rf-7's vs la scala's question

turbobusa65

Turbo,

I've listened to both and there is just a different reference sound. I don't have the audiophile vocabulary to describe the difference, but to my ears, the Heritage speakers have more of a live sound. Whether the "difference" is "better" is a matter of subjective preference.

You might have some great fun with the LaScalas, even if you don't like them better than RF-7's. I'm a fan of Heritage sound, but not everyone is.

One thing, with 85's, they will need to be recapped to return them to factory spec. Those 22-23 year old caps will have drifted off spec. That's not really expensive, but will need to be done at some point. Some folks will be impressed with the sound even with the old crossovers. Freshening them up to spec is sweet indeed. Doesn't need to be high dollar caps, either.

The La Scalas will have less bass, BUT with very good recordings they may sound more real (and more "live"), particularly with jazz, chamber, etc. With harsh recordings they may be too revealing of the harshness. This may be less true with the new(er) La Scala IIs -- see the glowing review in Stereophile.

I have owned both at the same time. I went from a full rf7 setup to a full lascala setup. As others have stated the rf7's have more bass and are slimmer, but that is the only thing the 7's have over the lascalas. The lascala to my ears is a more natural sounding speaker i.e they disapear once the music starts. I never got that feeling from the 7's. I always felt like I was missing something when listening to the 7's in two channel. Not so with the lascalas. Even turning my subs off the lascalas still provide enough bass for two channel. A much more natural bass. As others have stated listen to both if you can as they are totally opposite sounding of one another especially in two channel.

Well I have two set's of rf-7's and two of Mr. Steve Decart's (Decware) wicked ones for sub's. But I think natural Is what i'm missing, Also I maybe hearing something I dont really care for comming from the adcom gear I am using to push everything, one of my adcom gfa555 has had alot of work done by musical concept. But I also want to try some tube gear, wich I have a mcintosh tube amp comming, a friend had one givin to him and he's giveing it to me (not shure on the model yet) I do know that if you catch a bad recording the RF-7's will let you know about it!! I think I will try to get the la scala's just to try, I already know the crossover's need to be sent to Mr.Bob to be freshend up, I have always wanted a set of la scala's anyway. Thank's

IMHO, I don't think I'd waste the money or time fooling with tube gear, (unless you just like to tinker). I have to chant the Sunfire montra again. I think you'll be extremely pleased if you tried the 400wpc adcom amps with Klipsch. I recently used the Sunfire on a pair of mid seventies Lascalla's (with original Caps) and Metal horns, it was MUCH more appealing than the ADCOM amp that I had tried on the same speakers the day before.

The Sunfire really kicks it up a notch (as emeril says), without the noticable harshness of the ADCOM. And I'm a real fan of ADCOM, I've been using a GFA 6000 for at least 15 years. While at the last pilgrimage, we were blessed with listening to a pair of 60th ann. Khorns (this was the first time I heard a pair that were PROPERLY set up in a room), and some type of realitively high power tube amp. I was less than impressed at the control of the bass line of the Khorn setup, My Chorus's did better, although at low power the khorns were very well balanced. I'd love to see how a pair of Khorns would handle the Sunfire amp, I think that'd be a new platau for my quest for audio nirvana.........

IMHO, I don't think I'd waste the money or time fooling with tube gear, (unless you just like to tinker). I have to chant the Sunfire montra again. I think you'll be extremely pleased if you tried the 400wpc adcom amps with Klipsch. I recently used the Sunfire on a pair of mid seventies Lascalla's (with original Caps) and Metal horns, it was MUCH more appealing than the ADCOM amp that I had tried on the same speakers the day before.

The Sunfire really kicks it up a notch (as emeril says), without the noticable harshness of the ADCOM. And I'm a real fan of ADCOM, I've been using a GFA 6000 for at least 15 years. While at the last pilgrimage, we were blessed with listening to a pair of 60th ann. Khorns (this was the first time I heard a pair that were PROPERLY set up in a room), and some type of realitively high power tube amp. I was less than impressed at the control of the bass line of the Khorn setup, My Chorus's did better, although at low power the khorns were very well balanced. I'd love to see how a pair of Khorns would handle the Sunfire amp, I think that'd be a new platau for my quest for audio nirvana.........

An unimformed statement.

======================

I went from a full rf7 setup to a full lascala setup. As others have
stated the rf7's have more bass and are slimmer, but that is the only
thing the 7's have over the lascalas. The lascala to my ears is a more
natural sounding speaker i.e they disapear once the music starts.
I
never got that feeling from the 7's. I always felt like I was missing
something when listening to the 7's in two channel. Not so with the
lascalas. Even turning my subs off the lascalas still provide enough
bass for two channel.

A well informed statement.

If you get them; recap the old LaScalas immediately.

An unimformed statement.

======================

I went from a full rf7 setup to a full lascala setup. As others have stated the rf7's have more bass and are slimmer, but that is the only thing the 7's have over the lascalas. The lascala to my ears is a more natural sounding speaker i.e they disapear once the music starts. I never got that feeling from the 7's. I always felt like I was missing something when listening to the 7's in two channel. Not so with the lascalas. Even turning my subs off the lascalas still provide enough bass for two channel.

Ouch!!! That's scalding, and in so few words.

Audio Flynn, you caught me in a typo. I meant to say that he'd be pleased with a 400wpc Sunfire, not ADCOM, My bad (god I hate that statement). And I also feel I need to elaborate my thoughts. I may be uninformed with tube gear, but I do know that the best day a tube has is when it's new. Tubes do degrade over time. If I implied that SS is better than tubes, I'm sorry I implied that. I just feel that Sunfire does a very good job and is a stable platform in today's integrated HT's. Mine is on all the time, with kids in the house. I'd hate to have an expensive tube gear, with the likes of Scooby Doo being run through it for hours on end.

ha ha ha you guy's crack me up!! your alright in my book. Well it look's like the La scala's are mine, so i'm off on another journey and it's like I have ants in my pants!! so you can add La scala's to my list at the bottom!!! it will be a few weeks before I can get'um here, but it's been a life long dreame of mine to have a set!!!!!! Thanks to all who responded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I recoup a little more money I'll let Mr. Bob do his thing and get a set of the big crossovers!!!

An unimformed statement.

======================

I went from a full rf7 setup to a full lascala setup. As others have stated the rf7's have more bass and are slimmer, but that is the only thing the 7's have over the lascalas. The lascala to my ears is a more natural sounding speaker i.e they disapear once the music starts. I never got that feeling from the 7's. I always felt like I was missing something when listening to the 7's in two channel. Not so with the lascalas. Even turning my subs off the lascalas still provide enough bass for two channel.

Ouch!!! That's scalding, and in so few words.

Audio Flynn, you caught me in a typo. I meant to say that he'd be pleased with a 400wpc Sunfire, not ADCOM, My bad (god I hate that statement). And I also feel I need to elaborate my thoughts. I may be uninformed with tube gear, but I do know that the best day a tube has is when it's new. Tubes do degrade over time. If I implied that SS is better than tubes, I'm sorry I implied that. I just feel that Sunfire does a very good job and is a stable platform in today's integrated HT's. Mine is on all the time, with kids in the house. I'd hate to have an expensive tube gear, with the likes of Scooby Doo being run through it for hours on end.

So few here know me.

My depature from Vinyl was due to a bent stylus in 1988 or so. Not a good decision. Mnay of us old fart made bad deciasions decades ago.

Train the kids with vigor.

My kids know they tougch neither firearms or audio equipment without permission.