What it costs to Restore a Fisher 500B tube receiver.......if you go all out....................

Cut-Throat

I kept track of what it cost me to purchase and restore a Fisher 500B.
I now know that I will always keep this piece FOREVER, as there is no
way in hell, I could come close to getting my $$$$ out of it!biggrin.gif
- I'll include some actual pictures of the unit in the Bubinga Cabinet.
The hardest part of the project for me was Cleaning the dial glass on
the inside!

Fisher 500B Restoration Project - Thus Far!biggrin.gif

1 500B in Pristine Cosmetic Condition...............420.00

2 Parts(New Caps, cleaners etc.) for Refurb.......161.00

3 New LED Lamps For Dial................................16.00

4 Consulting for Refurb.....................................100.00

5 New testing quad 7591 Tubes........................265.00

6 Custom Bubinga Wood Cabinet.....................309.00

7 ECC85 Tube and Magic Eye Tube....................40.00

8 Banana Plug Adapters....................................20.00

Total Thus Far............................................$1331.00

Front.jpg?t=1201563412PolishedClassis.jpg?t=1201563488InsideChassis.jpg?t=1201562865Front-Top.jpg?t=1201563294

That's a beauty for sure. Gives me incentive to complete mine. I'd like to get my hands on a case like you have as it's stunning. Who did the work on it, NOSValves?

The case was built by Dan Crosby of Michigan. He has a website. HERE. I did all the refurb work myself under the guidance of a professional. I did clean and paint the transformers.

I think if you keep track of your expenditures on a vintage piece, you'll probably spend more than you think you will. If you don't refurbish it and don't replace the old rectifier and burn your house down, it will cost you a lot more than I paid!

That's a beauty for sure. Gives me incentive to complete mine. I'd like to get my hands on a case like you have as it's stunning. Who did the work on it, NOSValves?

The case was built by Dan Crosby of Michigan. He has a website. HERE. I did all the refurb work myself under the guidance of a professional. I did clean and paint the transformers.

I think if you keep track of your expenditures on a vintage piece, you'll probably spend more than you think you will. If you don't refurbish it and don't replace the old rectifier and burn your house down, it will cost you a lot more than I paid!

Thanks for the website. I'll look into getting one from him when and if I ever get around to restoring mine. Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about spending more than you think you will.

You've got a museum quality piece of gear there! Congrats. Beautiful work.

I actually prefer the 500B to the better known 500C and think the 500B is way ahead on cool factor with the tuning eye tube.

Have one rebuilt in my system, doesn't look nearly as clean as this one, but these are nice pieces of gear, IMO.

Fisher, to my ears, has it's own signature reference of sound that is distinct from Scott or Eico.

Wow and Wow. What a magnificant piece! I have a rebuilt Fisher 400 that is in a console. I had the guy from Bizzy bee rebuild it. It sounds fantastic. I agree with dee that the Fisher sound is unique and wonderful. Not a scott and not a mac. Kind of in between. I do know that Ill not be selling time any time soon especially now that I have that link to the cool cases!

Josh

Lovely! I always liked the fact that Fisher labelled its gear The Fisher.

I know about putting money into gear...I bought a 1959 Zenith Trans-Oceanic (1000 model) for about 125 and spent the same amount getting it professionally serviced and re-aligned. I will never recoup that amount by selling it (on e-bay at least), but I know I have a solid radio for my lifetyime and maybe somebody else's.

It IS a beauty, for sure. Well done.

May I ask how you cleaned the chassis? I cosmetically restored my Fisher 101 and found that to be a huge PITA - used Mother's Billett Polish with rags and q-tips and still couldn't get to it all.

Also don't know how/if to clean the front brass faceplate with the silkscreen lettering on it - I don't know how to do that without the lettering coming off as well.

It IS a beauty, for sure. Well done.

May I ask how you cleaned the chassis? I cosmetically restored my Fisher 101 and found that to be a huge PITA - used Mother's Billett Polish with rags and q-tips and still couldn't get to it all.

Also don't know how/if to clean the front brass faceplate with the silkscreen lettering on it - I don't know how to do that without the lettering coming off as well.

Mostly patience. For the Cap cans, I taped the chassis with painters tape and polished them with the metal cleaner flitz. The chassis, I mostly wiped down with 100% alcohol. Same with the faceplate. I cleaned this over a period of weeks. Just a little at a time. Used a variety of tools - little swabs with foam heads, etc. etc. - And I'm not sure you 'get to it all' - but enough of the grime, that the peice starts looking new again. I painted the transformers with black rustoleum spray paint after removing the rust with alcohol.

• 3 years later...

Not sure how old this topic is but could you tell me what you are using for dial bulbs?

+1 I'm also curious what you used for the LED dial bulbs. I've used LEDs since I was a teenager in the early '70s but never tried them for dial lights in a tube circuit.