Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Funny thing about the LP collecting "sickness", I later mostly think about the rare valuable finds not the bulk. I have space, that is why I can grow such tasty vegetables and corn. As it was, my friend who had orignally filled that barn with records was the most indiscriminate thrift store collector you could ever imagine. I left behind more than half because they were not worth finding any more cardboard boxes to carry them out of there. After selling some for him (a nice chunk of change he appreciated) I ended up with keepers for the trouble. Not only does one find treasures in this process, but one LEARNS about great music that one may not have previously known about and sometimes new categories of appreciation. Discoveries! Valuable 1st hand knowledge. Learning from the past. Expanding consciousness use to be a good thing.

hard to pass up those NM albums, huh? good going.....

(give yourself permission to be a "wise steward".....

c&s

The last really interesting find I came across was at the local Catholic Charities. In the middle of their pile of 78's (which I almost always ignore), I found two KKK (yesm Klan) records. Disclaimer: In NO WAY do I endorse or support the views of the KKK or any other racist organization! That said, I had to buy them (for a buck apiece) to see what exactly the Klan might have been pressing. One track was crooner-ish (with a chorus of "That's why I'm a Klansman, a Klansman through and through") and the others sounded like typical gospel of the period. Crazy, and a bit twisted, but interesting.

Chances are good these are very valuable history. For them to have survived as 78's is in itself extraordinary. One thing I always think of when I find a special 78: It may be the only copy in existence.

To a historian of the period these would be of immense value. Unless you want to keep them, you should find the right historian or history department to donate them to. An individual doing a klan documentary would KILL for them. Mopix, and especially audio recordings, of klan activities are rare.

Regards,
Dave

WOW! KKK 78s! I agree with Dave 100%. Those could be extremely valuable to the right people and wonderful donations. I'd do some research and see if they have historical significance.

I flip through 78s on occasion hoping to find that evasive stack of Charlie Parker records. Too bad the Dorsey brother's 78s are worthless. Seems every other 78 I look at is one or the other.

Chances are good these are very valuable history. For them to have survived as 78's is in itself extraordinary. One thing I always think of when I find a special 78: It may be the only copy in existence.

To a historian of the period these would be of immense value. Unless you want to keep them, you should find the right historian or history department to donate them to. An individual doing a klan documentary would KILL for them. Mopix, and especially audio recordings, of klan activities are rare.

Regards,
Dave

I agree entirely, Dave. I made a (crude) CD of them some time ago after I met a black folk singer who expressed an immense interest in them. I need to find a proper 78 EQ to really transfer them (and many of my other 78s) properly and archive them. I am sure they would be of interest to any number of museums, and I suspect they'll end up in one someday... maybe the National Civil Rights Museum? For now, they are safely stored among my collection.

Being newish to this aspect of the audiophile sickness I am always eager to learn from those who have traveled the path before me. What are the phases I can expect to travel through on my journey to audio nervana?

I am assuming that I will soon reach my limit for "total number of lps" that I am comfortable keeping to avoid the appearance of being totally eccentric. My best guess is that this will top out at about 2000-3000. Then I will drift into the "if I buy one I ditch one" phase. Any collecting advice for a novice will be greatly appreciated.

And I would also like to know how many lps you guys have in your own collections...and I expect absolute honesty....unless your spouse also monitors this list.

Being newish to this aspect of the audiophile sickness I am always eager to learn from those who have traveled the path before me. What are the phases I can expect to travel through on my journey to audio nervana?

I am assuming that I will soon reach my limit for "total number of lps" that I am comfortable keeping to avoid the appearance of being totally eccentric. My best guess is that this will top out at about 2000-3000. Then I will drift into the "if I buy one I ditch one" phase. Any collecting advice for a novice will be greatly appreciated.

And I would also like to know how many lps you guys have in your own collections...and I expect absolute honesty....unless your spouse also monitors this list.

Here's what I went through.....

