Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Hit a few yard / garage sales on my way home from an out of town funeral for a friend's father on May 20th. I think I picked up a couple of CDs but forgot which ones. Anyway found some good sized shears. Maybe about as big as my mom's old upholstery shears though maybe not as heavy weight?

Shears

They seem reasonably sharp and just looked, well usefull. Wonder if they're sharp enough for grill cloth should I ever try to build new speaker grills?

Circular stamp below the screw reads:

CONN

CUTLERY

Co

NANTUCKET

From back in the day when things were made in the good ole USA.

Saw a yard sale sign yesterday (Sunday) pulling out of the gas station and first thought it was from the day before but realized with the downpours of the day before (that I got caught in pretending to be a soccer referee) the poster board looked too good to have been through the rain.

Anyway, found a bag full of CDs from 25 to 50 cents a pop. They had 3 of the 4 CDs from the Led Zeppellin box set that I would've gotten figuring I'd know somebody that didn't have a copy as I have a nice copy in the box but passed as they only had 3 of the 4 discs.

Garage Sale CDs

I'm pretty sure we have the bottom 3 CDs and maybe even 2 copies of the Mannheim Steamroller but will pass on to St Ruth (mother out law) or Norma (Dad's fiancee). I was going to be good and only get things that I really wanted but at 25 to 50 cents ... I've paid twice as much for 1 CD even a few that I probably didn't like as well as I'll like some of these.

And the Dire Straits Making Movies is still in the shrink wrap. My oldest daughter used to like "Peaches" on The Presidents Of The United States of America CD. I hope she still does.

• 3 weeks later...

Went garage sale shopping this morning. I am always on the look out for work jeans and high end audio. Sometimes I find the Jeans. I never find the audio equipment. Today my luck changed. I spotted something familiar, OMG!!! I asked the lady how much for the speakers. "I dont know, how about $40" she says... I could not dig in my wallet fast enough. With out knowing if they even worked, I called my buddy with a pick-up.

I got these bohemeaths home and was blown away. Not only does everything work, they sound incredible. The warmth the Cornwall puts out compared to my RF-7's is something to talk about.

Unfortunately I dont have the room for these things though. My buddy is happy for that...

CORNWALL.jpg picture by mattao1970

Went garage sale shopping this morning. I am always on the look out for work jeans and high end audio. Sometimes I find the Jeans. I never find the audio equipment. Today my luck changed. I spotted something familiar, OMG!!! I asked the lady how much for the speakers. "I dont know, how about $40" she says... I could not dig in my wallet fast enough. With out knowing if they even worked, I called my buddy with a pick-up.

I got these bohemeaths home and was blown away. Not only does everything work, they sound incredible. The warmth the Cornwall puts out compared to my RF-7's is something to talk about.

Unfortunately I dont have the room for these things though. My buddy is happy for that...

Good God!

And to think I was excited when I found a pair for $400.00.

Fantastic score.

Tom

Amazing score!!!!

Nice score! $40 Cornwalls do exist and they also appear to be in very good shape. [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

It's one of the reasons I keep going to garage sales.... just in case....

Nice score! $40 Cornwalls do exist and they also appear to be in very good shape. MusicMusicMusicCoolMusicMusicMusic

It's one of the reasons I keep going to garage sales.... just in case....

What a great story....

You should ALWAYS have room for Cornwalls.

You should ALWAYS have room for Cornwalls.

Exactly. If one does not have room for Cornwalls then one is in need of a relocation.

Yeah Matt, time to move to a bigger place. That's an AWESOME deal and it dosen't come around every day! I'd hold on to them, update the crossovers, if needed and sit back and enjoy the music! [:P]

Congratulations! [<:o)]

Dennie

After my divorce in '04 I sold off what little I had left for stereo equipment. (Except for my Klipsch KM-6 speakers)

I survived on CDs ripped to my computer and my Grado SR-125 headphones.

Last fall I was in the local Goodwill and spotted a receiver sitting on the shelf. Marantz SR-360. I plugged it in

and it turned on. I figured what the heck, it's only $2.99. Posted Image

I got it home and hooked it up. I only got sound out of one channel. A shot of contact cleaner on the volume slider fixed that!

It isnt the best sounding unit, but for the price it will do until I get something else.

Over the next few months the finds started to pile up. A Sony cassette deck (TC-R303) for $4.99 and a Mitsubishi Turntable followed me home.

The real find came last winter when I spotted a white box on the bottom shelf. I seen Pioneer on the side and made a bee line for it.

I opened it up expecting to see some sort of beat up junk. Nope, Pioneer PD-M453 6 disc changer still in the original plastic wrap!

All the paper and remote where there too. $9.99.

It may have only cost me $23 for the whole system, less speakers, but I am now doing something I have not done in years, ENJOYING THE MUSIC.

The $23 system.

Posted Image

Along with the big $$ gear.

Posted Image

To the poster who got Corns for $40......

YOU SUCK!!!!! [:D] (Just kidding).....

Thats the deal of the decade! I am most envious.....

Please find room for them...... I have been wishing for a pair of CWs for years.......

Glad to see the other poster is bolstering his home audio via the thrift store.... I frequent them often as well......

I actually got a set of Ohm Model E speakers for $4.00 each..... they rekindled my Klipsch obsession 2.5 years ago......

Good Luck to all!

• 4 weeks later...

Not really a thrift store find but, found this RW-8 subwoofer in the local classifieds yesterday for $50. Although it's no moster shaker it is much better then the sub I was using in my HT setup.

For a 8" sub....this thing sounds very nice and has impressed me. It goes very well with the Chorus mains and Heresy center.

Condition 9/10.

post-32793-13819600785116_thumb.jpg

post-32793-1381961931548_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some updates to the system I posted above and the latest finds.

First I replaced the Marantz 360 with a Marantz 2230! Got it off fleaBay for $119. Completely gone through and recapped. WOW the sound!!!

Goodwill finds in the last couple of months are a Tascam CD-RW5000 For $9.99 (Studio CD burner with Balanced in/out)

And for a friend I just picked up a Pioneer PD-M510 changer for $2.99 Clean and working.