JubScala?

Islander

" the data isn't sufficient to "prove" the validity of the experiment."

Room response changes everything (of course), but here is the Hornresp simulation of the vent mod:

Posted Image

This is with the 7" ports and no filter (the way most people run it).

It should be pointed out that the contours of equal loudness in the 30hz~40hz range around 90dB are only 3dB~4dB apart, so the 7dB more output in the 40hz region of the vented LaScala seems like more than twice as much on the lower notes. With one wall dimension around 16 foot you can generally get enough room gain to be useable to 32hz, and an 8~9 foot ceiling you generally get a bump in the 60hz~70hz region too.

Well I would be happy if the LS's could manage by themselves down to around 50hz. Then have asteep fall off from there.

I wont be building Jubs or Jambs yet so I am not expecting miracles. To 50hz with some serious spl is good enough. The lows can be handled by a sub.

I think the LS's will sound awesome with the slot port but I will always want a sub. I am sure even if I had the Jubs I would want a sub. Just like Cask05.

Oh and another question is what configuration does everyone have with there Jubs?

On the Klipsch 535 I keep seeing dual 12's. I thought everyone had dual 15's?

"Could you post your input data? I'm remembering way different results..."

Did you remember to use 'combined response' ?

Also, that graph was for the K43 (industrial LaScala). I re-ran it with a K33 and it only has about 5dB extra at 40hz, and about 5dB at 50hz too. The response with the 10" ports look more like the K43 with the 7" ports, but people here like the sound of the 7" ports better.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Since I moved up to a K510/K-69-A midrange on my center "JuBelle", I thought that I'd publish the active tri-amping settings in this thread for reference, since the JuBelle and JuScala are very close in performance and settings (the Belle has a wider and shallower bass bin, while the La Scala is narrower and deeper but with essentially the same path length), the crossover to the K-510 is the same.  (I used a Beyma CP25 "baby cheek" tweeter on top of the K-510/K-69-A midrange as a three-way loudspeaker to avoid the 14 kHz chatter of the K-69-A driver on the K-510 horn.)

Three-Way JuBelle with Beyma CP25 tweeter - EV Dx38 Tri-Amp Settings

v0.1 (4 December 2014)

IN1: Master EQ1, Type PEQ, f: 6KHz, Q: 4.0, Gain: 3dB
IN1: Master EQ2, Type HISVL, f: 5KHz, Slope (db/Octave): 6, Gain: 4dB
IN1: Master EQ3, Type Bypass
IN1: Master EQ4, Type Bypass
IN1: Master EQ5, Type Bypass
IN1: Master Delay -- Delay: 1.9ms, Unit: ms

IN2: Master EQ1, Type: Bypass
IN2: Master EQ2, Type: Bypass
IN2: Master EQ3, Type: Bypass
IN2: Master EQ4, Type: Bypass
IN2: Master EQ5, Type: Bypass
IN2:Master Delay -- Delay: 1.9ms, Unit: ms
IN1+In2: Master Delay -- Delay: 1.9ms, Unit: ms

Out1:Routing, Source IN1, Label LO (This is the bass bin channel)
Out1: CHANNEL EQ1,Type: PEQ, f: 144Hz, Q: 9, Gain: -12dB
Out1: CHANNEL EQ2,Type: PEQ, f: 210Hz, Q: 10, Gain: -3dB
Out1: CHANNEL EQ3,Type: PEQ, f: 280Hz, Q: 2, Gain: -12dB
Out1: CHANNEL EQ4,Type: PEQ, f: 500Hz, Q: 2, Gain: 2dB
Out1: HIPASS XOVER, Type: thru
Out1: LOPASS XOVER, Type: Linkwitz 24 dB, f: 420Hz, Pol: norm
Out1: CHANNEL DELAY, Delay: 0.0 us, Unit: us
Out1: COMPRESSOR, Thrsh: 0dB, Rat:1/2.0, Attack: 0ms, Rels:100ms
Out1: LIMITER, Thrsh: 0dB, Release: 100ms
Out1: Level: 0dB, Polarity: Normal

