denon with RF-7's

brokenarrow1

I've been listening to this combo for 6 years, so I think I'm more than qualified to say it sounds lifeless and dull. IMO, it's not a harsh and grainy as some here might tell you (I still listen to the combo); however, you really notice how lifeless the sound is once the 7's are set up with better amplification.

-PB

It's all personal preference. I ran my system with a Denon 3805 and loved the sound. Before I got my Denon, I was using a Pioneer VSX-1015tx and the difference was night and day. The Pioneer sounded good at the time I thought, until I bought the Denon. As soon as I hooked up the Denon, my speakers woke up. I started to hear things I never heard before and I didn't have to push it that hard. I just recently purchased an Acurus 200x3 and entered a whole new world. My front soundstage is amazing. I turned off my sub and set my mains and center to large, and was very impressed. I don't think you will be dissapointed. What model are you thinking about?

Thanks Arky. I bought is last year around October and when I first purchased it, I hooked it up and had a loud hum coming from all three speakers. I thought I bought a bad amp. Then I purchased a Mondai Magic box cable isolater and it took care of the ground loop. I couldn't be happier...

I run a Denon 3805 with Crown XTI's and the sound is awesome. I've recently been doing blind tests with a JM Peach ll and a Marantz 3600 pre-amps (excellent two-channel pre's) and the 3805 is right there. I manually adjust the eq for music and it gives me the sound that I want.

I own two Denon recievers and without quality amps they sound dry and stale to me. They're excellent for movies on their own, very clean and detailed.............but with quality amplification music gets the same results.

Also, RF-7's need a lot more power than the reciever can put out to make them come alive.

Let me take a contrary opinion. ;-)

I ran the RF-7's with a Denon AVR 3805 for several months and understand where some folks are coming from, but I feel the Denon AVR 4806 is a considerable upgrade to the lower end models. The THX Ultra II spec that require AVRs to drive speakers that dip down to 3.2 Ohms (along with an additional power supply) is a hidden caveat that is beneficial to RF-7 owners.

I won't argue that separate amps won't make these speakers sing but the Video & Audio processing features along with some other bells and whistles (I like the Audyssey EQ program) could make an upper end Denon attractive for a small RF-7 Home Theater, imho.

I am using the Denon 3803 with KLF-30's and I don't have any complaints. If it is in your budget seperates would probably be an improvement. What it comes down to in the end is how it sounds to YOU. How your room is set up also will contribute to whether the sound is lifeless or harsh. Speaker placement, sound damping, all will have an effect on your listening experience. DIY did an excellent job this weekend going through all of these areas step by step.

I had my eyes on that reciever before I purchased my Acurus amp. I would go for it. How loud do you like your movies or music? How big is your room? If you are not satisfied with the volume level of the Denon and you can afford a power amp, get one. There are some Acurus 200x3 amps on Audiogon right now. They sound great together. There are many other amps also if you do not want an Acurus. But I strongly recommend it since I have one[:D] Let us know what you end up with and how you like it/them.

Daryl

I noticed a much bigger difference between running rf-7's off an entry level sony reciever and an entry level denon receiver, than from denon to crown xti 2000. Actually, I prefered the denon.

At extreme volumes yes, you can tell the power supply wants more; the inner detail fades and everything starts to sound a little compressed. Still unbelievable what that $250 receiver can do (avr-1907).

I used run my RF7s with the denon 3805. It was pretty decent.

Since i've upgraded to the 4308, much bigger improvement.

But neither can match running them through my Luxman 2 channel 200 watt amp.

I have no subwoofer and the RF-7s rattle my room and get pretty deep.

2 channel listening has so much stage presence and imagery.

Once i can get more amps for my home theater, I can't wait to look into seperates.

Arky I also did not mention that I will be running them through a B & K 200.7 amp. Does that sound like a good set up with the 3808CI

I've never heard B&K but from years of reading this forum people use & like them. You will like it better than just running the avr. At some point try to test a dedicated processor. Have you read the old threads talking about upgrading the crossover networks? DeanG provides this nice service.

This is my last question on this matter, is there another AVR I should be looikng AT ?

I like Hk but they have fallen behind on HOme theater as far as HDMI processing. This is a major purchase and I plan on using this system for many years to come and I don't want to make the wrong call. I think the HK sounds great and I have dean g's crossovers as well.