best preamp & amp for KLF-30s

klipschlover

Hi guys. I am researching good separates that will match well with my KLF-30s (mains), C-7 (center) and hopefully, JBL 4312a Control Monitors (previous mains, now surrounds). I have looked at Outlaw 990 + 770 and also at Emotiva DMC-1 + MPS-1 (or-2).

Does anyone here have either of these combos? If not, any other suggestions? I have never had separates before, but am interested in upgrading from my current HT receiver, whenever the budget allows. I never use the receiver's tuner for radio since I have Sirius radio on my satellite.

Thanks for all replies.

I really like the Sunfire amps with the larger Klipsch. The Klipsch may be efficient, but they tend to dip down to 2 ohms on the low end. Sunfire made my RF-7s sing. I've owned the TGIV, and while it was a very musical pre-amp, it lacks many of the current bells and whistles. I recently picked up a Integra DTC-9.8 and so far am very impressed. At a $1699 MSRP it is a steal and bests many pre-amps twice it's price.

I have a similar set-up as you, KLF-20's, KLF-C7, KSP-S6, and RSW-15 for HT. I've been pairing them with a Sunfire TGII (preamp) and Sunfire CGII (225x5 amp) for close to 7 years now. I love this combination, the Sunfire equipment is really nice and a great value. The only change I would make is that I should have gotten the 425x5 Signature amp version vs. the 225x5. Don't get me wrong, I probably only go 35-45% of power but the additional available power would be nice.

Get the Sunfire and be done with it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! Wow...I looked at the Sunfire separates on their website and they look sweeeeet! Unfortunately, the price tag is approximately twice what I can afford [:(]. So, what would be your next best choice? The new units must be HDCP compatible. Thanks again for all input!

Go to the AVS forum and under the audio area, do a search for the Integra DTC-9.8. At an MSRP of $1699 it is the best bang for the buck preamp out there. It has all the bells and whistles of the DTR-8.8 ($2500 reciever), but trading the built in amps for balanced outputs. Audyssey room correction, 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, HDMI upconversion, the HQV Reon video processor, and support for all the new HD audio decoding including DTS-MA. This thing is a winner and built like a tank. Pair it with a sunfire cinema grand (200w x5 = $1000 on audiogon) and you have one heck of a seperates stack for under $3k.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?class=Separates&m=DTC-9.8&p=i

I took this unit for a test drive and after getting it in my house, I sold my Sunfire Theater Grand IV.

Fish, the Outlaw and Emotiva separates are what I initially asked about at the beginning of this thread. They look pretty good "on paper," but I was hoping to hear from another Klipsch owner who uses them and is pleased with the pairing. I mostly use my gear for home theater. My current setup does not do a great job with music, but I would love to change that!

Thanks,

ROakes