JubScala?

Islander

What I was saying is, the speaker would be OFF the page, facing south, towards 180. Where the "0" is would be the literal mouth of the speaker as it fires towards the direction of 180

As I looked at the plots though, another thought hit me... The speaker COULD be imagined as sitting in the MIDDLE of the page, perhaps where all the odd dots are... I then wonder if the speaker is actually firing TOWARDS zero (which is exactly opposite my original thought) so that zero would be "no degrees off axis" and the 180 location would be 180 degrees off axis.

That would make the dots more logical to me in that I don't understand why if the speaker is on the north edge of the graph, firing south... why there is this

The speaker is in the middle of the page...maybe this picture will help:

post-10350-13819360159376_thumb.jpg

"When the 402 was playing the sound was great, lively and crisp (I sound like a salad commercial). When they flipped over to the 510, it was as though someone just lopped the entire top end of the sound off."

That is interesting. I think the biggest difference between the K510/K402 is pattern control at the bottom end. The K402 holds its coverage pattern to a lower frequency then the K510. IOW the K510 would put out more energy in the bottom end (up to around 2k compared to the K402 per Roy) to a much wider angle then the K402.

In this comparison is there any chance you were sitting outside of the coverage pattern of the K510? If you were outside the K510s regular coverage pattern you would hear that low end material from the horn where it couldn't hold its pattern but would be missing the material where the horn was still holding its pattern... the top end.

Shawn

How many people have a JubScala and are there any good photos of one (or two)?

How about three?

84288.aspx?PageIndex=1084288.aspx?PageIndex=10DSCN0004.JPG

If one wanted to the K510 would fit in the baffle of the LaScala. I kept them out of it so I could better aim the horns and to get them right at the bottom edge of the screen.

Shawn

When the 402 was playing the sound was great, lively and crisp (I sound like a salad commercial). When they flipped over to the 510, it was as though someone just lopped the entire top end of the sound off. Perhaps like your (insert typical Heritage speaker) might sound if it was cranking away in the other room... sounds good but the sizzle (high freq) doesn't make it.

Richard, I'm going to take a scary stand here and say that I would like to hear that comparison again. Reason being.......I was sitting next to you when you heard it. But...I also remember a particular amp overheating during that listening session. So, I'm skeptical of that particular audition. For one....when the K510 first started playing...I was very impressed. Then as time moved on.....the K510 was not as impressive. So....I need to A/B that again for myself.

I'm not saying this just because I own the K510's. I'm about to own K402's too. There is no doubt in my mind that the K402 is the king.

jc

In this comparison is there any chance you were sitting outside of the coverage pattern of the K510?

Yes I do belive I was outside the pattern. Let me phrase it this way... I could still see "inside" the mouth of the 402 but I don't think I could see the actual throat. The 510 was not as visible. If I was able to see inside the mouth, (and I do say 'if' because I wasn't really focusing on that) it would have been just perhaps the outer ridge of it... in other words, I could see deeper into the mouth of the 402 since it's so wide than the 510

"Yes I do belive I was outside the pattern. "

OK, I think that makes sense then. Outside of the K510s pattern you would still hear the low end from the horn where it has lost control of its coverage pattern but the high end would still be contained within its pattern. As such it would sound like the top end of the horn was cut off. I think the obvious answer to that is... get within the coverage pattern. ;)

On the K402 when you move out of its pattern it should be more obvious that you are moving out of the pattern as you will loose more material as the horn holds it pattern lower.

This also demonstrates how the K510 will interact with your room more then the K402. It will put out more midrange energy over a wider area into the room with all the interactions that entails.

Would be fun comparing the two horns in room in the same position vs. the two horns outside/in the chamber in the same location to hear how the differences in pattern control alter the sound of the two horns even when on axis.

Shawn

I think the obvious answer to that is... get within the coverage pattern

True...however, as it turned out, I wasn't even trying to listen... I was sitting at a table trying to converse with some of the guys. Since I already had a pair of these at home, I figured I'd not join the crowd and be another pair of elbows jabbing someone since I had nothing to learn.

Then I learned something!!! (when they did the A/B and I heard the difference in sound by being outside the coverage)

I presumed that would be similar to listening to what DocWho calls the power response? Or can you only be listening to the power response from outside the same room the speakers are in?

If one wanted to the K510 would fit in the baffle of the LaScala. I kept them out of it so I could better aim the horns and to get them right at the bottom edge of the screen.

So you have three of them? That's a real wall of sound you have there! That must sound really good. It's interesting to see how the 510 horn could be fitted into the HF section of a Scala, although that would mean altering the cabinet.

The 510 would be the straightforward and sensible way to go, but getting the best sound is rarely straightforward. We're all here because we're not all there, as the saying goes...