what size HD TV?

jbsl

The Mitsu 72in model is one beautiful looking display...

There is a 73" 1080p Mitsu that can be had for only $2500!!

A funny true story..... While I was out of state visiting family for Christmas, my dad, brother-in-law and I went out to look at BD players for my BIL. Of course, we window-shopped TV's in the process. They had two 73" Mitsu's. One was $3000 and the other was $3500. I was rightfully drooling over both of them when the salesman walked over, and I asked what the difference was between the two. (one had 3-HDMI inputs, the other had 4) I commented that a competitor was selling the same TV for $2700. I wasn't even acting like a buyer, but rather just telling the guy I had seen it cheaper elsewhere. (which was true)

The guy disappears for awhile, then returns and offers to sell the TV for me 'today' for $2500..........and I wasn't even trying to haggle!! If I was in the market for a TV, I would have snatched that one up in a split second.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a professional A/V tech for a large electronics company and I just bought a sony kds-60a3000 last week. I can safely say that it is by far the best HDTV I have ever seen, read the reviews yourself.

My best friend has the Sony KDS-R60XBR2 , I think that is the one they just stopped making it, and I agree with you about the pic outstanding!

The kds-50a3000 is what I"m leaning toward just have to figure out how to fix the center channel issue. I have some ideas but have to work out the details.

The Mitsu 72in model is one beautiful looking display...

There is a 73" 1080p Mitsu that can be had for only $2500!!

There is a Mitsu Diamond 73 that has hit the Boston craigslist three or four times for $999. These were the last gen CRT RPTVs, so they are deeper, but the picture quality (in key areas such as color quality and contrast ratio, slightly less so in sharpness) far exceeds any digital.

I am a professional A/V tech for a large electronics company and I just bought a sony kds-60a3000 last week. I can safely say that it is by far the best HDTV I have ever seen, read the reviews yourself.

I would never buy a plasma, they suffer from burn-in and they permanently loose brightness the moment you turn them on. They have made great strides in preventing these problems in the past year or two, but they still exist.

As far as reviews go, plasma picture quality, black levels, freedom from motion artifacts, and off axis viewing put plasma consistantly ahead of LCD. Burn in is virtually non existant. I'd be interested to hear of your first hand knowledge of current plasma IR problems.

As a professional A/V tech, I'm surprised you've opted to purchase a TV that has technology that Sony has decided to stop selling and drop production alltogether. Rear projection sets are going to be lumped in the same category as CRT's very shortly.

Burn in is virtually non existant.

Not true. A co-worker bought a new samsung 3 weeks ago. His kids were playing something on their PS2 for less than half an hour and it burned. He is really ticked off... I also usually see more motion blur on plasma screens than I do on LCD.

Rear projection sets are going to be lumped in the same category as CRT's very shortly.

Really... hrm - you should send a note about that to Texas Instruments and let them know their technology is dead.

Really... hrm - you should send a note about that to Texas Instruments and let them know their technology is dead.

Sony is the one discontinuing all their RP sets. The technology is still being used but the trend is favoring flat panels over RP. Your co-workers set should be fine after he plays some full screen programming. He also may want to check his contrast level, or he may have a bad set. I played letterbox content on my plasma right out of the box and have never seen ghosting or burn in.

Sony is the one discontinuing all their RP sets.

I know - but you said RP in general was soon to be a memory :) I wonder what the DLP camp would think about that statement :P hehe

Texas Instruments’ third-quarter 2007 revenue from D.L.P. chip sales decreased 21 percent from the same period in 2006, after similar dips in previous quarters. D.L.P. TV sets are still being made by Samsung, Mitsubishi and Toshiba, but according to market researchers at iSupply, sales of such TVs will drop 25 percent over the next two years. DisplaySearch, another market research firm, believes that in 2009, less than 1 percent of the TVs sold will be rear-projection sets using D.L.P. (copy and pasted from the New York Times)

I still think RP's in general will soon be a memory.

Wow... that's too bad if true... :( The new DLP technologies (laser, shallow depth, etc) are amazing, and the picture out of sets like the Mitsus is simply stunning. I guess I better get one pretty quick...

I'll buy flat screen plasmas or LCDs in 2-3 years. Until then the Sony 50A3000 will work just fine. When I'm ready to go to a flat screen plasma or LCD I'll move this one to my bedroom.

