Owner's Report - The First Hundred Days of Jubilee Ownership

Bill W.

First, a little background...

Almost a year ago I began the quest for a pair of Jubilees for playback of live and recorded music at our restaurant. We knew that customers responded very well when we upgraded our sound system to include Heresy Industrials in the main dining room and LaScala Industrials on the outdoor patio for live music applications. We recently expanded our outdoor patio with a small performance stage and additional seating and were looking for a speaker system with the ability to cover a large area with very uniform response and state-of-the-art sound quality. The LaScalas were only used for live music and are not suited for continuous duty outdoors and the resulting exposure to the elements. I had read all the posts regarding the Jubilees and felt they might be a great choice for our application if a weather-resistant version could be produced. I submitted a special order request to Klipsch specifying Jubilees constructed of marine-grade plywood. The request was approved and the speakers were built and delivered to our restaurant in September.

There are those who feel it is not wise to purchase expensive gear without the opportunity to hear it first. I have always followed that advice until now. What made this situation different was two factors: Lack of easy access to a pair for audition and the very extensive writings of forum members that described in detail their perceptions of systems I am very familiar with. When I can accurately correlate my perceptions and experiences to those of other writers, I learn to trust their qualitative descriptions of the strengths and weaknesses being discussed. This has allowed me to place alot of weight on their descriptions of a system I had not heard prior to ordering.

I should include some information here about my equipment to provide some context for my comments on performance. I have owned Klipschorns since I bought my first pair as a freshman in college in 1975. Over the years, I have added one or more pairs of every Heritage model in existence to my collection. I listen to each Heritage model on a regular if not a daily basis so I am very familiar with the characteristics of each model as well as the differences between models. Needless to say, I truly enjoy the lifelike, dynamic presentation that Klipsch systems provide.

The collective value of descriptions of the Jubilees by owners and others who have heard them have created very high expectations for their performance. I felt that some of the reporting may have been "over the top" until I had the opportunity to hear them. I must say that I was not prepared for the level of performance they provide. The Klipschorn Jubilee is easily the finest loudspeaker system I have ever heard. I will attempt to characterize different aspects of their performance by comparison with other Heritage models rather than other brands of speakers which many readers here may not be familiar with.

Bass Performance...

In comparing the Jubilee with the Klipschorn, the bass seems equally deep yet two factors emerge in favor of the Jubilee. First, overall frequency response is smoother including the absence of the mid-bass hump found in the Klipschorn. This results in a more natural sounding bass presentation indoors and out, especially noticable on male vocals and streams of successive notes on the scale where differences in volume are readily apparent. The second factor which stands out is the overall sonic characteristic of the bass which is related to the reduced exit angles of the Jubilee bass horn. Many people describe the upper bass region of the LaScala as being "fast, more real, or more distinct" than that of the Klipschorn. the same characteristic is present with the bass from the Jubilee. Also associated with this is the tendency of the Klipschorn to direct more bass energy along the walls, off axis of the speaker and its treble system. This can make the Klipschorn sound bass-heavy off axis and thin on axis in some rooms. The Jubilee does not display this characteristic because it has very well-behaved polar response across its operating range. IMHO, the Jubilee bass horn is a home run, a significant performance gain over its predecessor.

Treble Performance...

Paul Klipsch often said "The treble is where we live." Clearly, he realized that accuracy in the treble region was very important for conveying the sense of realism and detail present in music. It is true that far more time was devoted to the development of the treble system of the Klipschorn than the bass horn. Despite this, The creation of the Jubilee itself is evidence that he was always looking for a way to improve the treble performance of the Klipschorn by expanding the frequency range of the bass horn, allowing the use of a single-driver treble horn top end. In my view, this has been accomplished in spectacular fashion with the 402 horn k-69 driver combination. There are three factors which stand out here. An extremely smooth frequency response, with no hint of coloration in the midrange and the outstanding polar pattern where on-axis frequency response does not diminish as one moves off-axis. the result is very even coverage for every listener's position. One can't fully appreciate this quality until you experience it. The third factor is the gain of cohesiveness of all treble events by the elimination of a crossover point with separate drivers operating in the 6000hz region. Eliminating the need for this crossover point is much more important than I had realized. I have heard many different treble horns over the years, but this has been a real eye-opener. The treble horn system of the Jubilee is the best I have ever heard, period!

Overall System Performance...

Perhaps the best part of the Jubilee system is how well the bass and treble horns integrate with each other to form the "whole package". Very smooth frequency response, outstanding polar patterns that match up extremely well, ultra-low distortion and absolutely no hint of "coming apart" sonically when they are driven hard. One may think that this system doesn't start to sound good until it begins to get loud. Not the case at all.. The Jubilees provide more audible detail at whispering levels (60 - 70dB) than any system I can think of.

Comments from Listeners...

First, I want to say that I have been busy rediscovering hundreds of hours worth of my music (reel to reel tape, vinyl and cd's) There is alot of music behind the music I could never hear well before now. At the risk of alienating some readers, some of the "defects" that I have attributed to recordings turn out to be the speakers I was listening to. With a few exceptions, most of my older recordings sound significantly better, cleaner and plain more natural on Jubilees than any of my Heritage systems. The sound of male and female voices as well as applause really tells the story, setting the different systems apart from each other.

