Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

I've always had a hankerin' to use bad lps as siding (or roofing) on a building. They're even predrilled!

Wow your a sicko wacko [6]

I can just see someone on a roof looking at the labels screaming NOOOOOO A BLUE NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay well i decided to go a different route from LPs. Picked up this cd player today for $25 on craigslist. It looks great in the pic huh? Well it is not perfect by any means in person, i would give it around around (light scratches) 7.5/10. I have no cds and really prefur quality mp3s. My plan is to pick up some jazz and classical cds at garage sales and goodwill but there is no way i can fill the 301 slots the cd player has. Didnt come with a remote but as you can see the receiver i have next to it (picked up for $165 is 10/10 condition) is a pioneer and the remote works fully functioning for it. I have it hooked up via optical input and it was manufactured in 1998. What do you guys think? Please post deals you have gotten from craigslist guys!

post-42346-13819554555154_thumb.jpg

post-42346-1381956993679_thumb.jpg

Cant tell exactly what you have there with the Pioneer Elite Receiver. I picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX for a good deal more than that a number of years back and use it for movies and music downstairs. Nice pickup for $165. Depending on the model it probably sold for between $1000-1500 suggested new.

Yes msrp $1400 in early 2003 but i believe people were buying them for over $800 new. I love it alot. The problem i have run into is that i just bought some awesome awesome jamo speakers from 1997 that are 4 ohm so i do not want to run them through the receiver. Right now i use the receiver as a 2.2 system with my rf-82s and velodyne subs and music sounds great.

Okay well i decided to go a different route from LPs.

We like all kinds of finds.... some of mine aren't really that much of a find but it keeps the thread from getting too far out of mind... I haven't found much in the way of equipment. A black box (BBE Audio Restoration System) and a pair of Tannoy SRM 12B studio monitors. There's even some funky furniture in here.

Last night's stop at the local Goodwill after work. A real quick pass through the CDs picked up a Christmas CD for mother in law St Ruth. It was tagged with a black tag (1/2 off) so being the good son in law I am I htink I remembered another CD with a black tag. It too looked better for her than me but finding it I looked a bit closer at a couple I had passed over and decided to get them. Quite a few Christmas CDs this time of the year.

Here's the one's for St Ruth

A Gentleman's Chrimstas

Definitely not for me but she'll probably love it.

Rejoyce 2002

A couple on here that I'd find worthwhile but not the whole thing. Hmmmm I wonder if we have another copy of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime"?

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

We have at least the Aaron Neville and The Waitresses tracks but couldn't pass up Emerson Lake & Palmer's "I Believe In Father Christmas" Looks like a nice Christmas collection.

Holiday Sounds Of the Season 2001

We already have the Diana Krall version of "Have Yourself A Very Merry Chrismtas" and other versions of "Santa Baby" but can never go wrong with B.B. King. But it was the Eva Cassidy song that made me have to have this one.

Yes it is a good thread. I have turned back to wanting a turntable now. Looking to spend $30-$50, quite a few people sell them used so hopefully i find something good. Today i saw someone selling 300 records, 60 cds and 2 record players for $100. Too bad the record players looked like crap.

Yes it is a good thread. I have turned back to wanting a turntable now. Looking to spend $30-$50, quite a few people sell them used so hopefully i find something good. Today i saw someone selling 300 records, 60 cds and 2 record players for $100. Too bad the record players looked like crap.

Hey BBR, just because a turntable looks like crap, doesn't mean it is. I picked up a Elac Miracord 40 (I think) off of CL and it looked bad. Dirty, dusty, a broken dust cover that he must of stored somewhere else, (as the TT was just covered in dust) for $40 and it is a GREAT Table. A little TLC can do wonders and not all "Crappy" looking turntables are good, but do some research, bad looking TT's are usually cheaper than clean and shiny ones! [;)]

Any "older" turntable you buy, will probably need a new cartridge. So plan on figuring that into the budget also. You can find some great deals at "Garage/Yard Sales", a lot of people are selling them now a days and don't have a clue about the current market value.

Keep us posted and ask questions. [Y] One man's junk, could be your "New" turntable!!! [:P]

Dennie

PS Ben, more great additions to your library. Very nice indeed. You find some great stuff and I don't stop at "thrift stores" usually, but because of you, I think I am going too. Thanks for posting your current finds.

I really want a pioneer turntable to match my other 2 pioneer components, i also want it to be a woode frame.

A Pioneer PL-41 might suit your needs and aesthetics. I have one of these, and they're very simple and elegant! Here's a completed auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Pioneer-PL-41-Belt-Drive-Turntable-w-New-Belt_W0QQitemZ350319737951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5190aefc5f

The PL-50 is very similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pioneer-Turntable-PL-50_W0QQitemZ140390667387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item20afef947b

Here's an "as-is" PL-50 that doesn't power-up. Might be an easy fix, but could be a bum motor. pretty cheap, though, especially if you were close enough to pick it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PIONEER-PL-50-A-BELT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE-PC-50-CART_W0QQitemZ330411172940QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cee0a644c

P.S. If you pick one of these up, don't get a Grado cartridge for it. I tried one, and experienced the dreaded "Grado dance" (Google it) where the tonearm wiggled right out of the groove. VERY wrong tonearm/cartridge match.

BTW, if you can budget 100-200 for a cartridge, you should be able to get something very nice. As you might see from above, the cartridge you choose will be dependent on the table (more specifically, the tonearm) you choose.

BBR,

I think your best bet is to keep perusing garage sales, thrift stores and Craigslist if you're firm on $30-50. On eBay, you'd pay that much for shipping! You may get lucky!! I certainly have in the past. A few years back I picked up a Kenwood KD-500 fitted with a Black Widow arm for only $18! Those deals are out there... My Pioneer may have cost around $20. My Thorens TD-124 (with Ortofon arm) was all of $200. Hmm, I better get out looking again!

I can get the pl-530 for $50 , what should i ask about? How the belt is what stylus needle and cartridge it has?

Hey BBR, ask about speed. Does it run slow? Fast? How many hours are on the cartridge? Is it all original?

If you're lucky, it has been taken care of and the cart has low hours. You may not "need" a new cart to start off with. But, usually on older gear, the stylis is fairly worn out. Maybe not? You won't know until you play a "old" record and see how it sounds.

Do you have a way to hook it up? You're going to need a Phono in on your receiver, etc. If not you are going to have to get a Phono Pre-amp.

Funny how it "Seems" like a cheap and easy hobby to get into, but there are things that are needed before you can even plug the TT in. LOL

Keep us posted and keep asking questions,

Dennie

I received an email from the guy saying that he had 10 people who wanted it and to call him fast and gave his number. My parents were here with my having dinner and kept telling me how turntables are such a hastle and that i should not mess with one. By the time i got his response about the stylus needle cartridge he said that it was sold. I may just hold off on the table for now. BTW my receiver does have a phono input.