Owner's Report - The First Hundred Days of Jubilee Ownership

Bill W.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most important pieces of information that I would like to know is, "what room/venue are you using--I assume it is outside(?) If so, is there a roof and side walls?"

The patio has side walls but no roof. Dimensions for the patio are 27' wide x 75' deep. It is remarkable how good the sound is with no "room issues" to deal with.

comments from listeners at our restaurant as well as those from invited guests to our home where I have been A/Bing the Jubilees to our Klipschorn / Belle Klipsch center system , as well as a TSCM system and the LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys.

Bill, Have you moved them back/forth? Moving Jubilees isn't too high on my "10 things I want to do before I die" list. I once wondered what you would do in your off season... leave the Jubilees at the restaurant or grunt them home?

Hey Coytee,

Yes I have moved them home to Arizona with me for the winter. Being without them for six months would be too much to bear. Actually, I wanted the opportunity to make a detailed comparison between the Jubilees and each of my other systems without the interuptions I would face at the restaurant. I have learned more in the last month than I have learned in 30 years!

Excellent write up. PWK & Roy hit one out of the ballpark with the Klipschorn Jubilee. Are live bands use the Jubilees to play through?

Please post some pics!

Hi Seti -

Yes we are using the Jubilees for live bands. The word has gotten out and the musicians invite their friends to come and enjoy the performance because they have never sounded better. We booked a regional singer/songwriter who sang for the closing ceremonies of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. She enjoyed it so much she has been back to perform twice.

Wow! This has sure whetted my apetite for a pair (or two Stick out tongue)

One very small feedback...Paul actually said, "The midrange is where we live". But the statement in the original post still makes sense in context because the Jubilee is a two-way system and there is only one HF driver.

boom3,

You are absolutely correct. I was paraphrasing[:$]

One of the most important pieces of information that I would like to know is, "what room/venue are you using--I assume it is outside(?) If so, is there a roof and side walls?"

The patio has side walls but no roof. Dimensions for the patio are 27' wide x 75' deep. It is remarkable how good the sound is with no "room issues" to deal with.
High ceilings are nice. Sounds like you have the highest one of all...

Chris

"But the statement in the original post still makes sense in context because the Jubilee is a two-way system and there is only one HF driver."

Well, that just mean we're living even more in the midrange cause now there ain't no tweeter.:)

I really appreciate all the comments about Jubilee speakers!

It seems there are a lot of comments about dynamics, low distortion, bass response, etc..., however I haven't noticed comments about the tonal character of instruments (e.g. the sound of a Fender Stratocaster on a Fender Twin Reverb amp, or a Gibson Les Paul on a Marshall Stack, or a 1936 Martin D-28, or a 1923 Gibson Lloyd Loar mandolin, or a Steinway Grand Piano, etc...). I've realized that electronics play a large roll in providing a natural or "real" sense of the tone and character of these particular instruments. Can the Jubilee owners speak to the unique characteristics that the combination of Crown SS gear and Jubilees provide in this regard?

Thanks!

wallflower,

My comments are based on a demonstration of the Jubilee bass units and the big 402 treble units. You see photos of a home installation above in the thread.

There were some change outs of various amps. All were of high quality. I dare say that there was not any change in quality of reproduction based on the electronics. Others are invited to comment, of course.

The recordings were varied. They were not a side by side consideration of Fender, Gibson, Les Paul, Marshall. Sorry.

One often played source was Bonnie Raitt's vocals.

Another fellow there commented, "I'm ruined for life", I took that to mean, no other speaker will or can ever be this good. I quite agree.

I believe most of us there have heard excellent recordings, excellent electronics, and very good speakers. None the less, I think the 402 horn, the driver, and maybe some equalization tweeks, were absolutely perfect in making the female voice reproduced with accuracy. It may be hard to make Bonnie sound bad, but this was pure magic.

If it does that for Bonnie, I'm sure it will do it for a guitar.

Gil

Are these things on the Klipsch website? If so, can someone post a link? My feeble brain is not turning them up anywhere...

A more current pic. The things on top are bass traps. I haven't decided how to hang them yet--they work really well in their current locations.

Wow, they're a long way from the Jubilee's I listened to on the inaugural Klipsch tour, in their beautiful cabinets and decidedly more decor-friendly appearance.

