Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Bummer about the Latino amp. I hate that! You think, "Finally, I've got my system together!," then poof!

Great score with the Adcom. It seems that was a well-regarded amp w/Klipsch speakers a few years back. Do a search!

Now that does bring back some memories. I saw Degarmo and Key open for Petra a very very very very very very very long time ago. Wasn't even old enough to drive myself to the concert nor able to leave early. On another note I picked up a RezBand - Hostage LP this weekend. I was a bigger fan of the band DA or Daniel Amos.

Seti,

I didn't want to leave early when I saw them. 1st time I saw them was outside in a field by themselves and a few years later in a small auditorium. I liked their earlier works through Live - No Turning Back (I think that was the title).

I've somehow never heard Daniel Amos though my memory tells me I've thought I would like them.

Now if I would just find some of the really good stuff or cool stuff some of the rest of you find.

The RezBand did a concert in a park in Memphis when I was living there. To me they sounded like a cross between Grace Slick and Led Zep. I was never a big fan of D & K or Petra. It was a long time ago, but I was still able to drive myself. [;)]

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Aparently not much new stuff on the cheap or am I the only one admitting what I got on the cheap?.

I stopped at the local Goodwill on the way home from work Thursday night (It's now Friday morning.[:o]).

LPS

Al Hirt - The Best Of Al Hirt - RCA Victor 1965

• Another gentleman had spotted this before I did and he offered it up. Appears to be in really good shape. He had collected a fistful

Al Hirt - Honey In The Horn - Radio Corporation of America 1963 (Wonder when they swtiched to RCA?)

• Except for a nasty scratch the vinyl would be in really good shap.... maybe it'll be on the surface but may be pretty deep. Perpendicular to the grooves.

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - What Now My Love - A&M (ya think) SP 4114 (didnt' find a year)

• Very clean

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass - South Of The Border - A&M 108 (a bit earlier than What Now My Love

• Very clean

CDs

Steve Green - Hymns A Portrait Of Christ - Sparrow 1992

• This one for Dad's fiance or St Ruth

Petra - Wake Up Call - Word 1993

• Like their earlier stuff a lot better

Dave Koz - Lucky Man - Capitol 1993

• Doubles my Dave Koz collection. Only Dave Koz to this point

Diane Schuur - Pure Schuur - GRP 1991

• Only other Diane Schuur is with B.B. King (I think) and I like it.
  • And it was half off. Woo Hoo.
2010-02-25

Now that does bring back some memories. I saw Degarmo and Key open for Petra a very very very very very very very long time ago. Wasn't even old enough to drive myself to the concert nor able to leave early. On another note I picked up a RezBand - Hostage LP this weekend. I was a bigger fan of the band DA or Daniel Amos.

Seti,

I didn't want to leave early when I saw them. 1st time I saw them was outside in a field by themselves and a few years later in a small auditorium. I liked their earlier works through Live - No Turning Back (I think that was the title).

I've somehow never heard Daniel Amos though my memory tells me I've thought I would like them.

Now if I would just find some of the really good stuff or cool stuff some of the rest of you find.

The RezBand did a concert in a park in Memphis when I was living there. To me they sounded like a cross between Grace Slick and Led Zep. I was never a big fan of D & K or Petra. It was a long time ago, but I was still able to drive myself. Wink

Bruce

Oh wow I would have like to have seen Rez Band. DA or Daniel Amos was more to my liking in that genre. They are all pretty dated now. There was also lots of crap in that genre.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some LPS the family or maybe our oldest daughter picked up from a thrift store for Christmas. She just dug 'em out of her room within the past couple of weeks. We went to Florida and they didn't want to transport them 1100 miles each way in a potentially sun warmed vehicle (or just couldn't find them). Pretty funny as they completely forgot what 1 was and only remembered the artist on the other 3. Hid some notes on the Christmas tree. All but the Barry Manilow one a bit beat up looking for my tast but thankfully the vinyl is better looking than the covers. The one without the cover was in the Steppenwolf cover.

LPS Christmas 2009

Top to bottom left to right.

Various - Woodstock Two

Steppenwolf - Live

Village People - Go West

America

Barry Manilow - 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe - this one's nice and clean but we already have...

Yesterday evening's and today's finds. Still no dirt cheap Klipsch....

Just some LPS and CDS

2010-03-05-06

If Al Hirt's Honey In The Horn looks familiar it is. This is a stereo version. My other recent copy is mono. The stereo vinyl not as nice overall while the mono vinyl is very clean but one nasty mark...

Various - Coca-Cola Q95 Album Project III - album project by Inidanapols WFBQ 95. A Henry Lee Summer track. No idea who the others are.

Al Hirt - Honey In The Horn

Keith Green - For Him Who Has Ears To Hear

Keith Green - No Compromise

Martin Denny - Another Taste Of Honey!

Jonh Michael Talbot - The Quiet - this looks good to chill out to

Martin Denny - The Versatile Marin Denny

I think I may have both of the Keith Green albums but so cheap bought 'em just in case I don't. I do have the Al Hirt but it has one bad but hopefully superficial mark while this one some small ones all over. Found that this one is stereo and the previous one is mono so that could be fun to compare.

