Need Advice on Entering the Tube World

youngjj

I bought a Scott 299 on Ebay for $300 that was supposed to be touched up by a tech. I'm not very knowledgable about tube gear so didn't even power it up before I sent it to Craig @ NOS Valves. It cost around $400 for the deluxe rebuild. The total of $700 is a very small price to pay for a tube amp with a very good phono stage imho. I couldn't be happier.

That's the best advice right there IMHO! Buy the classic amp of your dreams and have it sent straight to Craig or any other qualified tech before trying it out first. Then you'll know you'll be enjoying your purchase for a long time!

youngjj-

I was in the same position you were about 6 yrs ago, bought a nice condition Scott 299B and sent it direct to Craig for the rebuild. It served me well with my K-horns until last year when I upgraded to a pair of Quicksilver Horn Monos. For the money, I was very pleased with how it sounded, and loved the idea that, except for the CD player, everything in my 2-ch system was older that I am! Currently, the Scott gets minimal use in a Heresy bedroom/office system, but I need to redo that room and the audio portion must go, so I'm looking to sell the Scott. I have lots of pictures, so if you are interested, drop me an email. I'll probably be posting to the garage sale forum soon.

Rob

I bought a Scott 299 on Ebay for $300 that was supposed to be touched up by a tech. I'm not very knowledgable about tube gear so didn't even power it up before I sent it to Craig @ NOS Valves. It cost around $400 for the deluxe rebuild. The total of $700 is a very small price to pay for a tube amp with a very good phono stage imho. I couldn't be happier.

That's the best advice right there IMHO! Buy the classic amp of your dreams and have it sent straight to Craig or any other qualified tech before trying it out first. Then you'll know you'll be enjoying your purchase for a long time!

Echo That!! Absolutely the best advice!! I spent a year looking for the 6L6 tube amp I wanted, finding a complete set of NOS tubes, etc. When it arrived, I turned it on one time (I knew the seller and it was in working order), and sent it to a tech that I've known for many years. I can't wait till it comes back. But I know it will be what I have wanted for many a year.

• 1 year later...

Young, I am about your same age & still own a Harmon kardon 930. I have been thru what you are considering, & have owned several tube Amps inc.the $5k Bat amp that I am using now. Dollar per dollar the HK is extreamly good, I found I did not really get a large improvement until I spent about $500.00 on a MC. 2505 which is not a tube amp. All the recommendations above are very good, but my point is one must decide for him self at what price point is it worth a better sound. The improvement get smaller & more subjective the higher up the price chain you go. If you have the the opportunity, By all means try to listen to some differnt amps in your on home for comparisson before spending the tight money. Just my two cents ,, good luck.

Cornman

Wow, another thread from a year ago.

Tim, there are some folks on here who have had some of the Quicksilvers. I am impressed with the Horn Mono amps, and another time, another wallet... I would love to try a pair.

I think someone who is on here now still has some. Perhaps they'll chime in.

Bruce

I think the quicksilers use 8417 tubes which are hard to come by and are pricy.

There is a web site that explains how to conver to kt-88's, but not a conversion for those that are not electronically inclined.

I think the quicksilers use 8417 tubes...

No, they use EL34, KT90, KT88, KT77, KT66, 6550 or 6L6 output tubes. However, they use a 12DW7, of which there are many choices, but no substitues (I don't think)

Bruce

SF, the quicksilvers that used the 8417 tubes were pre mid-monos and mini-mites. I've seen them come up for sale for pretty reasonable prices, because of that. Could be a good deal for anyone comfortable with doing the conversion.

Edit--> I meant horn monos, not mid-monos.