Another amp question....

taylor99ss

Ok so here's my dilemma. I have a brand new shiny Yamaha 2700 that puts out (manufacturers claim) 140w x 7 @ 7ohm. I probably don’t need a separate amp but would the difference be that much noticeable? Also what is the best set-up given budget limitations, which have yet to be defined. Just as a quick reference would the 5-channel x 140w Rotel RB-75 give me something I'm missing? Would I see the greatest gains in simply getting a 2-ch amp for the RF-7's? or maybe a 3-channel for the front 3 speakers? What have some of you experienced in the same situation? Should I just shut up, understand and know that a separate amp is always better than what you have to offer at the receiver? I will have a 7.1 setup soon and really just don’t know what is recommended for optimum quality. Thanks for the help! someone please drop some knowledge on me!

What are you trying to do ? The Yamaha will give you a good base for Home Theatre, wheter it be 5.1 or 7.1, it has enough power. the real question might be, Does it reproduce 2 channel good enough for you ? I have gone to two systems, One a Yamaha htr-5890 based H.T., and my 2 channel, Scott tube intergrated, now pushing Cornwalls .............. The 2 system set-up works best for me. NOSvavles recommended that to me two years ago, I snickered, but Ol' Craig was right ............. think about it, that Yamaha you have is a nice one, I like mine, so there is another option .....

Generally speaking a separate power amp will have better capabilities than the amplification section of a receiver. RF-7s benefit from an amplifier that is stable to well under 4 ohms and most receivers just can't cut it in that department.

In your case a decent Rotel or Outlaw two or three channel amp would really help the RF-7s shine.

You definitely need to juice uo the RF-7's to get your money's worth. 500 wpc from a pro-amp will, without a doubt, put a grin on your face for two-channel listening and won't break the bank!! (Crown XTI-2000 for $625)

To contradict some of the opinions here, I was in a similar position and decided to replace the amplifier portion of my receiver with an Outlaw 7500. It was a simple and seamless upgrade. HOWEVER, my ears could not tell the difference with the soundtracks I listened to.

Although many say that you can achieve greater soundstage and the headroom will undoubtedly give better response, in my application, the difference with my RF-7's was negligible using my unscientific measurement methods.

In retrospect, the money spent only helped satisfy my upgrade needs. Time might have been better spent determining frequency response of the room and doing the appropriate treatments. (Too bad I don't have the tools nor the expertise in this area)

• Like 1

Ok so here's my dilemma. I have a brand new shiny Yamaha 2700 that puts out (manufacturers claim) 140w x 7 @ 7ohm. I probably don’t need a separate amp but would the difference be that much noticeable?

So you've got a brand-new receiver. Are you unhappy with the sound of it? Are you thinking of returning it before you've heard it? If it's not powerful enough when it's driving your 7 speakers, you can always add a separate power amp to drive some of them.

All separate power amps are not better, just the better ones...

Its not that im unhappy with the yammy. but at high volumes, where there is no or little sound, there is a definite hiss. And when you look at these speakers you expect a greater depth. I've played with settings I'm confident its not that. Maybe the source? all my audio is over fiber and i have low gauge speaker wire connecting everything. The one thing that may be the reason, which i havent attempted to remedy. I have my sub in between my receiver and my RF-7's. I was told this was a good way to set up my system, so the sub would pick up the low frequencies on 2 channel listening. maybe i should go direct reciever to towers. In any case I am picking up a B&K 2 channel this weekend to test. I'll let you all know what i hear.

Unfortunately there are a lot of opinions on this topic. I may just have to do what i like best, given the budget of course. I do like the idea of an external 7 or 5 channel amp. It does make sense. I hope there is a noticeable difference audibly.

Thanks for the help

Boy, you'll hate me for this ................... Ever think of trying Heritage speakers before you dump more money in electronics ? That Yamaha should be fine, only one thing ........... is that 140 watts per at 20 to 20,000 hz....... or is it at 1000 hz ... check specs again , but it shouldn't make any difference, my Yamaha was rated at 140 in the 1000 hz range, and 120 per at 20 to20,000 hz, so mine is really 120 per ........ Want greater depth, Cornwalls !!!!