I will share a cross-section of comments from listeners at our restaurant as well as those from invited guests to our home where I have been A/Bing the Jubilees to our Klipschorn / Belle Klipsch center system , as well as a TSCM system and the LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys.

"OMG... Where did you get those?" "This is the best sound I have ever heard" "Can I come back with my wife? she has GOT to hear these!" "I would rather have a pair of those than my new truck." "I have got to find a way to get some" Not everyone has been happy. I have seen anger from a few people who have very high $$$$ home systems that by their own admission just got bested by a pair of Jubilees at a fraction of their investment. That is very hard to reconcile when they have been putting all their resources into a "trophy system" that took years to build up. If there is one common element to the negative comments, it revolves around the utiitarian look of theatre black cabinets and the lack of furniture-grade options for consideration in a home environment. If that aspect ever changes, look out! I will place my order for a second pair for home use!

I'll be happy to respond to any specific questions any of you may have.

Sincerely, Bill W.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Very nice description of how they sound, it's not easy to explain a difference in sound.

Glad you and your customers like them so much, sounds like a great place, if we are ever out that way on vacation I would love to visit.

Good luck with the restaurant.

Very nice storyl!!

I think it's fantastic that you have such a unique situation where you can allow hundreds of people to hear them. You're much more eloquent than SOME of those Jubilee owners who simply blather & froth at the mouth... [*-)] [:$] [:#].

I'm beginning to think we should have the next Klipsch Pilgramage in Colorado..... Silverton to be exact.... near the train tracks.... [Y]

Who needs Hope & Indianapolis when we can have Jubilees singing in the Rocky mountains?

...There are those who feel it is not wise to purchase expensive gear without the opportunity to hear it first...

...The collective value of descriptions of the Jubilees by owners and others who have heard them have created very high expectations for their performance. I felt that some of the reporting may have been "over the top" until I had the opportunity to hear them. I must say that I was not prepared for the level of performance they provide. The Klipschorn Jubilee is easily the finest loudspeaker system I have ever heard...

Bass Performance...

...In comparing the Jubilee with the Klipschorn, the bass seems equally deep yet two factors emerge in favor of the Jubilee. First, overall frequency response is smoother including the absence of the mid-bass hump found in the Klipschorn. This results in a more natural sounding bass presentation indoors and out, especially noticable on male vocals and streams of successive notes on the scale where differences in volume are readily apparent. The second factor which stands out is the overall sonic characteristic of the bass which is related to the reduced exit angles of the Jubilee bass horn. Many people describe the upper bass region of the LaScala as being "fast, more real, or more distinct" than that of the Klipschorn. the same characteristic is present with the bass from the Jubilee...

Treble Performance...

...Paul Klipsch often said "The treble is where we live." Clearly, he realized that accuracy in the treble region was very important for conveying the sense of realism and detail present in music. It is true that far more time was devoted to the development of the treble system of the Klipschorn than the bass horn. Despite this, The creation of the Jubilee itself is evidence that he was always looking for a way to improve the treble performance of the Klipschorn by expanding the frequency range of the bass horn, allowing the use of a single-driver treble horn top end. In my view, this has been accomplished in spectacular fashion with the 402 horn k-69 driver combination. There are three factors which stand out here. An extremely smooth frequency response, with no hint of coloration in the midrange and the outstanding polar pattern where on-axis frequency response does not diminish as one moves off-axis. the result is very even coverage for every listener's position. One can't fully appreciate this quality until you experience it. The third factor is the gain of cohesiveness of all treble events by the elimination of a crossover point with separate drivers operating in the 6000hz region. Eliminating the need for this crossover point is much more important than I had realized. I have heard many different treble horns over the years, but this has been a real eye-opener. The treble horn system of the Jubilee is the best I have ever heard, period!...

Overall System Performance...

...Perhaps the best part of the Jubilee system is how well the bass and treble horns integrate with each other to form the "whole package". Very smooth frequency response, outstanding polar patterns that match up extremely well, ultra-low distortion and absolutely no hint of "coming apart" sonically when they are driven hard. One may think that this system doesn't start to sound good until it begins to get loud. Not the case at all.. The Jubilees provide more audible detail at whispering levels (60 - 70dB) than any system I can think of...

Comments from Listeners...

First, I want to say that I have been busy rediscovering hundreds of hours worth of my music (reel to reel tape, vinyl and cd's) There is alot of music behind the music I could never hear well before now. At the risk of alienating some readers, some of the "defects" that I have attributed to recordings turn out to be the speakers I was listening to. With a few exceptions, most of my older recordings sound significantly better, cleaner and plain more natural on Jubilees than any of my Heritage systems. The sound of male and female voices as well as applause really tells the story, setting the different systems apart from each other.

