Which car has the most torque for the least money?

Colin

As you may know, I do a calculation to determine which subwoofer has the most 20Hz output for the money. When it comes to automobiles, which sporty car, sedan, pick-up, van or SUV has the most torque for the least money? Does this apply to motorcycles also?

There are a lot of other factors to consider besides torque unless you are planning to straightline race the thing.

An example - my old Typhoon produced 365ft/lbs out of a 4.3L V6... in a Blazer truck at that (so yes, it was cheap). Available in automatic trans only - it would give even a Corvette LT1 a run for it's money, and blow most "sports cars" of the day right out of the pond. However - even with the full time All Wheel Drive - it would get completely smoked in anything remotely resembling a slalom vs. those same cars.

The same applies for motorcycles... the Suzuki Hyabusa and the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 are the HP/Tq kings right now... which again - is great for straightline.... but what good is all the power if you can't do anything with it other than going in a straight line? A ZX7 would dust a ZX14 or Busa anywhere with hard corners, and as it seems right now - the CBR1000RR and the ZX10 seem to be the best balance between hp&tq and manueverability.

Too many factors to consider in motorsports, really... A sub only has to hit hard, go deep and do so tightly. A vehicle has to do a whole lot more.

*shrug* $.02

Ya want a torque demonstration? Take any of the new american diesel pickups, GM, Ford or Dodge. Select 4 wheel drive, hold the brake and run the engine RPM up to about 1700. Hold that RPM for a few seconds while the turbo spools up, then release the brake. Then you see what the 600+ ft. lb. of torque feels like.

Yup - agreed

For a 4 wheeled job I'm gonna guess, and that's all it is - an F-250 diesel. 650 ft pounds for about 30 grand. Similar for all the RAM/GMC trucks really. A car would need 325 ft pounds at 15 grand to compete. Most 15 grand cars are 150 - 180. Can't think of a specialty vehicle that is 162 ft pounds for 7.5 grand or so that would match those heavy haulers on a ft pound per dollar comparison.

Maybe a tractor out there but they cost more than $7,500 I'd guess.

New? Used? The saying goes 'there's no replacement for displacement.' So many small modern engines rev really high and have decent HP numbers but not that great TQ.

I think the 03/04 supercharged Mustang Cobras were a pretty awesome bang for the $$.

The torquiest (?) car I" ever owned was the old V8 Landrover Discovery. No idea what the figures are for it but I rarely if ever climbed to the dizzy heights of 2000 rpm and with the low ratios engaged it was just silly.

Off road when confronted by a mountain it always felt like there were 2 options with the car:

1. Climb over the mountain.
  2. Throw a rope around the mountain and move it out of the way.

I now drive a 4.7 litre V8 Grand Cherokee. That too has lots of torque - but nothing like the Discovery. It also happens to use almost exactly half the gas around town.