Every technology has it's pros and cons. I do not watch cable tv or any tv just movies. So I may only watch this tv 2-3 hours 2-3 times a week. I don't see any reason to pay $1000 or more for a flat screen of same size that does not have that much better of pic for that much more. Now if I was going to put alot more time on the tv then I might look at the flat screens of the same size.

With that said the Sony 40inch XBR LCD has a outstanding pic but it is around $400-500 more and it is 10inches smaller than the 50A3000 but it is still a possible. I'll have to wait and see how much I get back for on my tax return.

BB had the 40XBR set up playing a Blueray dvd demo disc and it looked outstanding and the 50A300 was hooked up to the BB channel and looked okay. However my best friend has a 60 inch Sony rear projection that looks just as good with true HD material.

Like I said it can be frustrating trying to find the right tv.

I said:

The real problem is my center speaker (a La Scala) being 35 inches high and the celing being 8 feet. Then you have the base of the tv which is probably 5-8 inches high. So the bottom of the tv screen is going to be at least 40 inches high on the 40 inch and the base of the 50 inch tv will be 43 high so the 50 inch tv may be too high up will looking at the screen.

So

Islander's idea is probably what I will do. Get some plywood and build a HF section for the midrange and tweeter horns. Then get two Heresy cabs with just the woofers in them. put the HF section on top of the Heresys and get a crossover for it all. See photoshop pic.

That will put the top of the hf section around 26-28 inches. I have a tv stand 30 inches which puts the tv screen where I want it.

Now the only problem is this will have to wait till after I get a new car. Need to save up a downpayment so no tv till next year[:'(]

Thanks for all the input and this mod might work for other people wanting to add a La Scala as a center speaker but don't have the room.

post-13699-1381936017275_thumb.jpg

As far as reviews go, plasma picture quality, black levels, freedom from motion artifacts, and off axis viewing put plasma consistantly ahead of LCD. Burn in is virtually non existant. I'd be interested to hear of your first hand knowledge of current plasma IR problems.

As a professional A/V tech, I'm surprised you've opted to purchase a TV that has technology that Sony has decided to stop selling and drop production alltogether. Rear projection sets are going to be lumped in the same category as CRT's very shortly.

first and foremost exactly what TVs and at what price range are you talking about? a $6000 pioneer elite is a certainly nice tv, but we are talking around $2000 and below. black levels are a bit better on plasmas due to the transmissive nature of LCD, but this difference is rapidly dissapearing. motion artifacts were a problem a year or two ago, but I havent seen a nice current generation LCD that displays any motion artifacts whatsoever. off-axis viewing issues are also rapidly dissapearing and there are many LCD screens that have exceptional off-axis viewing properties equal to that of plasma.

as far as burn in is concerned, i have yet to find a plasma set that does NOT exhibit burn-in when displaying static images for any extended period of time. my experience stems from digital multimedia interactive installations I have done in museums across the country. on almost every install i do, the museum almost always requests plasma screens mainly because it is a buzz word, and they usually have little idea what they are talking about. after begging them to avoid plasma and go LCD, we usually relent and purchase plasmas for the interactive displays. our interactives have several screens which are static, and/or have static graphics overlayed video. these displays run 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week. invariably, no matter what brand/price plasma we install, we get a phone call within a few weeks to a month to complain about severe burn in on these displays.

i purchased my sony sxrd TV because there is no 60" HDTV out there that i can buy for $2000 that has anywhere near the picture quality and features of that unit. sonys decision to cease production of RPTVs has nothing to do with the viability of the technology, only the sales trends. would you refuse to purchase klipschorns because klipsch decided to cease production? i really have a hard time understanding your arguement whatsoever.

first and foremost exactly what TVs and at what price range are you talking about? a $6000 pioneer elite is a certainly nice tv, but we are talking around $2000 and below. black levels are a bit better on plasmas due to the transmissive nature of LCD, but this difference is rapidly dissapearing. motion artifacts were a problem a year or two ago, but I havent seen a nice current generation LCD that displays any motion artifacts whatsoever.

Motion artifacts are there , even at 120 hz. Some people are more prone to notice it than others. One manufacturer (LG I believe) is even trying 180 Hz to try to eliminate it. Granted, like everything else, it's better than it used to be.

as far as burn in is concerned, i have yet to find a plasma set that does NOT exhibit burn-in when displaying static images for any extended period of time. my experience stems from digital multimedia interactive installations I have done in museums across the country. on almost every install i do, the museum almost always requests plasma screens mainly because it is a buzz word, and they usually have little idea what they are talking about. after begging them to avoid plasma and go LCD, we usually relent and purchase plasmas for the interactive displays. our interactives have several screens which are static, and/or have static graphics overlayed video. these displays run 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week. invariably, no matter what brand/price plasma we install, we get a phone call within a few weeks to a month to complain about severe burn in on these displays.

