Electro-voice Interface C's???

ajcllc

I've got a pair of Interface D's that I bought new back in about 1978. My guess is the C's would be near the Cornwalls? (only based on basic size/appearance)

For $150 or so? If they are working, I'd say nab them. You might want to know that on the D's anyway, the foam surrounds need refoamed about every 10 years before they rot on you. As I understand it, EV no longer has that available (though perhaps someone else does?)

I've never heard the C's, I only heard the D's and bought them right away. The next year I bought some LaScalas and I had all 4 of them stuffed into my college dorm rooms and then college apartment (and onto this stage in my life)

The D's will trounce my LaScalas in deep base (-3 db at 28 hz) but the LaScalas will trounce the EV's in what I call "mid bass" with their punch. Having both in system together was more like having the LaScalas with some subwoofers!

Obviously only your ears can tell you what's right. Myself... I like the idea of refoaming my D's again and maybe tossing them into the garage. I just can't yet, bear the thought of ridding myself of them (though my wife would love it)

That sounds pretty accurate Coyotee. The interface line used some pro level drivers and loaded them into a large CE box. These were expensive in their day. The tweeter was a phenolic dome used in some of the studio monitors (MS802) and it had a foam diffuser which usually needed replaced every 10 years. The woofer had a similar issue with the foam surround. An experienced speaker tech can replace the surround if parts are not available but it may be a challenge to find someone.

As far as the mid range that was one of the best that EV made. The VMR (Vented Mid Range) had an extremely large magnet on it so the flux density would be quite high. That driver was used a lot on the keyboard MI stage speakers for monitors. This system is known to be quite flat and quite warm. It wouldn't be as efficient as most Klipsch products but what speaker would? Not many CE speakers.

Another thought ajcllc, the C AND D both used an outboard equalizer. You might want to be sure the seller has it. If in fact he doesn't, I have one (for mine) and if some of the guys here think it's possible... we could maybe use mine to backward engineer it so you could make one.

Prof Thump...when you say 'CE' speakers, what do you mean by that?

Side note on the VMR... I have an original glossy brochure on the D's and an old review of them. EV says that the midrange driver "uses exactly the same 16-pound magnetic structure as the woofer so it can deliver long-term sound pressure levels of up to 115 db's and peaks up to 125 db" I always thought that was interesting.