I feel it's time for a SUBWOOFER upgrade!

33klfan

Thanks for the advice Dr. Who. Now you are saying an 18" cubed box will work because that's actually smaller than the avs guys were thinking. They are thinking like 8 cubic feet. Is that necessary? I am trying to decide on a good subwoofer design. I did check out that sonatube. I think i want to do a box. Is it easy to design myself or are there some good options? I'll have to look. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you go to 8 cubic feet the tuning point moves lower and you end up with a lot more cone excursion at higher frequencies - it basically means more distortion at ~30Hz...I don't think the tradeoff is worth the few extra Hz of inaudible extension - especially in light of the distortion measurements provided by Ilkka. If you tune above where the distortion is spiking, then you totally knock out the distortion. The spike is happening at 20Hz, and in a 6 cubic foot enclosure you're getting tuned to around 17Hz? (I forget). I remember initially targetting a 5 cubic foot enclosure but it's a bit too small to maintain efficiency down low. However, I think I read that CSS recommends a 5 cubic foot enclosure....

I guess I'm mostly just ranting that there's more involved than just the frequency response...