Owner's Report - The First Hundred Days of Jubilee Ownership

Bill W.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what are the RCA/XLR issues?

The connectors. XLR connectors are 3-pin "professional" connectors that you generally can't buy off the shelf from RadioShack. RCA connectors are the ones that you can buy from RadioShack. I go to Guitar Center locally to buy XLR stuff. XLR is clearly superior in noise/EMI characteristics. But if you've got a rack full of components that have RCA connectors (most of us do...) then you can spend a fortune buying RCA/XLR adapters.

Chris

P.S. Thanks for the reply, Richard, on the Dx-38--I couldn't imagine that it didn't have attenuators available to the user. That's a good portion of the job of a "balancing crossover network", as Roy puts it.

I guess I would need to hear a pair with SS driving the bass bins and tubes driving the top horns

I can cover you on the tube/solid state (McIntosh 2102 on top and Crown on bottom)

THEN, I can also cover you with all solid state if you wish (though not XTi's)

If you ever care to do it... I'm just a hop/skip up the road! [au]

Question... (and maybe some have a philosophical issue with this...BUT...)

Doesn't the Guitar Center sell those things? (Xti's) If so... don't they have a return policy?

You could nab one or two...bring them along, try them after the McIntosh setup and see what you think.

Heck... could probably even set up Crown on one channel and McIntosh on the other, either with or without another Crown on bottom

Just some ideas

Ya know Mike... I just had a "WOW, I could have had a V-8" moment...

If you ever cared to come up (and I could put you up overnight), you could simply BRING your VRD's with you. You'd then be able to compare them with some Crown on the bottom, next to McIntosh on top, next to solid state both ways... Stop in Atlanta on your way & grab those two grubby looking hitch-hikers (JC & Mark) and we'll throw some burgers on the grill again.

Would only need to know the input sensativity of the VRD's (something I personally would like to hear).

The Crowns are the best bang for the buck. BUT...the Crowns are noisy. They hiss like a mad cat. The VRDs were very quiet. In the end I deal with the hiss because when the music is playing it is inaudible and my system really sounds great as is. It was a bargain way to get into active crossovers w/DSP and the 2-way operation I wanted. I can't say enough about the 2-way w/active and the improvements they bring.

The noise through my system is about the same as when I had the Peach in the system -- I can just barely hear it from the chair. Maybe I shouldn't say it was the Peach since it could have been the NOS Amperex I was using. Anyways, there is some hiss, but it's not bad. Late at night I listen at 70dB or lower, and it's cleaner and as sweet as anything I've ever heard. I do have an Aphex 124A in the system. I've tried it several times with and without, and the sound is more dynamic at the lower volume levels.

I am using a Peach to drive the Crowns as you know. But I still get the hiss even when the Peach is off. When the Peach output relays engage at startup there is a small amount of additional noise in the system...but just a small amount. The lion's share of the noise is the Crown hiss. There is no Crown hum at all. When I had my Khorn system and had Peach/VRD combo......that was a quiet setup for tubes IMHO. Not much noise at all. The only thing quieter than that that I ever heard from tubes was my HH Scott 299.....dead silent with ear to Khorn HF section. The Crown forum has lots of comments about XTI hiss. Both of my XTIs sound identical. I don't believe there is anything wrong with either of them. That's just how they operate. Maybe with a lesser pair of speakers there'd be less hiss. Probably. Anyhow like I said, the hiss is inaudiable once the music plays. I still say the Crowns are a great bargain that I would do all over again. They also mate well with the Peach preamp. I really like the combo and will probably be buying a new Peach fairly soon now that the prices have dropped.

Something else; the Jubilee with active filtering has higher sensitivity than the Klipschorn with passive networks. How much exactly I don't know, but 2dB wouldn't surprise me. It doesn't sound like much, but it is -- and any noise in the system will be louder through an active Jubilee than a passive driven Klipschorn.

I've always liked the sound of the Peach and I'm really happy with how the Peach mates with Crown XTI. I imagine it will sound very nice with most s/s amps. The system retains tube sound characteristics which is most important to me. Don't really care about the remote. [:D]<\p>

• 11 years later...