McIntosh pairing with Forte II's looking for ideas.....

Forte Too

I purchased a pair of Forte II in 1988 for my High School graduation present. I never will forget the salesman. He said I would have the biggest set of headphones in the dorm. 20 years later........I am dusting them off and looking to pair them to a McIntosh amp. I have about $1,250 to $2,000 to spend on the amp/pre-amp. I am flip flopping back and forth about tube vs solid state. I wrote McIntosh and they suggested a solid state unit. The McIntosh MC6300. BUT, the MC6300 reviewed terrible. I am not against a pre-amp / amp combo. But, they usually cost more than the integrated unit. I am also not against older equipment. In 1984 I almost received my brother McIntosh stuff.(He wanted Bob Carvers latest cubes to push his K-Horns) I settled for a 40 watt NAD that I wish I still had. Sorry I drifted. Anyway, I am a McIntosh fan. It's cool stuff. I am looking for suggestions from the Klipsch family ...... Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for your help........

PS. While I don't live in Hope, your presence is missed.

I think I have decided to go the amp / pre amp route. Here is my problem.....Apparently my budget is too weak for a tube set today. My "new" plan is to purchase one quality piece and one budget piece. My thoughts are to buy a c2200 tube pre-amp and buy an old Solid State Amp. I have been told that the tube pre amp and a solid state amp will have a MUCH more dramatic effect and sound much better than the reverse. Any advice?

I am running a pair of the original Forte's with a Quicksilver GLA tube amp or an Odyssey Khartago solid state amp. It sounds great with both amps but I think I prefer the Odyssey amp, it is 120 watts per channel and just provides that extra kick the tube amps don't quite have. The Odyssey Khartago amp is excellent and is a bargain at under $1000.00 new, they can be had used usually on Audiocircles for around $600.00, do a search for Odyssey Audio for more info. I am using a Eastern Electric Minimax tube preamp and the combo is fabulous together with an Eastern Electric tube cd player and I am getting some of the best sound I have ever had. The Forte's are truly amazing when they are set up properly with good electronics. Good luck!

Phill

Just for clarity's sake, Forte II's were not out in 1988 that I am aware of. Check your labels on the back and report what you find. It would be interesting indeed if you had somewhere near the first pair ever made. I ordered Forte's from a dealer in the fall of 1989, and received Forte II's instead, which was a surprise for me.

If you are still putting together essentials for your system like a cd player, don't worry about crossovers yet. Just enjoy your set-up for a while. My original FII's are slightly older than yours and still sound very nice. Unless there's something obviously lacking I recommend waiting. For plug and play original spec with upgraded component crossovers Popbumper on this forum is your man.

BEC, he's the guy ............. Funny thing about crossovers, your speakers can sound real good, I didn't want to change mine either, sounded real good, well now they sound great, yours will too ............ anything from the 80's needs crossovers, or atleast the caps changed, but don't believe me ask around here ............. your money ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to this wonderful madness! If you are looking for a McIntosh amp then you are in luck. I have a McIntosh MC150 forsale,& Im asking $1450 here on the Klipsch Forum. Shoot an Email if interested.

If you still have the amp...please shoot me an email at jpeytonl@aol.com

This is not my regular email account so give me sime time to respond.