To project or not to (rear) project.......

Tom Adams

I currently have a 46" Samsung rear projection DLP and like it alot. But I've been thinking of going up in size. So I've been doing some initial research and it seems that rear projection DLP TV's are kinda close in price to the flat panel LCD TV's. Anyone got some opinions perspectives about what would drive a person's decision to go one way or the other (aside from the obvious dollar making decision)??

TIA

Tom

Guest srobak

The only RP DLP screens I have seen that come remotely close to the clarity, sharpness and brightness to that of the flat panels are by Mitsubishi.Their 60-73 inch models are just breathtaking, and you can hardly believe you are looking at an RP. One place nearby has had the same 7300 series unit on display for 6 months, turned on a good 14 to 16 hours a day and still looks fantastic. If I were in the market to go over 50in, that's what I would be looking at.

BTW - is that an ST or an FJR in your avatar? Great bike either way - I am looking to pick up an ST this winter to add to the stable.

Thanks for the input. I've owned Mitsu TV's in the past and have always had great experience with them.

The bike is a 2003 FJR. The lake in the background is Lake Superior from the Canadian side. sigh......what a great trip that was.

The ST is a nice bike, just not as "sporting" as the FJR and the ST weighs a bit more. The hooligan in me comes out every once in a while so it's nice to know the big FJR will do a power wheelie.

BTW - I use to own a ZX9R as well.

Tom

I have a JVC Pro 61" 1080p rear projection LCOS, liquid crystal on silicon, no spinnings mirrors and have been very pleased. It's only 18" deep. When I was shopping around the lcds and plasmas screens had too much reflection and in our living room we get a fair amount of sunlight that would create problems. the rear projection screen is much less reflective. It will all boil down to what you prefer so have a good idea of your viewing environment when you go shopping. I picked my set up from Tiger last year for around 2 grand. Check this web site out.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/

The bike is a 2003 FJR. The lake in the background is Lake Superior from the Canadian side. sigh......what a great trip that was.

I must agree... here is Superior from the UP of Michigan side this past July :) 1500 miles on that trip... on a sportbike :)

Posted Image
Lower Harbor in Marquette - old iron ore dock

Posted Image
Shoreline in Marquette, notice the lighthouse in the back

Posted Image

The ST is a nice bike, just not as "sporting" as the FJR and the ST weighs a bit more. The hooligan in me comes out every once in a while so it's nice to know the big FJR will do a power wheelie. ... BTW - I use to own a ZX9R as well.

I actually don't mind the weight... and it is so well balanced that when throwing it around, it actually feels lighter than my ZX9. My neighbor has an 06 ST that he has let me put about 500 miles on, and I think it is a good next step before going to a Goldwing. Oh... and the ST will power wheelie too :) *innocent whistle* hehe.

The ZX9 is my 3rd Ninja in 15 years... started with a ZX6, then bought a 93 ZX7 new - over-bulked and over-weight for its' era as well, but I really didn't mind it. That was my favorite bike of the three... handling was just amazing. One advantage with the weight of the 7 and now the 9 is that it is one stable beast in the corners, and is damn near impossible to break it loose... even with the D220 sport/tour tires I am running on it :D 18,000 miles this year.

Ok - enough bike... back to your regularly scheduled a/v... and good luck on your choice. If you had good luck with Mitsu before... why upset a good trend? :) Keep us posted!

I currently have a 46" Samsung rear projection DLP and like it alot. But I've been thinking of going up in size. So I've been doing some initial research and it seems that rear projection DLP TV's are kinda close in price to the flat panel LCD TV's. Anyone got some opinions perspectives about what would drive a person's decision to go one way or the other (aside from the obvious dollar making decision)??

My biggest quam about rear projection when I was shopping was the field of view. The Plasma and LCD's on average had a wider viewing angle which allowed me to pack my living-room with friends on movie night and everybody could get an equal view of the tv. Size was another consideration. I live in a small place. The rear projections were deeper, took up more room and I couldn’t hang them on the wall if I ever decided I wanted to.

After that, I had to decide between Plasma and LCD. I picked Plasma.

Hope that helped at least a little.

My biggest quam about rear projection when I was shopping was the field of view. The Plasma and LCD's on average had a wider viewing angle which allowed me to pack my living-room with friends on movie night and everybody could get an equal view of the tv. Size was another consideration. I live in a small place. The rear projections were deeper, took up more room and I couldn’t hang them on the wall if I ever decided I wanted to.

After that, I had to decide between Plasma and LCD. I picked Plasma.

Hope that helped at least a little.

Yeah.....I've yet to have that debate (plasma vs. LCD) and it too appears to be a tough one. Anyhow.....your comment about viewing angle is one I hadn't considered, yet I've experienced what you're saying with my RP DLP Samsung. In a former house the Samsung TV sat above the fireplace and the height was enough that the TV actually had to be tilted down a bit in order to eliminate image degradation. So thanks for reminding me about that.

You guys think plasma is really on it's way out??

Uh - ohhhhh.....I think I just hi-jacked my own thread.

Tom

I can't speak for anyone else - but between the plummeting prices of LCD and the rapidly increasing quality and dminishing thickness of DLP - yes... I think plasma is soon to be a memory. Honestly - the image quality of a good LCD vs even the better plasmas is pretty clear, at least to my eyes.

And my apologies about jacking your thread with the bike stuff... but I saw your avatar (for the first time) and couldn't help it. :D

Of course in the old days, projection was the only way to get a big picture.

Now I see that the major manufacturers are not making them as much and they may well be being phased out..

The flat panel trend was plasma. But apparently, the LCD's (direct view) are getting so good that plasma is falling from grace.

It is my thought that LCD is the dominant display for computers, an particularly laptops. Obviously that is where manufacturing dollars (Yen, Euros) are being invested.

Gil