Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Music I meant. My stance is I have already 1000s of records and just have grown more wairy of trying the unknown. . . . but your case works.

I think I'm still on my 1st 1000 records and 1st 1000 CDs though I'm behind on my CD record keeping and way behind on my LPs. I think I had over 500 LPs cataloged quite a few years ago in an index card box that's probably in a box of stuff that's not been unpacked in at least the last move and probably 1 or 2 before that.

So with 1000s to choose from I can see why you'd be much more selective than me. Got my first Grand Funk CD recently. Don't htink I have that one on vinyl. Thought I'd scored a Deep Purple CD ( none in my collection [:$] other than songs on collections) but empty box.

I'm still in the mode to get a lot of the music I never got around to getting in my youth and well enjoy discovering new (to me) music. But I really need to get things organized as I have boxes of CDs all over our office. We have 2 CD cases if you will, One is full. The other is full of other stuff. A few on open dowel rack types of racks mostly with tapes and CDs. CDs were pretty well organized until I started going to thrift stores, pawn shops, yard sales, etc. For some reason I think the recent Spinner greatest hits CD may be a duplicate? Yep. That one I logged back in February. $3 from the same place that I got it for $2. One of those will go in the trade / give it away box eventually. I gotta start logggin things as I get them. This trhead is the best history of many recent acquisitions. Over 100 more CDs on mp3 player (reasonabley accurate) and in photobuck CD image directory. So I really need to take a couple of days and get things organized and in sync.... Some I buy for mother in law or girls Grandma Norma (Dad's fiancee. Dad passed away over 12 years ago before they ever got married). I'll probably pick up a few contemporary Christian CDs for our pastor. Passed on a few recently that I thought He'd like as I already had a pretty big fistfull.

I've gotten quite a few CDS I really like that are others people's rejects. Makes me wonder just what kind of cool stuff they're keeping.

Finally stopped at the local St Vincent De Paul thrift store. Picked up a little GT cooker for our oldest daughter for $1 and a couple of LPS

2010-11-19-StVincentDePaulKokomo.jpg

The Motels should be fun. Said oldest daughter's getting married next June and we're supplying the tunes to keep the entertainment costs down so seems like we'll need at least one polka? That said, I'd think I should be able to find a polka CD.... no intention of taking LPs as planning to copy anything from LP to CD or mp3

Always good to see a pick-up of a Frank Yankovic album.... Everybody "polka..."

At the Greensburg IN Goodwill, home of St Ruth.

A nice pair of aluminum cruthces just like the one's we have for $5.99. We also have a wooden set which nobody wants to use so time to donate those. A second set you ask? Well we're always loaning 'em out to somebody and my wife thought just a couple of days before Alea needed them I think Sue, her co-worker who had borrowed them for her daughter, probably doesn't need them anymore. So now we have a loaner pair. Or a pair for each of our girls as they both are all too familiar with crutches and/or boots.

And, this is even audio related a bit. I may try to post a pic later. A LIFE book for $.199. Good to very good shape. "LEGENDS The Century's most unforgettable faces". Music you say. Janis Joplin. Jimi Hendrix. Madonna. Maria Callas. Michael Jackson. Josephine Baker (I think a singer) Glenn Gould. Louis Armstrong. Edith Piaf. Frank Sinatra. The Beatles. Billie Holiday. Elvis Presley. Chuck Berry. Judy Garland and Shirley Temple (both better known for acting but they did sing) Kurt Cobain. Jim Morrison. Bob Dylan. Woody Guthrie. Billie Holiday. And I'm sure more .... .

And some nice quotes such as this one by Ethel Merman about Janis Joplin:

That girl has problems... Bein' heard ain't one of 'em.

30 Color and 98 black and white illustrations. A good many musicians. I think I'll go back Friday in case whoever donated this donated other LIFE picture books. Copyright 1997.

Posted Image

Another trip to the Greensburg IN Goodwill. No life picture books but a couple that Alea's excited about and should be fun.

Posted Image

A trip to the pawn shop yielded 2 CDs.

Posted Image

My wife found a novel and I found this Stan Kenton LP at the Batesville Goodwill

Posted Image

Virgin vinyl from 1972. Yep. Still in the shrink wrap.

And a few CDs from the Westfield IN Goodwill on the way home.

Posted Image

I think I already have Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas - if so will probably go into the pass it on box.

Can't find it if I do. I may have been getting it confused with A Boy Named Charlie Brown. This copy of A Charlie Brown Christmas from The Jazz Heritage Society with black and white cover. The color cover is so much cooler. Esepecially LP sized that I think Boxx (or somebody) posted recently on the Right This Minute thread.

I think I already have Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas - if so will probably go into the pass it on box.

Can't find it if I do. I may have been getting it confused with A Boy Named Charlie Brown. This copy of A Charlie Brown Christmas from The Jazz Heritage Society with black and white cover. The color cover is so much cooler. Esepecially LP sized that I think Boxx (or somebody) posted recently on the Right This Minute thread.

Today's visit to Indianapolis area Goodwill stores. 1/2 price day. :) But we didn't get to Kokomo's Goodwill. :(

1st stop Westfield. Also got our daughter some Christmas ornaments and my wife picked up a couple of books.

Posted Image

The Year In Pictures has some pretty nice images. Also had some 9/11 faces but ony people and the captions were pretty sad .. and looked like half of it had been submerged. St Ruth loves Harry Connick Jr and I think I'd like some of his stuff so may have to give it a listen before addint to St Ruth's pile. Songbird is a duplicate. Have a friend in mind who might like a copy. Monk Rock I think will be nice introspective tunes to mellow out to. And with a rather thin Rolling Stones CD collection how can one pass on a greates hits collection?