Out2: Routing, Source IN1, Label MID  (This is the K-510/K-69-A midrange channel)
Out2: CHANNEL EQ1,Type: PEQ, f: 1.56kHz, Q: 4, Gain: -3dB
Out2: CHANNEL EQ2,Type: PEQ, f: 2.5kHz, Q: 12, Gain: -6dB
Out2: CHANNEL EQ3,Type: PEQ, f: 3.7kHz, Q: 5, Gain: -5dB
Out2: CHANNEL EQ4,Type LOSVL, f: 4kHz, Slope (db/Octave): 12, Gain: -5dB
Out2::HIPASS XOVER, Type: Linkwitz 24 dB, f: 470Hz, Pol: norm
Out2: LOPASS XOVER, Type: Linkwitz 24 dB, f: 8kHz, Pol: norm
Out2: CHANNEL DELAY, Delay: 1771 us, Unit: us
Out2: COMPRESSOR, Thrsh: 0dB, Rat:1/2.0, Attack: 0ms, Rels:100ms
Out2: LIMITER, Thrsh: 0dB, Release: 100ms
Out2: Level: -9.0dB, Polarity: Normal

Out3: Routing, Source IN1, Label HI  (This is the Beyma CP25 tweeter channel)
Out3: CHANNEL EQ1,Type: PEQ, f: 8.8kHz, Q: 12, Gain: -3dB
Out3: CHANNEL EQ2,Type: PEQ, f: 10.8kHz, Q: 4, Gain: 4dB
Out3: CHANNEL EQ3,Type: PEQ, f: 16.8kHz, Q: 4, Gain: 8dB
Out3: CHANNEL EQ4,Type: Bypass
Out3: HIPASS XOVER, Type: Linkwitz 24 dB, f: 8kHz, Pol: norm
Out3: LOPASS XOVER, Type: thru
Out3: CHANNEL DELAY, Delay: 2071 us, Unit: us
Out3: COMPRESSOR, Thrsh: 0dB, Rat:1/2.0, Attack: 0ms, Rels:100ms
Out3: LIMITER, Thrsh: 0dB, Release: 100ms
Out3: Level: -15.5dB, Polarity: Normal

(Channel 4 not used for this application - center channel only)

* EV recommends using the same settings for its low pass/high pass filters.

This green trace below is the center 3-way JuBelle frequency response taken one metre from the front of the JuBelle and about a metre off the floor, superimposed on the left and right Jubilee frequency response traces.

front three spks - one metre + sub on jubs.png

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

The 1977 drawings are what I will be going by

My 2 cents? If I were you, I'd do what ever it takes to NOT use 3/4" plywood unless I was going to double it up on the outside or add internal braces. One of the main things they wanted to fix with the LaScala II was the sides of the original design. They have a strong propensity to resonate and muddy up the bass a bit, noticably so. If you could use 1" or put the wedgies in the mouth or something.....anything.... to fix that, you'll be glad you did.

YES!

Well I would be happy if the LS's could manage by themselves down to around 50hz. Then have asteep fall off from there.

I wont be building Jubs or Jambs yet so I am not expecting miracles. To 50hz with some serious spl is good enough. The lows can be handled by a sub.

I think the LS's will sound awesome with the slot port but I will always want a sub. I am sure even if I had the Jubs I would want a sub. Just like Cask05.

Oh and another question is what configuration does everyone have with there Jubs?

On the Klipsch 535 I keep seeing dual 12's. I thought everyone had dual 15's?

You need to build Quarter Pie bass horns.

It's been mentioned that a JubScala might be a stepping-stone to a Jubilee. From my point of view, the Jubilees are a bit costly, even if they are a great value. As well, they're just plain BIG! It's wouldn't be so bad if they're in the end of a room, but in my place you have to walk past the right speaker to get into the room, so the size (particularly width) would be undeniable.

However, the JubScala could be a way to go. Here's my question: does the 402 horn/K69 combo work equally well in a vertical orientation?

Turned on its side, a 402 would be roughly the width of a La Scala, so it would look more attractive than having it set up horizontally. If it did sound just as good, I could look into getting a set of La Scala bass bins, or just use my present Scalas and disconnect the HF section.

The horn could be tilted down a little to compensate for the extra height.

Any ideas or opinions?

