Here we go with another Klipschorn project...

ben.

So with the exit of my nice '76 KB-WL, I'm greenlighted (greenlit?) to move forward on a well-mulled Klipschorn project.

I found a poor lab rat of a pair of '74 KB-WL. The top hats were partally disassembled and the components long gone. The orginal owner was an engineer that made his own everything, including amps and turntables. The bass bins are solid and pretty clean all considered. Too worn for show, but fine for what I'm up to.

Here's what I've got going so far for the rest of it:

• Altec 203B 40 x 20 horns 1.4" throat multicell horns with Altec 290 drivers
  • University 4402 split in half, which is the 4401 driver on an assymetric horn. Usually used in a mirror imaged pair to increase HF dispersion, I'll probably end up with them rotated to be assymetric in the vertical plane.
  • B&G Neo8PDR ribbons
  • Possibly Yorkville's Unity horn. I have to see what's involved to get a pair first.

At first I'll be triamping, but will probably end up doing a passive network so I can just use the Mc30 top to bottom. My main focus will likely be the Altec mids, but I'll also check out the ribbon in a 2-way down to 3-400Hz just to see what happens. They're ok down to 200Hz at lower power levels. I'll have to see what sounds good in my room, but the highs will probably have to come in in the 6kHz neighborhood with Altecs.

I'm going to try to do this without doing any electronic testing. I'll of course post pics as I go. I've been thinking seriously about this for over a year now, and it will be fun to find out how it all sounds.

Happy to see another Klipschorn project!! I've been giddy even since I been playing around with mine in a rather unconventional fashion (JBLs for mid bass). Well done on the Altec choice.

Also agree with doing by it ear first. Measurements can come later when you fine tune it (if at all).

Have fun.

Carl.

Will be interested to hear your opinion of the 203b horns with the Khorns. Doing the search, there has been little to no experimenting with the 203b on Khorns here. I have them on top of Speakerlab plan built bins (constructed by forum member "Bluesboy") using all Klipsch drivers (excellent condition)from a pair of beat up 1977 Cornwalls, and Crites khorn crossovers. I will try to post pictures later in the week, better than trying to describe them. As you know or will find out the 203 does have to hang over the front or rear of the bass bin, if the front of the horns are even with the front surface of the bass bin, the driver assembly will not fit into the corner, I went this way and used false corners for that and other reasons. Also, my K77's are mounted co-axial with the 203 in the center, again pictures will help here.

Except that they are a bit big, I really like the 203b's and will be keeping them and the rest of the components as is, my opinion, these horns sound great at any distance close or far, and do not add anything that is not supposed to be there, not scientific, but I like them. Again I will post some pics, and do keep us posted on your results.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to see another Klipschorn project!! I've been giddy even since I been playing around with mine in a rather unconventional fashion (JBLs for mid bass). Well done on the Altec choice.

Also agree with doing by it ear first. Measurements can come later when you fine tune it (if at all).

Have fun.

Carl.

Yeah I saw that Carl. Looks unusual but I wouldn't mind hearing the results.