Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Receivers

tlendy25

I currently have two Yamaha receivers. Neither one is anything special. They were around $400 when they came out around 3-4 years ago. They are 85x6 channels. I have been looking to upgrade to possible an Elite or another Yamaha receiver. I have always had Yamaha and never had any problem with them.

But...I have recently been drawn to the pioneer elite receivers. A local AV store said he would reccomend them over Yammies all day long. But as I am looking at the specs, it seems that the Elites have a THD of .09 whereas the Yamaha receivers are all around .04. The signal to noise of the Pioneers is higher then the Yamaha though.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has any real world experience with the two that could let me know the main differences between the Elite products and Yamaha.

Looking at the RXV1700 or 1800 and the Pio Elite VSX92txh if you want specifics.

Here's a partial answer, and not quite on target...we have the Yammie RXV 2400 . It's good, but the YPAO room measurement feature is so-so at best. We had to alter it's EQ settings to get a balanced sound out of the center channel and correct some boominess in the overall set-up. One tip: These days, the remote IS the receiver. Don't buy anything until you can hold the remote and use it to adjust the receiver in question. The Yammie remote is OK but nothing to write home about. We've had several pretty good components with junk remotes and that really alter's our perception of the components' quality.

The first point I'd make is those numbers are a VERY small part of an avr.If you buy an avr you buy in price class,$3/6/9/1200 etc..so to speak.If you spend $500,pick your brand then compare features closely.The differences in these are real but at $500 i.e. retail you're limited off the bat to a mediocre.If you move to $1k then you better start listening because at this level the differences in sound can be as important as features.

Don't limit yourself either(unless buying things is like a job).There are many good options,the ones mentioned may be fine but I sure would not buy one until I heard at least 5 contenders in my home.These will be hooked to Klipsch,right? Just kiddin' do some google on your choice,good luck.

For what it's worth- I have had several Yamaha receivers over the years, and still have a couple laying around. I bought an Elite receiver at a close-out sale and I am totally satisfied with it. I think it sounds cleaner than the Yamaha's I've owned, and it seems easier to set up and operate. Of course this is only my subjective opinion. They are both good companies.

For what it's worth- I have had several Yamaha receivers over the years, and still have a couple laying around. I bought an Elite receiver at a close-out sale and I am totally satisfied with it. I think it sounds cleaner than the Yamaha's I've owned, and it seems easier to set up and operate. Of course this is only my subjective opinion. They are both good companies.

I have a older Yamaha receiver and end up buying a entry level Pioneer elite over thanksgiving. The yamaha is build like a tank but I also found the sound to be cleaner and the set up easier on the Pioneer Elite.

As far the remote is concerned, hands down to the pioneer over the Yamaha.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have two Yamaha receivers. Neither one is anything special. They were around $400 when they came out around 3-4 years ago. They are 85x6 channels. I have been looking to upgrade to possible an Elite or another Yamaha receiver. I have always had Yamaha and never had any problem with them.

But...I have recently been drawn to the pioneer elite receivers.

Have you recently had an close encounter? Monsieur Neary, I envy you.

post-16829-13819360199142_thumb.jpg

You said you were drawn to the Pioneer receiver. Jacksonbart jokingly likened it to how people were drawn to Devil's Tower, in the movie Close Encounters. I continued the joke by suggesting that you made a Pioneer out of mashed potatoes, as Richard Dreyfuss made the Devil's Tower out of same.

tlendy25: Both Yamaha and Pioneer are great companies with very similar products. My investment is currently in numerous Pioneer Elite components, including a flagship VSX-49TXi receiver, which powers our primary theater in the basement. I am so thrilled with it that I am contemplating the purchase of the very same Pioneer Elite receiver you spoke of, the VSX-92TXH to power our other theater in our living room. Although I cannot speak on behalf of the Yamaha receiver you are considering, I can tell you that both the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH & VSX-92TXH have a world-class, Faroudja video scaler on board that would be awfully hard to beat in that price range! Also, although I have not noticed the difference myself, there are some folks here who have made the statement in the past that when comparing a Yamaha to a Pioneer Elite while connected to the same Klipsch speaker, they say the Yamaha may tend to make them sound a bit brighter than the Pioneer. Now, before the Yamaha fans descend upon me to kick my arse, please remember that I have not been able to hear this difference, but I think it's important to at least make mention of it. I suggest you listen for yourself and go with what your own ears and wallet say to you. I have found the remotes supplied by Pioneer to be very well thought out. However, I must tell you that due to the complexity of my theater and lighting systems, I control everything with a Phillips Pronto TSU-3000 programable touchscreen remote. I am not suggesting that you need one, too. Finally, another nice thing is that Pioneer Elite products typically have two-year warranties. I'm not aware what Yamaha provides.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide to get! -Glenn