"OMG... Where did you get those?" "This is the best sound I have ever heard" "Can I come back with my wife? she has GOT to hear these!" "I would rather have a pair of those than my new truck." "I have got to find a way to get some" Not everyone has been happy. I have seen anger from a few people who have very high $$$$ home systems that by their own admission just got bested by a pair of Jubilees at a fraction of their investment. That is very hard to reconcile when they have been putting all their resources into a "trophy system" that took years to build up. If there is one common element to the negative comments, it revolves around the utiitarian look of theatre black cabinets and the lack of furniture-grade options for consideration in a home environment. If that aspect ever changes, look out! I will place my order for a second pair for home use!

I'll be happy to respond to any specific questions any of you may have.

Sincerely, Bill W.

Bill W.,

One of the most important pieces of information that I would like to know is, "what room/venue are you using--I assume it is outside(?) If so, is there a roof and side walls?"

I haven't owned my K-402/K-69 two-way Jubilees for 100 days yet but I don't think that I need 100 to concur with everything you said relative to the Jubilee's sound. I haven't been around the suite of Klipsch Heritage products in a long time to have an opinion about those comments you made.

Now for more granular discussion based on your writeup above. The comments about not being able to hear them before you buy them - I was in the same situation and fortunately through this forum I bet and won on other Jubilee hearers' experiences. This was a big risk but I believe in the "Wisdom of Crowds" for this sort of thing. I have to say that the K402/K69 two-way Jubilees are one of the best kept secrets I've seen. I understand Klipsch's problem of not being able to have retail listening rooms for these. My contribution to this issue--I offer my listening room on a reasonable basis for those that want to hear them. You can get in touch via this forum (via email or PM). I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area about 25 minutes drive from DFW International.

I cannot remember a home listening experience that matches the one in my den now. I might have heard theater or movie installations that match or better it, but it's really hard to remember and somewhat unfair to compare because of the differential size of the rooms. The two-way Jubilee is the best speaker system for small/medium size room that I can remember that I've experienced.

Bass perf: I find that the Jubilee bass response is much better in my small-to-intermediate-sized listening room (i.e., ~5500 cubic feet) than the Khorn clones I had in their place. I won't try to infer why but I will tell you that this is the first thing that grabs everyone's attention. The ease, accuracy and depth of the Jubilee bass response (without subs, which IMHO are not needed for my venue) is an experience that needs to be first hand. Put on any really well-recorded jazz combo with string bass and you will immediately hear but it will take you a moment the believe what you are hearing. Everyone I've seen falls silent in mid-sentence as they turn their full attention to listening.

Treble perf: I will try to infer something here--not having two crossover regions is a really big deal. The 500 Hz crossover point I'm currently using leaves the K402/K69 uncompromised in its operating region to have outstanding imaging, depth, frequency/loudness stability and focus. Ultra-low distortion is probably another factor here. The bass traps in the corners help to clarify the bass region so that the 500+ Hz performance is tonally balanced with the bass for a realistic performance--"real" is the key word here. This is the second thing that usually grabs everyone's attention. These units don't sound "loud" like other speakers - turn up the gain and they sound more and more like "...you are there...". No other explanation can suffice until you hear them.

Overall perf: Everyone that hears these speakers in this venue says the same thing--that they are hearing things in their favorite recordings that they've never heard before. This includes folks in their 60s and 80s (mostly males) with significant natural hearing loss due to age. My 80-year-old father even mentioned that he was hearing things that he had not heard in many years. Females have an advantage in auditory capability with advancing age, and the females that have come through here have mentioned that they sound natural and alive - like the performers are in the room.

Comments from listeners: I fear that the worst part of this discourse is that many people simply will not allow themselves to believe that these words could be true. If they have a lot of bucks sown into things other than Jubilees (like other speakers and expensive electronics), I fear that they will be more inclined to discount and nit-pick these words. My only comment is "bring your own music sources and listen for yourselves".

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Chris A.

comments from listeners at our restaurant as well as those from invited guests to our home where I have been A/Bing the Jubilees to our Klipschorn / Belle Klipsch center system , as well as a TSCM system and the LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys.

Bill, Have you moved them back/forth? Moving Jubilees isn't too high on my "10 things I want to do before I die" list. I once wondered what you would do in your off season... leave the Jubilees at the restaurant or grunt them home?

Wow! This has sure whetted my apetite for a pair (or two [:P])

One very small feedback...Paul actually said, "The midrange is where we live". But the statement in the original post still makes sense in context because the Jubilee is a two-way system and there is only one HF driver.

Doug,

the 2 way version isn't shown on the forum but is availalbe as a special order. The 'standard' 3-way version is in the cinema lineup and IS shown on the forum, but that is not what we're using.

You can read this thread and get a drift on what the deal is, OR just do a search on Jubilee and grab a pot of coffee

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/77599/767705.aspx#767705

The delivery pictures are on about page 11

Are these things on the Klipsch website? If so, can someone post a link? My feeble brain is not turning them up anywhere...

A more current pic. The things on top are bass traps. I haven't decided how to hang them yet--they work really well in their current locations.

post-28404-13819354924994_thumb.gif