, but it's hard to believe this thing can sound this good for $350 (buy your own 103 and send it to them). My only complaint is the 103 is a little noisier than the 103R (clicks and pops, background noise), so I will be sending off my 103R to them this week to have the same treatment done.

If anyone is in the market for a new LOMC cartridge and is on a budget of less than $1K I would say to try this cart first, before investing bigger bucks. It is that good! I'll report back when I get the 103R back.

Happy for now... [:D]

Mike

Wow, one month turn-around! That's pretty good! So, I have an unused 103. Should I send that in, or sell it, get a 103R, and have that one modded? There aren't any Denons beyond the 103R that y'all are considering modding? Thanks you guys for doing all the research and experimenting!

Sorry for the delay, folks! I have been busy trying to get ready to get back out on the road tomorrow and had a number of things I needed to take care of.

Fini - Actually, I didn't drop off the cartridge until about 10 days ago due to not making it to the post office in Crystal City, Va. I carried the cartridge with me for 3 weeks on the road before finally making it to the post office (I'm only home on the weekends and play golf every Saturday morning, so can't make the post office while at home [:)] ). Zu turned it around in about 4 days, but I think they do them in batches every 3 weeks or so, so I must have caught them just right.

And yes, just send them the one you have... especially if it doesn't have that many hours on it. The one I'm listening to has well over 500 hours on it, and even though they don't do a retip it still sounds glorious! My 103R has about 40 hours on it, which I will be sending them.

Mark - Yes... basically the same, but those copper windings and coils make a big difference. The 103R is noticeably quieter, and appears to bring out more details than the 103. I would find it hard to believe if it can better the details of what I'm hearing now, but if it can just quiet things up a bit it will be well worth the extra $200.

Mike

Edit: I mentioned the ALK networks and 511B's earlier being partly responsible for what I am hearing, but I also am certain the VRD's/BBX with Cream have a lot to do with it as well. These 2 pieces of gear with my modified La Scala's and the Thorens just gel so well together. I wish I could get some people over here so they can experience it as well. I plan on putting something together in April or May, and we'll see who shows up. Suffice it to say my system has never sounded better!

My 103R must have been done in the same batch. I have read posts on - line that indicated that zu was slow in delivering. My experience is just the opposite. Fast turn around. This zu 103R is freaking amazing. all the mid range wonder of the 103 and the highs and lows of very expensive carts. It pains me to say but the Shelter 901 sounds tinny in comparison!

Josh