A couple of fistfulls of CDS today.

CDS 3/6/2010

Carly Simon - The Best Of Carly Simon

Tracy Nelson - I Feel So Good

Robert Palmer - Don't Explain

Various - Songs Of The Season 2001 - already have - for mother in law St Ruth or Dad's fiancee Norma

Bruce Hornsby & The Range - Scenes From The Southside

Carman - Misson 3:16 - this one for Norma or maybe St Ruth

Glenn Miller And His Orchestra - The Unforgettable Glenn Miller - "magnetic tape had not been invented at the time of the original sesssions"

maybe recorded from direct to disc?

Oscar Peterson - Oscar Peterson's Finest Hour - the beginnings of our Oscar Peterson "collection"

Harry Belafonte - Folk Standards: The Encore Collection - for St Ruth - "Day-O"

John Tesh - John Tesh Presents The Choirs Of Christmas - for St Ruth

Neil Diamond - The Christmas Album

The Spinners - The Very Best Of The Spinners - but no "Rubberband Man" or was that by someone else?

Neil Diamond - The Jazz Singer

Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits

Amy Grant featuring a duet with Vince Gill, The London Voices, The London Symphony Orchestra - The Spirit Of Christmas - St Ruth, another dup

Saw this thread and ran out to 2 close thrift stores, found 1 book. Anyways i have been pondering getting a turntable. I see someone on my craigslist is selling nearly 400 LPs for $50, they are mostly 70 and 80s rock, should i jump on them?

The Short answer..........Yes!!!

The Long answer......Well, if you don't have a turntable......condition....condition.....awe heck....just get them!!! [<:o)]

Dennie

ugh i am so unmotivated to go get them, he is a 45 minute drive away. He has a number to call but i just sent him an email. Part of the problem is i just spend $500 on other audio equip a few days ago. Right now i listen to a mp3 plugged into my receiver, would i notice a difference if i got a decent CD player and started using cds? I know how people feel about LPs so i guess you dont have to go into that...

On the other hand, I could find 400 LPs at my local thrift store I wouldn't take $50 to haul off! Really, it depends on what they are, not how many of them there are...

I see someone on my craigslist is selling nearly 400 LPs for $50, they are mostly 70 and 80s rock, should i jump on them?

I pretty much refuse to even try going vinyl. I really dont understand the incredible draw to this media source. But, listening how everyone around here raves about their experiences and some of the rare finds I would suggest you purchase those 70's-80's rock and roll frisbees as fast as possible. If it turns out to be something other than you were hoping, its only $50. On the other hand you may have found a little gold mine. I have a feeling you may already be to late. Where are you located [:^)]
  • Like 1

I really dont understand the incredible draw to this media source.

I'm not sure I fully do either though I buy quite a bit... but many claim the sound is better. I haven't discovered that yet but I buy vinyl for music I either can't find on CD (haven't looked in most cases) or mostly to get music I can't afford on CD unless I find the CD cheap. Quote

I would suggest you purchase those 70's-80's rock and roll frisbees as fast as possible

Though I never spoke with Oldbuckster I sometimes think I can hear a strange yet familiar voice yelling PULL! whenever I put on an LP. (RIP Rob)

On the other hand you may have found a little gold mine.

If the vinyl is wasted but the covers are in good shape you may at least have some cool artwork. Usually better chance of clean vinyl with covers in good shape. A co-worker says he sold a smaller collection of 50 or soe for around $4 a piece for his brother to a guy who was going to resellt he covers... I think he was just pulling my chain but ya never know.

And if they're junk. Use 'em for frisbees as Matt suggests. Or for ***** targets. Or melt them into popcorn bowls or lamp shades. If they're anything good they're probably long gone. I occasionally see someone else looking through the vinyl at the local Goodwill - though usually a lot more seriously then I do.

I have bought some really good music, to me anyway, in real good condition for as little as $1 or even 25 cents.

And yet... I'm still annoyed by the ticks and pops ... .thoughm most of my LPs are farily quiet it's a crap shoot when buying used. I usually don't bother if the vinyl isn't really clean looking. May still be noisy but guaranteed if it's all scratched up.

On the other hand, I could find 400 LPs at my local thrift store I wouldn't take $50 to haul off!

With your back you best not be haulin' off 50 LPs at a time.

I know the feeling. I see lots of those but every so often I find something worthwhile.

On the other hand, I could find 400 LPs at my local thrift store I wouldn't take $50 to haul off!

With your back you best not be haulin' off 50 LPs at a time.

I know the feeling. I see lots of those but every so often I find something worthwhile.

I've always had a hankerin' to use bad lps as siding (or roofing) on a building. They're even predrilled!

With a portable propane torch you could carefully heat to fold over corners.

In any case you have given me a good idea for cleaning LPs with rainwater.

Another idea: with plenty of adhesive, stack thousands, centered on long steel roundstock "spindle" to make columns for construction.

Larger roundstock plus stack of 45s for smaller diameter columns.

If we work this out, we could probably build the whole structure out of vinyl LPs. Open up a little music shop and call it "Fini's House of Records".

-Pad Inch Splendor