Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

I get so much stuff from thrift stores and craigslist.

KG 3.5's for $50 a pair (2 pair) off CL. (first time Klipsch owner starting this week)

NAD tuner, 112 preamp, 114 amp, and cd player for $60

Nakamichi AV-2 receiver for $35

JBL 2500 speakers $15 (traded for a project Carver TFM-25)

Polk RT-25pair - $15

I got 30 classical CDs for $1 each too! all almost brand new.

Gee. I think these might have been Friday evening after work on July 31st... I'm a bit behindon things...

From the local Goodwill.

CD

Reliant K - The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek

• Contemporary Christian from a group the girls actually like some of there stuff. I think the one or two we have I also like. And it was cheap.

LPs

Neil Diamond - Moods MCA UNI 93136 1972 contains "Song Sung Blue" the first Neil Diamond song I remember from like the 4th grade

Philip Bailey - Triumph A&M SP 754 1986

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells Virgin FZ 34116 1973

Journey - Escape Columbia TC 37408 1981

Leon Patillo - Live Experience Myrrh MSB-6728 1983

• one of the first CCM artist I listened to and really liked, especially live though should be interesting to see how one man show at keyboards with sequenced drum machines and accompaniment sounds 20+ years later

Bill Cosby - The Best Of Bill Cosby Warner Brothers WS 1798 year?

• Bill Cosby for a buck and vinyl at least very clean - a no brainer
  • Contains such classics as
    • "Noah: right!"
    • "Driving In San Francisco"
    • and more... I think my colleg roommate had this album

And Friday August 7th at the Westfield Goodwill on the way home from the DCI open class semifinals in Indianapolis

One CD. Steve Winwood - About Time

Still no $30 Klipsch or $5 turntables but probably did get a really good deal on a pair of Tannoy SRM 12B studio monitors but some good to great music for a song .... makes it hard to pay more than $3 for a CD.

Thankfully, Dennie's "Black Heroin" is pretty cheap and harmless and emits glorious sounds when played back on what to most people under the age of 20 something or 30 view as archaic museum pieces known as turntables aka record players that one plugs into one's stereo, often with an extra little box called a phono preamp in between ....

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by my local used Music/Record store today and came home with:

Vinyl: $1.00 each and they both look like they have never been played.

Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton 1970 RSO Records

41MYVG7WZTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Styx - Cornerstone 1979 A&M Records

415634V29PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

CD's:

Cassandra Wilson Loverly $5.99

41vno64FpYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and Belly Of The Sun $3.99

41E9FE5QF0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of LPs (aka Dennie's Black Heroin) from a local sorority thrift store.... their cause I think is helping those have difficulty hearing, gotta love that.

Ray Charles - Modern Sound In Country And Western Music

• ABC-Paramount ABCS-410 (the stereo version, ABC-410 is the mono version) don't see a copyright year
  • Recorded at Capitol Studies New York Feb 5 and 7 1962, recording engineers Frank Abbey, Gene Thompson and Unided Recording Studios Hollywood Feb 15 1962, engineer Bill Putnam, recording supervisor Sid Feller
  • I passed on this one a couple of weeks ago but it was sitll there [:D]

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream & Other Delights

• A&M LP110, no copyright year found, MONO
  • already have a pretty nice copy - it'd be cool if it was in stereo, non?

So nobody else has found any deals lately?

I wonder if the new Nanny State is going to impact antique electronics resale ?

New Government Policy Imposes Strict Standards on Garage Sales Nationwide

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,552021,00.html

I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before the Feds outlaw the resale of RoHS (i.e. those with lead solder) items just as they are doing for other thrift and garage sale items.

That'd be difficult to enforce..wonder if its true. Is there a more reliable news service out there reporting this or is this another one of Fox's BS distillations?

Staying with the topic of this thread, on Monday I picked up the Beatles' 'Revolution' on R2R (7.5ips) at the local Salvation Army. I asked everyone in the store where the other tapes were but apparently, this was the only one that came in. Given the nature of donations, I was really hoping that there was a box of these tapes laying around but..no luck. I can't wait to give it a listen. Have fun

Sounds like things are getting out of control Oblio.... I hope this doesn't come true..... getting visions of the new Department of Vintage Electronics Security ... federal agents in haz-mat suits raiding garage sales confiscating anything and everything with a trace of solder in it... of course maybe we could twist this to our advantage? We get Groomlakearea51 put in charge (I think he's hoping to retire in the not too distant future) and we become the agents... disposition of confiscated goods left to the discretion of the Czar of Homeland Vintage Electronics Safety.

1 CD from a garage sale on the way home from buying water softener salt on the way home from work

Dick Haymes - Best Of Dick Haymes

• You've never heard of Dick Haymes? Neither have I. On the CURB label. Looks like something the mother-out-law or Dad's fiancee would like
  • a 50 cent stocking stuffer

The local Goodwill on the way home from the garage sale.

The BBE Audio Restoration System that I had trouble passing up yesterday.

• I hope it works
  • A few scratches but appears to be in pretty good shape
  • It sounds like it could be fun and could improve the sound for some recordings - or really muck it up I suppose if not used judiciously
  • My memory says I've always read good things about BBE (Barcus Berry Electronics) equipment
  • Made In The USA (yes, a few electronics are still made in the USA, or were not that long ago)

LPs (I can stop anytime, yes I can, I really can ... )

Hadley Hockensmith - Heartsongs

• 1986 Sparrow - Meadow Lark Records - MLR 7010
  • Meadow Lark I think a new age sort of label for Sparrow
  • anticipating this'll be pretty good chill music
Produced by Stevie Wonder - Selections From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack The Woman In Red
  • 1986 Motown / Orion Pictures ZL72285
  • Very nice condition except for the remains of a spider egg sack when open the double cover [:o]
  • I forgot they made LPs this thin ... and yet it's nice and flat.... (Heartsongs is also really thin though didn't seem quite as thin or light)
  • If I can steam clean this one without ruining it I can steam clean anything

Passed on Gerry Rafferty's CIty To City - very good condition but on Fame? and too thin and glossy like a cheap reissue but in good condition

Sorry Amy, didn't see any show tunes or at least didn't see any that weren't all beat to crap.