I would think that even a CRT would burn in under those circumstances. Are you saying the average consumer uses their sets under those circumstances? Of course static images displayed 12 hour days 6 or 7 days in a row would burn a set. Notice I said "virtually" nonexistant, which it is under normal use. I never said impossible under any circumstance.

i purchased my sony sxrd TV because there is no 60" HDTV out there that i can buy for $2000 that has anywhere near the picture quality and features of that unit. sonys decision to cease production of RPTVs has nothing to do with the viability of the technology, only the sales trends. would you refuse to purchase klipschorns because klipsch decided to cease production? i really have a hard time understanding your arguement whatsoever.

Correct, Sony is dropping the sets due to sales trends. I never said that they were dropping production because the technology was obsolete, just that they were dropping it. Consumers want flat panels.

I'm sorry you a hard time understanding my argument. PM me if you'd like further clarification.

As far as comparing a discontinued speaker to a discontinued speaker goes................TV's usually break with more frequency than speakers There's more 25 year old speakers in use today than 25 year old TV's I daresay. TV's also are comprised of more complex (and proprietary) parts than speakers which you'd need to buy from the manufacturer. Sony will discontinue RPTV parts a lot sooner than Klipsch will discontinue parts for their beloved horns. Apples to oranges comparison.

I started off with a 43" Hitachi 1080i 4:3 screen "HD READY" TV around 6 years ago. That TV decided to die on me 13 months after purchase. I called Hitachi and they knew the problem as soon as I mentioned it. They told me that it was a common problem on that TV and that it was around $600 to fix it. I asked them if, since it was a common problem, they planned on fixing it, they said No. They told me I should have bought an extended warranty since it was a month out of warranty.

So...I said screw Hitachi and bought a 65" Mitsu ws65313. I sat around 10" from the TV and loved it. I personally think that 65" is a perfect size for that distance. Then Dum Duh Dum Dum....The Mitsu took a crap about 16 months after purchase. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty company decided to jerk me around for nearly 5 months before replacing it. Then, they only wanted to give me a depreciated value for the TV. At this time the company I purchased the TV from (and who was doing the replacement) had phased out CRT Tvs and only had one model in stock. What do you know....A Hitachi...after I specifically stayed away from Hitachi when I bought the thing.

So, after another month of screwing me around I finally got them to allow me to choose a TV and they would credit me the FULL amount I purchased the Mitsu for and not the depreciated value that they originally wanted to give me.

After I shopped around I had them price match a Toshiba 62hm196 1080p DLP and I only spent $150 to get it. Granted, it is 3" smaller, but it is 1080p and it is HD built in with two tuners. So I think it worked out. Still sit 10" away and it is amazing.

Of course, all things must come to an end...I am moving into a new house. The new seating area will be around 14 feet away. The only logical place to put the TV is on a wall that has a big fireplace in it. So, the TV must go above the FP on the mantle. Since the mantle is 54" off theground and the TV is 40" high, it only leaves about 1" clearance to the top of the ceiling. Plus, I dont like the idea of having a DLP TV 4.5 ft above the ground. Not to mention the "little" RC62 center that needs to be above or below the TV. Isnt going to happen when you have 1" clearance as it is.

With that being said, I downgraded my TV to an LG 50pc5d. It is a 50" plasma @ 768p resolution. It will give me the clearance I need to mount the center as well. IT might suck for a while to adjust to a smaller TV at a further distance, but I didnt have much choice. After $6k in new furniture, I couldnt afford another 1080p. Well....... in a flat panel anyhow. I had to sacrifice the TV size to fit the RC62 center. I dont complain though. I am fortunate to actually have a roof above my head and a 50" TV not to mention a 62" TV. So, I really cant complain about it.

Besides, I am going to move the 62" into my bedroom. Pretty sweet. I mean seriously... Who has a 62" Tv in their bedroom...

Anhow, sorry so long. I guess I got the rambling. I thought it would be interesting to map out the evolution or "de-evolution) of my TV screen and viewing distance.