La Scala is 1" DEEPER than the Jubilee you do realize, right?

Jubilee is around 24" deep.....La Scala 25.5" or so.

Just saying....

• Like 1

It's been mentioned that a JubScala might be a stepping-stone to a Jubilee. From my point of view, the Jubilees are a bit costly, even if they are a great value. As well, they're just plain BIG! It's wouldn't be so bad if they're in the end of a room, but in my place you have to walk past the right speaker to get into the room, so the size (particularly width) would be undeniable.

However, the JubScala could be a way to go. Here's my question: does the 402 horn/K69 combo work equally well in a vertical orientation?

Turned on its side, a 402 would be roughly the width of a La Scala, so it would look more attractive than having it set up horizontally. If it did sound just as good, I could look into getting a set of La Scala bass bins, or just use my present Scalas and disconnect the HF section.

The horn could be tilted down a little to compensate for the extra height.

Any ideas or opinions?

La Scala is 1" DEEPER than the Jubilee you do realize, right?

Jubilee is around 24" deep.....La Scala 25.5" or so.

Just saying....

I'm well aware of the dimensions of the La Scala, and the La Scala II, and although I still don't have Jubilees, I'm familiar with their measurements, too.  This is a really old thread.  I got the JubScalas set up in 2008, with K510 horns and K-69 tweeters purchased from another forum member located in the US.  In 2013, a member who was much closer (south of Vancouver, BC) was selling his La Scala IIs.

It was a great deal, so I hurried over to the mainland and brought them home.  They were quickly converted to 510 JubScala II spec, and the original La Scalas (upgraded with CT125 tweeters and Sonicaps long ago) became my side surround speakers.  The rear centre speaker is a Heresy III, for a 6.1 system when I'm not listening in regular 2-channel stereo.

This forum is a great place, to make new friends, sometimes acquire new-to-you equipment, and especially to learn about audio.  I thought I knew a fair bit before, but after I joined the forum, the real learning began.

Welcome to the forum, Scotty!

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2015 at 4:59 AM, 'Scotty H said:

La Scala is 1" DEEPER than the Jubilee you do realize, right? Jubilee is around 24" deep.....a Scala 25.5" or so. Just saying....

Corner-loaded Heritage Profiles.jpg

• Like 2

I got the JubScalas set up in 2008, with K510 horns and K-69 tweeters

A misnomer for sure. Roy designed the Jubilee (Jube for short) with Paul Klipsch and designed the K-510 tweeter for the MCM stack and 3-way Jube. He says what makes a Jube is the BASS BIN, not a tweeter. But inconsequential nonetheless. Real Jubes have much better bass.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• Klipsch Employees

I got the JubScalas set up in 2008, with K510 horns and K-69 tweeters

A misnomer for sure. Roy designed the Jubilee (Jube for short) with Paul Klipsch and designed the K-510 tweeter for the MCM stack and 3-way Jube. He says what makes a Jube is the BASS BIN, not a tweeter. But inconsequential nonetheless. Real Jubes have much better bass.

You have got half of the story correct. I did help with Pauls design on the lf of the jub. And yes to me the lf makes the sound of jub extraordinary. But by then I had designed the 510 and 402 and quite a few modified tractrix horns. So when paul asked me set up something to demo the lf with I used the 510. That is what paul listened to on a a/b test with a klipschorn. And what made him smile. To me it was......mission accomplished!!!!

I did some experiments to get the most of the la scala has bin and a jub scala sounds very good. In reality a la scala bass bin and jub lf have a lot more in common than a khorn lf.

. In reality a la scala bass bin and jub lf have a lot more in common than a khorn lf.

Well, I was just quoting you verbatim from 2007 as to what makes a Jube a Jube, and, like all of us, you are allowed to change your mind over time, LOL. No worries here, but I am always glad when you chime in to staighten out us "lay people" as Paul used to call the press, the "lay press."

As to the similarities to the LaScala, Trey said the same thing to me that time vs. the Jube in a half space, cornerless measurment. Personally, I really like the K-402 on top of a LaScala bin as a 2-way because for the first time in history, the "tweeter" is bigger than the woofer. LOL.

Edited by ClaudeJ1