what size HD TV?

jbsl

I read a guideline online that said if you sit 8-10 feet from your tv, which I do, then a 40-42 inch tv is a good size for your living room.

I read that after I came back from Best Buy and it was right. After walking around for 2 hours and watching every Flat screen from the 40 to the 60 the one I liked best is the Sony 40 XBR 4 LCD. It had the best picture to me and looked like it would be the right size for my living room.

My living room is 15 x 15 x 8 so a 50 or bigger is a bit much and cost too much for me. Now if I had valuted celings then I probably could do a 50.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jb,

for your room size.....a 42 inch would be perfect. One consideration though is, do you have TRUE digital cable or HD? If you don't all you'll get in an increased, fuzzy picture with Large Pixels that makes the Picture look distorted. Hope this helps. Post Pics when you get set up. Good Luck.

FYI, If you watch sports, many people complain of motion blur problem with LCD. This thread convinced me to buy the 50" Panny. Got it at CC for $1500. The 42" version can be had at times for around $1000. HD is super & SD is very good with my Dish Network signal.

I currently have a 42" edtv plasma in a 15x15 room with vaulted ceiling. This size is pretty good but for a more theater experience 50" might be better. One thing to keep in mind is that some hd broadcasts will not take up the full width of your screen, unless you use the setting to do that which distorts the picture too much for my taste. So even with a bigger screen you might not be viewing as big a picture as you might think. I have a feeling that waf will dictate the 50" size for our next monitor.

get the sony 46' XBR 1080p and don't look back. the 40 is too small.

i have a 52 samsung and a 46 sony xbr2 both 1080p lcds hanging on the wall. sonys better looking

have samsung 32 and 19 both 720p lcd flat panels. too small

plasmas are to reflective

just my 2c

i have a 47 inch phillips 1080p lcd and its alright. the black levels are so so and it has some flashlighting issues. so i think ill be trading it in (via best buy replacement plan dealy) for a 50 inch 1080p plasma, either the panny or the samsung, both get pretty stunning reviews for about what i spend on the LCD. I have mine in a dorm room and its never been TOO big(dont think thats even possible) so really its about the $$$, for me atleast.

The other tv I'm thinking about it the Sony 50 A3000. Too many choices it makes it hard to pick one.

I don't have cable and do not watch tv at all, nothing. The tv is just for watching movies on so it will be a blueray player with the tv.

I'm waiting till Sep before I decide.

Thanks for the input.

I currently have a 46 inch LCD and my viewing distance is roughly 9.5 feet. I went from a 27 inch CRT, and when I first put the 46 incher in place it was huge.[:o] After a couple of days, your eyes adjust and you start to think you could have gone bigger. At this point, I am glad I didnt go smaller.

My room is similar to your 15' x15' and I have a 52" LCD. I think it is the perfect size as we used to have a 42" plasma in there that just didn't quite do it as far as size went. You will get use to the size as others have said. I now think the only people that believe the TV is too big are women who come over, but then they usually say an hour or two later after watching how much they like the TV and size.

I once read that the viewing screen should occupy most of your field of vision. In other words, you don't want to see anything when viewing the picture, but the picture; similar to a movie theatre.

I agree with the comment that after a few weeks you will say, "I could have gone bigger." I know people that regret not purchasing a larger TV, but I don't know anyone who regrets purchasing too large a TV.