"The Customer Can Have Any Color He Wants So Long As It's Black". Henry Ford

I think that the Model "T" (yes, there were models A-S before the "T" came into being) set the standard for all to follow. Maybe parallel universes exist for loudspeakers.

[;)]

Chris

Hey Bill W.

Was wondering what had happened to you.

Really good write up of your impressions with the Jubilees and what to me is really great is it seems you are really having a great time listening with them.

So what is one of your favorite recordings to play on them?

mike tnSmile

Hi Mike,

This may sound funny but it keeps changing. Usually its the last recording I played. I just listened to a 30 year old direct-to-disc recording of Virgil Fox playing the pipe organ at Garden Grove Community Church in California. One of the best organ recordings I have in my collection. This is stunning on Jubs.

P.S. Thanks for your assistance with the EV data. You made it easy for me!

One forum member, Arky (?), was next to me during a play back of Bonnie. He commented, "I'm ruined for life".

Very odd: "I'm ruined for life"...I'm hearing those exact words from others that come to listen for a while.

Chris

Hi Mike,

This may sound funny but it keeps changing. Usually its the last recording I played. I just listened to a 30 year old direct-to-disc recording of Virgil Fox playing the pipe organ at Garden Grove Community Church in California. One of the best organ recordings I have in my collection. This is stunning on Jubs.

A Virgil Fox fan! They called him twinkle toes, you know, for obvious reasons.

He gave new meaning to the phrase "a religious experience".

Chris

"There were some change outs of various amps. All were of high quality. I dare say that there was not any change in quality of reproduction based on the electronics."

By this description do you mean to imply that regardless of electronics the Jubilees sounded the same? If so, that would seem quite odd. I've heard a lot high quality amps and while many sounded excellent, they all provided some type of different sonic characteristic. Please explain.

By this description do you mean to imply that regardless of electronics the Jubilees sounded the same? If so, that would seem quite odd. I've heard a lot high quality amps and while many sounded excellent, they all provided some type of different sonic characteristic. Please explain.

I don't pretend to speak for Gil but in my experience, I have yet to hear a significant "amp to amp" change that was as large of a difference as my "Klipschorn to Jubilee" change.

In my experience, I'd try to draw a parallel of getting a nice hamburger at some burger place verses going to a nice steakhouse and ordering a filet OR their NY strip. I'd think it reasonable that there is a larger jump from the burger to the steakhouse (Heritage to Jubilee), than there might be between the two offerings from the steakhouse? (different amps of high quality)

For my listening, the biggest jump/change in sound that I've heard in my room was putting the Jubilees in there. The next biggest jump/change I've experienced is when fiddling with the crossover settings, going from a 24 db slope crossover to an approximate 48 db slope crossover and even at that, with the steeper slope tweeks, I could ONLY tell a difference in sound when listening to female vocals which ironically, also happened to be Bonnie Raitt. When listening to instruments only, I personally can't tell a difference between either slope

The amps I've run through my Jubilees right now have been a McIntosh 2102 powering the top horn (several solid states on bottom) and I'm currently using a 4 channel solid state amp to run both speakers with my tube preamp (Peach) and my tube power amp (2012) OUT of the food chain. I personally find the changes of those amps to NOT be as significant of a difference as swapping out the speakers themselves. Truth be told, I can't sit here and tell you ANY differences I've heard (not to say that maybe you or someone else couldn't detect changes) but "my ears, my stuff, my room..." I'd have to agree with Gil in that there is essentially no (or very minimal) change. Some refuse to believe that and that's ok. Again, this isn't to say that a critical listener might not feel there is a different "ting" with something, but I'd liken that to the wine taster dude who says the film on the glass of wine as he swirles it is 'slightly thicker bodied and longer lasting' than the other glass of wine... BOTH have the swirl and he's making a judgement from one to the other. To sit there and have issues as to the thickenss of the swirles on the glass of wine.... well.... that tells me that person is doing ok with other things in life to have the time to worry about those exceedingly small differences that others, may not see (or may not be there).

Heck... 2 years ago when people heard the single Jubilee in the corner (the trip to Hope that induced Mike & I to buy them), everyone was mouth watering at how they sounded... well... we auditioned them with some QSC or Crown amps (I think), AND as I understand it, something like a $75 Emerson CD player that simply can't be accused of being "audiophile" yet it left everyone that I'm aware of, walking out of that room just shaking their head, impressed with what they heard.

Hearing is believing... if you're ever near Knoxville.....