Sounds like things are getting out of control Oblio.... I hope this doesn't come true..... getting visions of the new Department of Vintage Electronics Security ... federal agents in haz-mat suits raiding garage sales confiscating anything and everything with a trace of solder in it... of course maybe we could twist this to our advantage? We get Groomlakearea51 put in charge (I think he's hoping to retire in the not too distant future) and we become the agents... disposition of confiscated goods left to the discretion of the Czar of Homeland Vintage Electronics Safety.

Great idea !

We could call ourselves 'The Yucca Flats Gang', and store ( for a nominal fee of course) all the Haz Mat electronics confiscated by the Feds.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my best vinyl scores yesterday, if not for selection, then certainly for the new/unplayed condition of some and stunning quiet mint of the rest. All the covers look brand new.

Classical: Mozart Requiem: Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music. Emma Kirby & other on L'Oiseau-Lyre. My God what an incredible recording AND performance. Fabulous pressing to boot.

Rachmaninoff Concerto 2, Byron Janis, Dorati, Minneapolis. Mercury.

Wagner: Orchestral preludes, overtures, etc. Dorati, LSO. Mercury

Verdi: Aida. Leontyne Price, Rome Opera House & Orch, Solti. RCA Living Stereo

Bizet: Carmen. Troyanos, Domingo, TeKanawa. Solti. LPO. London

Popular: Jackson Browne: Saturate Before Using

Jackson Browne: Late For The Sky

Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms (guilty pleasure)

CSN&Y: Deja Vu

Neil Young: Harvest

Neil Young: After The Gold Rush

Paul Simon: Graceland

Les McCann & Eddie Harris: Swiss Movement (Live at Montreaux 69)

The Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

The Moody Blues: Every Good Boy Deserves Favor

The Moody Blues: A Question of Balance

All for a buck each.

One of my best vinyl scores yesterday, if not for selection, then certainly for the new/unplayed condition of some and stunning quiet mint of the rest. All the covers look brand new.

Classical: Mozart Requiem: Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music. Emma Kirby & other on L'Oiseau-Lyre. My God what an incredible recording AND performance. Fabulous pressing to boot.

A+

Visited the mother out law St Ruth over the weekend. Naturally I had to do a bit of shopping. I've scored somre really good / fun CDs and a trombone for our youngest daughter at a local pawn shop but when I get there practically no inventory... thankfully they're only moving about a block and a half off the square and not closing down, opening in their new location Tuesday. You can bet I'll be making a visit on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

A couple of LPs at a thrift / consignment shop I'd not visited before that may not have been open the last time I was in town.

Featuring members of the Original New Your Production -
Selections From The Theatre Guild Musical Play - OKLAHOMA!

Alfred Drack, Joan Roberts, Howard daSilva, Celeste Holm, Lee Dixon with "OKLAHOMA" Orchestra and Chorus difected by Jay Blackton

Music by Richard Rodgers Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II Production directed by Rouben Mamoulian

DECCA Long Play Microgroove Unbreakable Record - 8000

1949 (yes, 1949) Decca Decca 8000

While not exactly minty by any means the cover and vinyl are both a bit worn but that said the vinyl appears to be in pretty good shape and should clean up nicely - especially for an LP from 1949.

Just seemed too cool and historical to pass on.... that said as I think I've promised Amy I'd keep my eyes open I'll
probably
give it to her if she wants it as I think she'd appreciate it more.

Boots Randolph -
Sentimental Journey

1973 CBS / Monument KZ 32292

No innner liner but the shrink wrap is still on the outside but open and the vinyl is very clean - looks like new.

A couple of CDs from the Goodwill

U2 -
Achtung Baby

Various -
Motown Legends Volume 1

1. Shop Around - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles

notes_clear._V47082447_.gif

2. (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave - Martha & the Vandellas

3. My Guy - Mary Wells

4. For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder

5. Come See About Me - Diana Ross & the Supremes

6. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - The Four Tops

7. Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye

8. You Keep Me Hangin' On [*] - Diana Ross & the Supremes

9. Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - The Temptations

10. Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day [*] - Stevie Wonder

11. Love Child [*] - Diana Ross & the Supremes

Like I'm gonna pass on this for $1.99

Unfortunately no front or back covers. Had a CD-R labeled Bryana underneath the Motown disc. Bonus I guess.

Also needs a good cleaning but should play fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much in the way of vinyl lately, but Goodwill has been good to me.

First I found a Marantz SR-360 receiver. Nice and clean and good working order. $2.99

Then last week I found a Pioneer PD-M453 6 disc CD player new in the box with all accessories including owners manual for $9.99

Made a great score on about 50 1st issue rock lps from the late 60's. Lots of Colombia 2-eyes. GREAT condition for the most part. 1A/1A mint- copy of the 1st Santana album, Stones, Cream, Procol Harum, The Band, Dylan, Neil Young, Tubes, Dead, Youngbloods, Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies...I've got some cleanin' and playin' to do!!

post-3580-1381951153392_thumb.jpg