Castleton

2010-12-04_CarmelGoodwill.jpg

Gomer and The traditional hymns for Grandma Norma. Gaither Praise and Charlotte Church for St Ruth. Jars Of Clay for Alea though I think I may like it. India Arie I think I might like and I like the cover.. Faith Hill I may like at least a few songs and maybe a couple of songs for Elyse's wedding reception. Had Blood Sweat and Tears in the LPs. Cover didn't look too bad but no vinyl. Also Cat Steven's Teaser And The Firecat started out looking promising on the left side but had been submerged on the right side and was kind of nasty. Vinyl nasty. Oh well.

Do you travel regullar circut?

Not really but I do try to hit the local Goodwill, Salvation Army, thrift stores, and pawn shops. And yard and garage sales. My wife and youngest daughter also manage to find out when the Goodwill is having 1/2 off day and we'll often hit 2 or 3 of the Indianapolis area Goodwills (about an hour away). Also thrift stores and pawn shops where we go shopping for other things or our daughter plays basketball.

Ok. So maybe it's getting that way. LOL. But if that was the case I'd make it to Lafayette more often where I happened upon a nice pair of Tannoy SRM12B studio monitors on 1/2 price day.

No funds to buy Cornwalls or LaScalas or a subwoofer so hunting for something on the cheap. Could also use another nice amplifier. If I was really serious I'd probably make it to a local auction house. Probably going to go play table tennis about an hour from home at the home of one of our club members.... may have to check on thrift stores on the way or in that town....

I got some really nice CDs at the pawn shop where my mother in law lives in the past. They used to be $3 or 4 for $10. Offerred me probably 100 or so for $40 or $1 each. Could only find 2 that were worthwhile. Said he'd probably let me take 'em home next time just to get rid of them. That might be worthwile if there's anything worthwhile even if I have it or don't like it could pass on to others.

I got some really nice CDs at the pawn shop where my mother in law lives in the past.

Yeah, you can get pretty nostalgic looking at old time stuff in pawn shops, but it sounds like you really think your mother-in-law needs to snap out of it. It kinda sounds like an episode from The Twilight Zone...

Do you travel regullar circut?

Not really but I do try to hit the local Goodwill, Salvation Army, thrift stores, and pawn shops. And yard and garage sales. My wife and youngest daughter also manage to find out when the Goodwill is having 1/2 off day and we'll often hit 2 or 3 of the Indianapolis area Goodwills (about an hour away). Also thrift stores and pawn shops where we go shopping for other things or our daughter plays basketball.

Are pawn shops safe to go in I have never tried one kind of looser hang-out?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess I do travel a regular circuit. LOL. More the silver addiction for me. Beats drinking heavily. A lot less expensive. Out looking for something shiny and sparkly (and inexpensive) or funky cool for my lovely wife. A couple of possibillities.

From the Blue Diamond Trade Post. A coworker said they had some nice stuff. And they do.A handful of $2 CDs. Not as sweet as a dollar, but more of a score that what I find for less

2010-12-18_BlueDiamond.jpg

Bluegrass? Well she is very good and maybe it's time to find my inner hillbilly. The playing can be pretty good with some really cools stuff... it's the bluegrass singing that kind of turns me off... But still in shrink wrap. Into the trade / pass it on box if I can't tolerate it. The rest I'm sure I'll like quite well.

From World Wide Jewelry and Pawn.

2010-12-18_WWJPArchLeonImp.jpg

I really liked Leon Patillo back in my college days. Keyboard playing Contemporary Christian artist who was a lot of fun live. Played with Santana I think for a time. Chuck our Pastor will probalby get the Archers as I think he really likes them but maybe I'll like them better than I think I will. Even so he'll probalby like them better. The Imperials likely will end up with Chuck as well. He also likes Leon but he'll probably get Leon as a loan.

2010-12-18_WWJPCa.jpg

Bing, Frank, and Nat for St Ruth as is the Johny Mathis. Grandma Norma will get the Bing and Frank. I'm keeping the George Winston unless I have it and then it may end up with a friend or St Ruth.

2010-12-18_WWJPCb.jpg

These are mine. Ramsey Lewis Trio. No brainer. I've liked Kathy Troccoli for a long, long time so that's a keeper. Probably more a fan of her earlier more pop/rock CCM I have on LP but still enjoy her newer works.

2010-12-18_WWJPFrankLeon.jpg

The Sinatra for St Ruth though the duets CD may be worth keeping and the Leoy Neiman look cover art is pretty cool. I think Leon Redbone should be fun? Passed on Leon's Sugar so I'm sure that was the best of the 3. But had to stop somewhere.

2010-12-18_WWJPJewelAnnie.jpg

Leon Russell should be fun. Jewel. The girls have Pieces of You which I like and I guess Rick88 over in the Right This Minute Thread is rubbing off on me. Should be pretty good and the girls might even like it. Annie Herring I'm not so sure, I liked the 2nd Chapter of Acts though at times kind of overly reverand and plodding, her younger brother Mathew Ward has an amazing voice. I think have Paco, Al, and John's Saturday Night In San Francisco on LP. Speed guitar. Incredible virtuosity. Should be a fun ride.

I got some really nice CDs at the pawn shop where my mother in law lives in the past.

Yeah, you can get pretty nostalgic looking at old time stuff in pawn shops, but it sounds like you really think your mother-in-law needs to snap out of it. It kinda sounds like an episode from The Twilight Zone...

She's finally getting more realistic. Started locking her doors the last couple of years. Last summer even said "... maybe all the years of bleaching my hair isn't so good for my brain..." Something I've been trying to tell her for over 20 years. Guess she finally started listening.

• 4 weeks later...