Sensitivity question-Cornwall vs Heresy

jmorgan32

Very basic question here. (thanks in advance for helping me understand.)

In looking the specs of the Cornwall vs Heresy, I notice the Cornwall is slightly MORE efficient.

Both speakers use identical midrange and tweeter drivers. Of course, as all of you probably are aware, the Cornwall has a larger composite woofer than the Heresy. (15" versus only 12" in the Heresy.) This would lead me to believe (as a relative "newbie" to this hobby) that a larger woofer would need more power and hence be "less efficient."

The only thing I can come up with is that the Cornwall must be more efficient (even with the larger woofer) due to the sheer size of the cabinet. (much larger of course.)

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the drivers being the same as Heresy's, but I can offer this, I now own both, the Heresy's put music into the room, the Cornwalls, on the other hand, fill the room with music ................... both nice, both good .............. also believe musical output is higher with cornies !!!!!!!!

It's actually the other way around....bigger speakers are more efficient.

While it certainly takes more energy to move a heavier mass, the
biggest losses with sound reproduction have to do with the driver's
ability (or rather inability) to transmit pressure waves into the air.
In other words, the larger diaphragm couples better to the air and then
doesn't need to move as much. The other factor is the size of the
cabinet...the larger it is, the less it restricts the motion of the
cone.

The Cornwall and Heresy do in fact use the same components,
but since the woofer section of the Heresy is less efficient, the
crossover in the Heresy knocks down the level of the squawker and
tweeter. In the Cornwall they don't need to be padded down as much...

I'm not sure about the drivers being the same as Heresy's, but I can offer this, I now own both, the Heresy's put music into the room, the Cornwalls, on the other hand, fill the room with music ................... both nice, both good .............. also believe musical output is higher with cornies !!!!!!!!

I know you spent 6 months setting up the Heresys properly. Placement, tubes and a subwoofer.

So now that you have the Cornwalls, are they that much better that a satisfied Heresy owner should consider acquiring a pair?

BTW what subwoofer did you finally settle on with the Heresys?

Thank you OB.

So now that you have the Cornwalls, are they that much better that a satisfied Heresy owner should consider acquiring a pair?

I will not kick dirt on the Heresy, with the Scott and Sub they perform well, very happy with them. Here's where the forum gets you, I got a Cornwall itch, and I had to scratch it. Had La Scala's, very nice, too big .............. wanted Khorns, decided against them for many reasons ......... had Forte II's, didn't like the overpowering mid-range ................ the only choice left .. Cornwalls .. Harryo, and a couple others guided me to Cornwalls ......... So, here I be ............ started with KG4's, still own, on to H2's, still own, and now Big Boys ..... got to get off this forum, you guys are bad influences on me, plus I have a problem with growing up .................. Oh yes, I use a JBL 120 sub, a mid priced unit, works well for me ............. The Cornies will go to 2 channel with the Scott, the H2'S back to fronts on the Home theatre, KG4's to the rear channels .......... musical speakers ...... If one has the room, maybe you should try a pair .................. I'm not sorry I did ............