JubScala?

Islander

So.... If your reading between the lines here...

A JubeScala would work fantastic. Some of us have heard this combo and can attest to it as well.

I agree with Roy and DeanG.. Past say 8 feet it is just fine... OK fantastic.. LOL Besides, why would you want to be 2-4 feet from anyspeaker anyhow?? Unless it is a pro media type system on your desk! LOL

I like DeanG's pics too.. it really puts things into perspective. Thank you soo much DeanG In the real life real world.. It is a BIG horn.. But it is still ok on top of a Scala. THANK you DeanG for doing that!

1) Obviously the perfect match being looked at hard is with the real Jubilee bottom and the 402 on top. .

2) If your looking for a better low end puch, and have a huge room and room for them... The MCM bottoms for some just can't be topped.. Bigger speakers in this case DO provide Bigger results.. I will stop here, just a second, and say different feeling results too. The mcm's are an amazing speaker for the bottom end. "Most can't put these in their homes.. For the few that have, your gonna get a OMG feeling everytime!" I can only imagine these outside on a lazy summer day...

3) So back to the topic.. JubeScala .. When I heard this combo, I was very much impressed, as were many others in the room. If Roy can figure a good x over (passive) so you can order the 402 horn with the 69driver.. connect some wires to the passive x over..to go to the Horn and down to the La Scala bottom.. And have it be semi affordable.. (Mainly, because we can use our current amps) I really feel most of us with our current set ups could accomplish this upgrade with fantastic resutls! For HT even with the Jubileee your gonna need a good sub system, but it send shivers up my spine thinking of this combo of this thread.

Cost may be a huge hurdle for now.. I will see what it costs and go from there. (Like a lot of you.. dream it into reality, too, maybe heheheheh)

Some may then, at a later date, add the Jubilees bottoms if they like as well. This just gets you to the Jube sound in some way. (Which is that 402 horn..IMO)

BTW, The difference in real life listening between the 510 and the 402 is night and day!

Ok, dumb question time.... need some frame of reference for us dummies (speaking for myself)

In one of these plots, where is the speaker? My guess is I would imagine the speaker above "zero" firing towards 180 meaning 180 would be the on axis line of sight.

is that right?

BTW, The difference in real life listening between the 510 and the 402 is night and day!

I agree with you, at least from the off axis perspective. When we were at the Indy gathering I was sitting at a table which was about halfway between the two Jubilee setups. (one with 510 and other with 402). It wasn't until I was sitting there and they flipped back forth that I REALLY began to understand what was meant by on/off axis.

When the 402 was playing the sound was great, lively and crisp (I sound like a salad commercial). When they flipped over to the 510, it was as though someone just lopped the entire top end of the sound off. Perhaps like your (insert typical Heritage speaker) might sound if it was cranking away in the other room... sounds good but the sizzle (high freq) doesn't make it.

When ON axis I thought the 510 sounded just fine but still liked the 402 more. It was the off axis experience I had that really opened my eyes and helped illustrate some of the comments about bubbles and coverage. It really was a dramatic difference to me.

Ok, dumb question time.... need some frame of reference for us dummies (speaking for myself)

In one of these plots, where is the speaker? My guess is I would imagine the speaker above "zero" firing towards 180 meaning 180 would be the on axis line of sight.

is that right?

Yea, the speaker is firing straight up. The plot is basically telling you how loud each frequency is as you move around the speaker. In fact, when the measurement is taken, the speaker is literally spinning (slowly) on a turntable in the chamber while the microphone stays put. To get the vertical response, they'll put the speaker on its side when it spins.

Yea, the speaker is firing straight up

Not to be too dumb but that confuses me.

If we take one of the plots, most of them have some extra 'dots' in the center of what I'll call the page. On the top of the page is a zero and the bottom of page has 180 (forgetting about left/right)

What I was saying is, the speaker would be OFF the page, facing south, towards 180. Where the "0" is would be the literal mouth of the speaker as it fires towards the direction of 180

As I looked at the plots though, another thought hit me... The speaker COULD be imagined as sitting in the MIDDLE of the page, perhaps where all the odd dots are... I then wonder if the speaker is actually firing TOWARDS zero (which is exactly opposite my original thought) so that zero would be "no degrees off axis" and the 180 location would be 180 degrees off axis.

That would make the dots more logical to me in that I don't understand why if the speaker is on the north edge of the graph, firing south... why there is this confusion of dots on the centerline in the middle of the page and yet smooth lines off to the sides.

It was when I saw that I realized that the middle might be the actual 'location' of the speaker

So... Who.. (or anyone).... you are giving me level 3 answers when I first need to pass 101 course of simply understanding the paper and orientation of the speaker relative to it.

btw, did all my meanderings about dots in the middle make sense?

the 402 would work well in this application. better control of freqs to a lower cutoff minimizes reflections off floors, ceilings, walls. the 510 would work too but not as well as the 402....

So, Roy, how well would a vertically-oriented 402 horn work in a typical living room with an 8-foot ceiling and a listening distance of 13 feet? Would a horizontal orientation be a few percent better or much, much, better? Thanks for your input.

You could also go with the K-510, which is also a very nice horn -- and a little more manageble. The part number is KPT-904-HF, and comes with a B&C driver attached.

Thanks for the drawings, Dean! That really makes the varying size matchups easy to see. The 510 horn would be a lot more manageable, as well as probably less expensive, but most who have heard both really seem to favour the 402. It's just hypothetical at this point, but a pair of Jubilees could be in the long-term plan.