I got back into vinyl in '03 and started hitting the thrift stores hard. We have excellent stores here which made it easy. I bought just about anything sealed and anything NM that I thought would either sound good or I could possibly like. It was mostly classic rock and jazz but also some classical, a little comedy, musicals, etc. Once I hit about 5,000 LPs (about a year later), I started to worry. Many of the LPs I though would be great to have because of condition sounded like crap anyway or I just hated the music. Suddenly I had 3,000 albums I KNEW I'd never play. Also, My wife was getting on me for becoming a pack rat. Everytime I sold a TT or a pair of speakers, I would throw in 500 or so LPs as part of the deal. I began selling large quantities of LPs for next to nothing just to get rid of them. Also, I discovered audiophile pressings. With the rare exception (and you learn quickly what those exceptions are by the label), I would not buy an album from the thrift shop although I still looked at least once/week (still do).

Now, 5 years later, I have about 3,000 LPs, all but about 1,000 or less are audiophile pressings (yes, I've spent a fortune). The remainder are either NM originals or less than NM but rare LPs that I will eventually ebay. I have about 200+ MOFIs/other 1/2 speed pressings including 6 of the 8 UHQRs, 300+ Japanese pressings, Classic reissues, original Blue Notes, DCCs, Sheffield Labs, etc. I have more invested in LPs then I do in equipment.

I see others selling LPs on the forum for $3 (not even NM!!) and just wish I had the time to do the same. Almost all my remaining LPs are NM but I don't have the time to list them or package them up to 50 different buyers. One day, someone will come over to my house and get some great deals. I'd like to get rid of every LP I will not play again. If another forum member does me a favor, I usually pay them back with vinyl. LPs also come in handy around Christmas time.

So that's my story. I'm still buying audiophile pressings but I'm selling at about the same pace to keep the collection (and my spending) in check.

Gary,

TurboTax includes a program called ItsDeductible! with their software. With it, you plug in how many of what you've donated to charity, and it gives you a dollar amount. I was VERY surprised to see they allow you to deduct 3 bucks per record! That might be a good option for you...

Nice haul, there! Do you already have outfits to go with the purses?Confused

That little 9 West bag should go great with my Lilly Pulitzer spring outfit. Now, if I can find mens size 13 heels, I'll be the toast of the local TV scene. Don't you guys take your wives along when you go on a record hunt? Heck, who is gonna work the GPS while the driver races to the next pile of vinyl? Both HER pursues cost 2.50 I think!

Gary,

TurboTax includes a program called ItsDeductible! with their software. With it, you plug in how many of what you've donated to charity, and it gives you a dollar amount. I was VERY surprised to see they allow you to deduct 3 bucks per record! That might be a good option for you...

I always used $2 per LP until someone told me TurboTax allowed $3. Most thrift shops around here charge either a buck or two. None charge $3. I suppose a $3 deduction is pretty close to selling them for a buck each.

Thanks for the info. What does TurboTax say about autographed Ukelele records?

Ok, so I've had a chance to listen to a few from my last raid and what would be more appropriate than a quick review....

Electra, Judy Collins, “A Maid of Constant Sorrow”, VG NM,
Cat 7209 Her first solo recording and she is very young and has short blond
hair. This is one of the picks from
this haul.

Kicks JC A$$. Very young voice that predates her pop stuff. All folk...powerful and a very good recording. Glad I got this one.

Electra, “Judy Henske” VG VG Vocal/Guitar/Bass/Trombone

Judy is AWESOME!! Blue Cabaret singing at it's best. However, the lp is poppy and it has a ditch on track one that launches my tonearm. Still, I will look for a replacement in better shape. She's a bit chatty between songs in a rather irritating style, but once she starts singing, you better stand back.

Columbia, “Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison”, EX NM , Pivotal
Cash recording in NM condition, I
gladly put down $10.

Probably my favorite Johnny Cash lp of all time and it sounds great.

I went back to the stash to pick up another Brenda Lee lp in absolutely mint condition, this the self titled Brenda Lee that was her first stereo lp. Tends to sell in the upper $40s to $50's but not at the country store.

PS. I never buy purses at thrift stores, but I do check them for money....

I look forward to the day that I get my TT rig fully operational. Those boxes of LP's that Gary so kindly shipped me years ago will undoubted give me evenings of entertainment sifting through those that will be kept and those that will be passed on to others....[Y]