Owner's Report - The First Hundred Days of Jubilee Ownership

Bill W.

How do you set up your Jubs outside, e.g., do you use a mixer at your restaurant? What kind of amps? How do you weatherproof your electronics, or do you keep them inside?

Chris

Chris,

The Jubs are set up in the corners of the patio flanking the stage. The spacing is about 23' apart. We use a small mixer board feeding an EV DX-38 x-over with QSC and Crown XTi amps. This is in a portable rack system that musicians plug into for live music outdoors. For recorded music (most of the time) the rack system plugs into a prewired network from indoors. Conversion takes about 2 minutes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bill. The local live music here scene "isn't" (live, that is) even though the city has >1/3 million people living in it (and no public transportation--but we're going to have a new Cowboys stadium to kill for).

Not that I'm about to loan out my Jubs for civic duty but it fires the imagination to think about supporting live entertainment, especially when there is such a supply of real good UNT lab band students (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_O%27Clock_Lab_Band) to practice their trade, e.g., Norah Jones passed through their doors for a while.

Chris

Jeez, guys! This forum experience is awesome, and getting better! I am responding to several write-ups from someone named Rich; the Colorado guy named Bill W.; and another guy named Chris A.

I am a newbie currently having a custom home built. Up 'til now was thoroughly committed to purchasing a pair of Khorns in/at the short side of an 18 x >30ft combo family-living/dining room. But, am seriously interested in checking out these Jubilee speakers (sight/audition-free, and based on your comments). Sounds like they are 2-way; easy to set up and use (without the complications of crossovers, room set-up, bass traps, etc.; like they are ready to go as soon as they are set up. I don't know how, if, or when I might get a response to this posting (today is Mon. Jan. 21, 2008). My email address is: williams172166@bellsouth.net My tag with this forum is RodneyakaFlash. Where and how should I go about ordering/getting a pair of these speakers? I have a budget that I set aside for the sole purpose of new audio equipment (speakers and electronics). I just relocated to central Georgia from the SF Bay Area of California. I recently retired from teaching; I look forward to listening to the music in my extensive vinyl LP and CD collection. Anyway...Thanks.

RodneyakaFlash - "Flash"

Hi Flash!

Roy Delgado (alias "bodcaw boy", http://forums.klipsch.com/members/bodcaw-boy.aspx) is the guy you need to hook up with. He is a Klipsch engineer who worked with Paul Klipsch on the Jubilee bass horns and has been the proponent of the 2-way home system (I own a pair of these). If you are thinking about ever ordering a pair, Roy's the guy who will help you. He frequents this forum often so he'll probably find you if you don't find him first.

The 2-way (home) Jubs do not come with passive crossover networks: a large majority of Jub owners are running either Crown XTi amps, which contain equalization, delay and active crossovers (my configuration), or they are running an ElectroVoice active crossover and their favorite amps (one stereo amp or two monoblocks per speaker). Correcting for delay is a big deal for the Jubs, and the active crossovers in both setups do this job that the passive crossovers really could never do. They also allow you to change the crossover settings on the fly, and do 24 or 48 dB/octave crossovers much more effectively and cheaply than passives. Roy has had a Jubilee driven by a Crown XTI-1000 in Klipsch's anechoic chamber to determine the "flat" settings for them. The results (EQ, crossover and delay settings) of this amp/speaker pairing are published on this forum (see link below).

It's hard to describe the experience of listening to the Jubs. I'll let others on the forum try to describe relative to Khorns. The Jubilee project was meant to replace the Khorn when Paul and Roy worked on it.

If you need more info, just ask - there are a few owners that frequent this forum.

Also see http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/97984.aspx

Regards,

Chris A

• Moderators

Chris,

You are in luck, two very knowledgable people live in GA that can answer a lot of your questions. They are both very familar with the Klipsch products, specifically Jubs, and can provide you with a lot of information. One is Mark1101, he lives near Athens, the other is JWCullison, he lives in Funkbrain (it's a sub of Atlanta).

Travis

Outstanding.

Another Georgia affiliate.

Glad to help anyway I can. I have a complete hodgepodge of klipsch stuff. Don't have the "standard" jubilee setup right now but very familiar with it. Mark1101 has some Jubilee clones I built.

Welcome

jc

Just curious, but what would be needed to bi-amp the Jubs with an active crossover? I would be interested in using my VRD's on the 402 horns and a SS amp (Crown, DBX) on the bass bins. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Look at the Crown XTi series. Everything in one package (crossover, delay, EQ) for less than $500/speaker biamping. You also get 48 db/octave crossover capability. Look at the free "System Architect" application from Harman Kardon (Crown's parent company) to understand all the capabilities of this amp/DSP combination.

