Reference RF-3 or Reference RF-5 ???

fire pinch

Hi Pinch.The rf5s have a different stronger compression driver than the rf3s and also a larger horn. Interestingly though the smaller horn rf3s have a lower crosover point (1950htz) while the rf5s with the larger horns are crossed up around (2500htz). I don't really understand why. I'm pretty sure they used to cross the rf3s a little higher. Anyway I bought rb5s a while back because of the lower crossover point that they had, I wanted more music coming from the horn compression driver, that's the sound I like that is what makes Klipsch speakers so special to me. Check out the comparison shop function on the Reference products page. cwm12.gif

BB

This message has been edited by Big Bean on 01-06-2002 at 11:41 AM

Thank you very much for your answers! I think that I'm gonna listen carefully to both of them in a few weeks or a month. I knew that Rf-5 use a better compression driver. But I expected to see more difference because the RF-5 cost almost two times more. Mmm, for the money, I don't know if I should really buy the RF-5. I'll see...

When I compared the RF-3 to the RF-5 I noticed a significant difference in their sound. I think the RF-5 sounded more "laid back" where the RF-3's were definitely the brighter of the two.

I currently own the RF-3's and am very happy with them. I was also very impressed with the RF-5's. You'll have to compare for yourself and decide.

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a pair of floor model RF-3's about a week ago (wanted the price break and have them already broken in). Had the chance to compare them to the RF-5's in the showroom. While I did notice that the RF-5's had a warmer, smoother sound, the RF-3's matched my listening room accoustics better. My room tends to suck the sound out of most other speaker brands that I've tried, and burries the sound somewhere in the room where I can't find it. The RF-3's are much more revealing in my room, and much more pleasant to listen to than any other speaker I've tried.

All that said, spensing less on the RF-3's definately meant "more" in my specific case. Your milage may vary. I love the 3's, and reccommend them to anyone who wants an excellent performing speaker at a reasonable price.

This message has been edited by whell on 01-19-2002 at 01:39 PM