LCD vs Plasma

wyattearp

I know this has been blogged almost to the death here and elsewhere, but I value everyone's opinion here. Upgrading from a 32" JVC digital CRT. Viewing distance of 13 to 14 feet and that's probably the maximum. It depends on how I arrange the room. The TV will probably not be mounted on the wall, due to wiring/construction issues. Budget of 2500-3000, 4 max.

Currently looking at 50,58" plas Panas, 52" LCD Sharp and Lg, possibly a Sony LCD. All 1080p. Since my A/V receiver is Pioneer, I will probably look at Pioneer also...

Non-gamer, currently regular cable, soon to go digital, and updating to HD DVD...[&][&]

Thanks!

&

I might suggest you look at the samsung LED LCD which has rows and rows of led lights (those small lights that never burn out) that basically turn on only where they are needed so say there is a black area, most lcds produce a bit gray as they have ccfl which cover the whole screen. But the led only turns it on where needed so the blacks stay crisp and also the leds produce a cleaner picture.

I have found the Pioneer Elite Plasma's to have an excellent picture. At that distance I would not be to concerned about 1080P. I belive you will find at a very good 1080I will look as good at that distance.

Go have a look at a Pioneer Elite Plasma you will not be sorry.

I would go 1080P, too.

To me, the top Panasonic Plasmas have accurate color and black levels second only to the Pioneer Elite but are more affordable. See for yourself.

If I were buying today I would look again at the new Samsung LCDs with high refresh rate and Motion de-blurring but again, more money.

Been strongly leaning towards the Panasonic 42PX75U Model

I'm going to pick one up for the BR when I catch it under $1,000.

I bought the 50" version for the main room...stunning picture.

why yes Bill H. posted the sale before and we brought it. though if you shop around the 50 inch is around 1300 but would not fit in our car. The picture is stunning even though we don't have cable, we get digital signal since we live 7 miles from NYC.

Arky,

Just Checked the Price. 42" 1,099.99 + Tax................... At Sears
What's 99.99 among Friends....................

The 50" was 1599.99 :>(

Hummmmmmmmmmm Need - Want- Urge.................Must ....resist......Urge............AHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

p.s. no affliation...............bla bla bla...............

Thanks everyone!

I went to a local family-owned TV/appliance center today that carries about every brand, but maybe a limited selection on some. They had a Samsung 50" "Led engine" (?) set that was impressive. Also looked at a Pioneer 43" and some Samsung 46"s. They even had an older (I believe) Elite, though I don't recall the resolution. Haven't researched their prices, but will no doubt be higher than the box stores, but they are local folks AND, OMG!!! they have a service department and will come to your house!

The quest continues...[8-|]

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=21 - This is 1080i, which may not be 1080p, but it's interesting. ~$2,500 for a 60 inch.

Here's an interesting 65 incher - http://www.olevia.com/products/specs.aspx?pid=265T%20FHD for around 6 grand. 1080p w/tuner(s) I think. Pricey.

Another w/o the built in tuner - http://www.olevia.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=565H. These are about $2,500 and here's a review - http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/207rptvface/index1.html. This is tempting, no internal tuner as I recall tho - should be okay with digital cable I would think.

Note those prices are just quick internet searches - they may vary etc, etc.

Happy hunting.

Definitely go 1080P. I don't know much about Samsung LCD. But their plasma sucks. I have a 50" plasma and the video noise appeared just after 5 months and now it's unbearable. The video noise would appear whenever I turn it on or change to another input. It may take up to 20- 30 minutes for them to disappear. And image retention and burn-in became very noricable now. I had done all their screen protection routinely and never let static image on the screen. Never buy a Samsung plasma, even it's a good deal.

Since your not mounting it on the wall, check out the Sony KDS 50A3000 rear projection. You can buy 2 of these TV's with your budget. No lost contrast issues (flat panels), burn-in screens (plasma), or size issues (older rear projections). It's 14" wide and 70lbs. LCos-based SXRD technology, the most color-accurate RPTV money can buy today, full 1080p resolution, motion enhancer (120Hz processing), and 3 HDMI inputs. If your not afraid of buying online (just make sure they are a Sony authorized dealer and it's not a refurb), check out www.vanns.com. Last week my best friend bought his for 1299.00 no tax, free shipping, free Harmony 550 remote, and 18 months no interest financing. I bought mine locally for 1299.00 but had to pay tax. And no I don't work for Vann's.

Consumer reports rates the Panasonic plasma's and the Sony LCD's the highest. I went with the Sony KDL-52W3000 LCD. LCD technology has been around longer.

If you have a bright room plasma screen has a lot of reflection. LCD has very little.

Thanks everyone!

I went to CC today and looked some more. I also have to find a stand that my KLF-7 will fit in, and there aren't many out there for an 11" high speaker that's 27" wide. May have to construct something...

Jmelet, I looked at the Sony KDS60A3000 today and CC has 'em for 1849. A DVD was playing on it and it looked great. Also read on cnet that the 55" has a high rating. I'm heading away from plasma due to my current viewing room being pretty bright, especially during daylight hours, though I've darkened it some. I also may be able to shelf the KLF on top of a DLP. Also looked at Vann's.

The Samsung 61" DLP 1080p HLT6176S looked pretty good, also. But you never know wht type of input they're gietting at a box store. Decent price also at 1900. Samsung HLT5676S might also be an option.

Oh, and one other thing: (this should really start something...) are Monster power supplies/filters worth the price?