Other than that, the Electrovoice DX-38 active crossover is the most often used among the Jub crowd. Unfortunately, it's a bit more pricey for what you get, but you can use your existing amplifiers if you go this way. The Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 is also used, but fewer advocates exist for this product.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I would be interested in using my VRD's on the 402 horns and a SS amp (Crown, DBX) on the bass bins

Sounds like you're looking at something close to what I'm doing. If you already have the amps, you can simply get the Dx-38 and plug them in (after dealing with the RCA/XLR issues) if you don't have your SS amps in hand yet, then Chris hit it on the head... the Xti seems to be the bang for the buck! Although, I suspect you would be forced to use TWO of them since you would still lack any PEQ for the 402.

So, it's easy... If you want to use the VRD on the 402, then that means getting either a Dx-38 or passives. if you don't mind Xti's on both horns, then you can get the Xti's and be done. Two Xti's would cost about (or under?) $800 and the Dx NEW is about $1,300 but I've seen them on ebay for 600/700

Just curious, but what would be needed to bi-amp the Jubs with an active crossover? I would be interested in using my VRD's on the 402 horns and a SS amp (Crown, DBX) on the bass bins. Any help would be appreciated.

Just a single EV Dx38.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to use dissimilar amps, then you will need to find a way to compensate for the differences in gain. This is actually something you might drive yourself nuts trying to do by ear. But at the same time, that's one of the nice things about actives....it's merely a touch of a button to change the voicing of the speaker.

Doc brings up a good point. I tried using VRDs on the HF. The issue is no volume control. Then I got into Art Cleanboxes and such to match levels and provide volume control....No good. Sold the VRDs. Really wish I didn't have to. Trust me you don't want these intermediate level matching boxes. They add noise and reduce fidelity. Some are better than others but the two I tried made me sell my VRDs. The Crowns are the best bang for the buck. BUT....the Crowns are noisy. They hiss like a mad cat. The VRDs were very quiet. In the end I deal with the hiss because when the music is playing it is inaudible and my system really sounds great as is. It was a bargain way to get into active crossovers w/DSP and the 2-way operation I wanted. I can't say enough about the 2-way w/active and the improvements they bring.

Sounds like the Dx-38 doesn't have the ability to do attenuation like the XTi does...bummer

Whoa dudes... let me see if I understand this...

You are saying that the Dx-38 does NOT have any way to adjust line levels to allow you to match amps?

If that is the suggestion then I will assure you that is incorrect. Each output channel has a level adjustment so you can fine tune each channel as you wish.

When I was using the BX1 amp (1 volt input sensativity) mated with the McIntosh amp (5 volt input sensativity) I used Roy's calculations (20*LOG(V2/V1)) and came up with as I recall, about 14 db difference that I had to adjust for. I simply went to that channel and cranked it down to -14db and was done.

I'll repeat that if he wants to KEEP his VRD's, then the easiest thing to do (IMHO) is to get the Dx and deal with the RCA/XLR issue. If he doesn't mind replacing his VRD's with something else, then yes, the XTI is clearly the best bang for the buck.

Now, if I misunderstood your use of attenuation then ignore the above.

[Y]

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to use dissimilar amps, then you will need to find a way to compensate for the differences in gain........................that's one of the nice things about actives....it's merely a touch of a button to change the voicing of the speaker.

He didn't say it blatenly but he's saying the same thing... you can use the Dx-38 to balance your amps with each other. "you will need to find a way" means, use the Dx

I'll repeat that if he wants to KEEP his VRD's, then the easiest thing to do (IMHO) is to get the Dx and deal with the RCA/XLR issue. If he doesn't mind replacing his VRD's with something else, then yes, the XTI is clearly the best bang for the buck.

I guess I would need to hear a pair with SS driving the bass bins and tubes driving the top horns, and then hear another pair with the Crowns driving everything, but I would imagine the first snenario would sound better. If someone has heard both and can't tell the difference, then yes, it would make sense to sell the VRD's and just buy a couple of Crowns. However, I really love the way the La Scala mids/highs sound on the VRD's, and would prefer to keep them, and therefore would need some big ole SS amps for the bass bins and an Dx-38 to handle the xovers and amp leveling if this combination would sound better than just the Crowns.

Of course I also need to come up with about $10K, and that's another 6 - 9 months down the road, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. [:D]

Mike