How much power with Heresy II's?

mcp

I recently tried an 8 wpc tube amp (Eastern Electric) with my Heresy IIs and did not like the results. Bass was feeble compared to my Yamaha CR-1040. I'd be interested to hear what kind of power HII owners use here...I'm wondering if I should stay with high power SS or 35-50 tube watts...

Although they are not slouches in the efficiency department, the Heresy IIs can't compete with the fully horn loaded LaScala, Klipschorn, or Jubilee Klipschorn.

You may find it a stretch to power them with 8 watt amps. I'm not going to knock the amps, it just depends on your listening habits. I have some 3.5W 2A3 maps that I keep saying I will try on my Heresy IIs, but I have been too lazy to hook them up. They are in my bedroom, though, and I don't listen very loudly there. Currently they are powered with an vintage H/K 430 SS amp. Plenty of power for me.

Thirty watts or so could drive them quite nicely, whether tube or solid state.

Bruce

The H/K 430 is one of my faves...I've owned the 430, 730 and 930 in the past. Can't go wrong with any of them. I have a Marantz 2230 on the way. I'm looking for a little warmer sound compared to the Yamaha. Can anyone here compare the Sansui 9500 to the Marantz 2230 or H/K 730?

I think what I'm looking for is a warmer sound. All of the units have enough power to drive the HIIs to insane levels (including the 8 watt Eastern Electric). It's just that the HIIs seem to need a little current to fill out the bottom octaves. Maybe I'm wrong...I think that, with vintage tube amps, it comes down to how well restored they are. I've owned 3 Fisher 400s and they've all sounded different. The first one I owned had a beautiful, full sound...should've never sold it. The other two sounded thin by comparison. I would love to try a Scott integrated...

mcp,

However if you want warm sound, try NAD - SOME say warm, others say it almost sounds muffled..................if you get a chance listen. Good Luck.

Also to stir the pot - if you don't need a receiver, try an Integrated Amplifier, good clean sound that is amazing.

That's interesting (and surprising) that the Fisher 400's sounded different. I've got a 500B that makes the Heresy's sound fabulous. I was playing music for my brother in law on that system and telling him, wait til you hear the Khorns. He said, well, what am I missing now? The heresy's sounded that good.

Mike-

Been very busy, but enjoying life. Looks like it was about this time last year that I was here. Since then, my son was born, finished my Masters, and been working my butt off on the NASA program that will replace the space shuttle. This year will probably be as busy, but with a different focus. Didn't get to spend much time in the theater last year (or with the K-horns) with work/school, and I was hoping to do some tweaks to it over the holidays, but with 2 kids, that's pretty tough. I still want to roll another Chorus II in as my center between the others, and maybe I can still get that done soon. Love the Academy, but I bet a Chorus II will sound even better. Hanging in there otherwise. Actually visited today because of a Sound & Vision article on the P-39, and have spent some time surfing around. Maybe a visit with the '08 Pilgrimage is in the cards...

Rob

Been very busy, but enjoying life. Looks like it was about this time last year that I was here. Since then, my son was born, finished my Masters, and been working my butt off on the NASA program that will replace the space shuttle.

So what kind of speakers do they use on the International Space Station? We know they listen to music up there. Or is it classified?

I can't say for sure, but knowing how NASA works, probably B*SE. :)

Weight is a killer in space, so you want things as light as possible. Maybe they could take up a small ProMedia 2.1 system?? I sure like mine at my desk. Now, if I were doing it, there'd be Heritage speakers on ISS! Probably need an extra shuttle flight just to bring up all the gear!