2 Channel Rig...CD Player

PhilMays

I have been moving full steam ahead with this rig. The current set-up is as follows:

AMP: Marantz 2385

SPEAKERS: Forte II's

TURNTABLE: Rega P2 with RG250 tone arm and upgraded platter (in shop now being repaired)

CD PLAYER: Denon MK2800 II DVD player (Had a very nice CD aspect to it)

I am considering a new dedicated CD player. The ones I've heard folks talk about here is Jolida vacuum tube. What others should I consider in this price range? Another thought is to buy a Denon 5900 for my theater and move my Denon 2900 here so I can get SACD.

All thought appreciated!

Thanks

Phil

Cambridge Audio .................. they are not tube CD players ........... Tubes really runs the price up on CD players ......... the Jolida is $1,000. before the upgrade they recommend, heavy change in my book ....................... out of my range, and $600. to 700. used ............. they claim they are nice !!!!

josh, you like the Rega Apollo better than the Jolida ........................ Have you compared them one on one ? I was led to believe the Jolida has a better drive system than the Rega ..................... I am asking because I don't know, or have an experience, with tubbed CD players, and I'm just asking questions to gather information, not start anything, except gain some knowledge .........

A3 CD Player

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1204141131

I have their A308CR CD player. Way better than the AH! 4000 tubed player that is replaced (upsampled, every option, Amperex PQ white label tubes).

Or, sell your preamp and get one of these:

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?preatran&1205109201

I have one in my office. Outstanding preamp, CD and DAC in one box.

Too many choices and not enough money!! The trick is finding a cd player or DAC that fits your budget and gives you a sound improvement worth the money.

" http://www.2baudio.com/ Something to take a look at. Have to click on ,he has a TADAC TUBE D/A convertor ,that I think looks interesting."

I bought Pauls TADAC Tube D/A convertor and very big improvement over my NAD C542 cd player and Denon 2900 dvd player. I bought my Cayin TA 30 from Paul so I gave the TADAC a try and really glad I did!

Also he has a trial period so I figured I could return it but plugged it up and knew it was staying.

Good luck on your search!

OB, I havent heard the Jolida tubed CDP. I have heard the Eastern Electric Mini Max and the Ah! Tjoeb, and the Heart. All of them tubed. The Rega Apollo is not tubed. To my ears the apollo is very satisifying and analogue sounding. I prefered it to the tubed cdp players that I have heard. From what I understand (and believe me I really dont understand it!) , it has to do with the chip set. Havent heard aboout issues with the drive system. I know that the transport is made by Sanyo.

A good write up is here

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/

Josh

If you desire a multiformat player that sounds really good, just save yourself a bunch of money and get an OPPO DV-980H. I've got a Rega Saturn and the aforementioned OPPO and while I could point out differences between the two - in the end the differences would be rather minor and insignificant - but why do it because the OPPO is one hell of a player. In fact it's so good I could easily give up my Saturn and just run the OPPO.

josh, you like the Rega Apollo better than the Jolida ........................ Have you compared them one on one ? I was led to believe the Jolida has a better drive system than the Rega ..................... I am asking because I don't know, or have an experience, with tubbed CD players, and I'm just asking questions to gather information, not start anything, except gain some knowledge .........

OB, here's your knowledge: what you are missing is the dynamic sound of vinyl. Yeah, I know, you are done with it. Your loss, that's just the way it is.

FWIW.I have a high regard for Vacuum State and their Maryland agent Bill of Music Technology. When searching for a great SACD/DVD player, I sspent a lot of time asking questions of Bill.One of his comments was , the modded to level 6, Sony 9000ES is better than anything out there up to $16,000. I have listened to none so I can't verify Bill's comment. I paid $2000 fo my 9000 modded. I have seen them used on audiogon as low as $1100. I have not had anyone specifically dissagree with Bill's comment, although I have posted it several times on different forums. Mods are guaranteed for 5 years and left over warranty is transferable by Bill if he did the mods. Does not play the MC layerl of a MC SACD. Will play the hybrid or stereo layer. Will not play copied CD's. Good condition 9000es's can be bought for about $350. Build quality is excellent.

You should contact Bill, but I think it's $1795 up to level 6. If you get balanced it's more.When I first got my NS9000ES, based on some favorable comments from Dean, who has one unmodded, I was so happy at the sound. It was much better than my Audio Research 23 year old CD I player. Well after the mods the stock 9000 litterally sounded like crap. All the original signal path and connectors are left in tact and I tried it a few months later---UGH! Bill is a swell guy and answered my many many questions usually in an hour or two. He still does 5 months later.

Phil, something else to consider. There is a 9000es on audiogon modded to VSE level 4 for $600. If this has low hours played as shown on the internal clock you might cosider it and have it shipped tp Bill in Maryland near you. He could add level 5&6 for $750. I asked the seller who modded it and hours on the clock,but he has not responded yet. The seller is in Texas. I have "NO" affilation with Bill or VSE, just a very happy customer. $1350 total is a lot less than $2100.