Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

This last weekend KPBX had their yearly record and video sale in town.

I went Sat when it opened, and grabbed six or eight LP's amongst a serious frenzy. And then went in Sun and scrounged up a few more. They also had a silent auction for audio gear, but I'm no good at silent auctions.

LP's were two bucks on Sat, and a buck on Sun.

I purchased:

Bashin' The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith

The Modern Jazz Quartet and the Oscar Peterson Trio at the Opera House

Bille Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald at Newport (clef series)

Erroll Garner-Soliloquy

Herbie Mann and The Bill Evans Trio-Nirvana

Herbie Hancock-Future Shock

Spyro Gyra's first LP

BTO-Four Wheel Drive

Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells

Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This is what I managed to snag between the mayhem on Sat, and having everything picked through on Sun.

No shortage of vinyl junkies around this berg...

I went Sat when it opened, and grabbed six or eight LP's amongst a serious frenzy. And then went in Sun and scrounged up a few more. They also had a silent auction for audio gear, but I'm no good at silent auctions.

I purchased:

Erroll Garner-Soliloquy

Spyro Gyra's first LP

BTO-Four Wheel Drive

This is what I managed to snag between the mayhem on Sat, and having everything picked through on Sun.

I would be interested in knowing how you like the Jimmy Smith LP....

Here are my finds at Goodwill today.

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue at 50 2 disc set $2.49

Miles Davis-The Complete Birth of the Cool $2.49

The Beatles-Revolver 2009 remaster $2.49

Queens of the Stone Age-Song For The Deaf $2.49

Denon DCD-820 in working order $4.99

Posted Image

Stopped at the local Goodwill on Feb 20th and Feb 24th

2011-02-20_Kokomo_Goodwill.jpg

The GREAT HYMNS of Faith for Grandma Norma.

2011-02-24_Kokomo_Goodwill.jpg

Sorry for bad quality on the Christmas Collection. Primarily bought for Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Chrsitmastime". Also tracks by The Moody Blues, America, Dionne Warwick, Air Supply, Ann Wilson, Kenny Loggins and more. The Stan Kenton and his Greatest Orchestra featuring Art Pepper, Sheelley Manne, Milt Bernhart, and Maynard Ferguson of an unreleased radio broadcast from the Hollywood Palladium derived from the original radio transcriptions so no idea how this is going to sound could be a bit to tape hiss? Maybe radio interference? The back says

"The musical performances herein are of historical importance, derived from original radio transcriptions of the time perid. Elements of surface sound interference were removed everywhere it was possible to do so without destroying the integrity and flavor of the music originally designed and performed for listening enjoyment through broadcast systems of the era."

So sound quality could be pretty uneven if that means recorded from a radio transmission? Or pretty good if recorded what they were transmitting? Anyway, looked like fun.

I purchased:

Erroll Garner-Soliloquy

Spyro Gyra's first LP

BTO-Four Wheel Drive

I would have bougtht ZEERO of these butt no accountig for taiste as they say

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you would appreciate this. The gentleman I just spent time
with working in Monterey, Mexico said Mata was a personal friend of his
parents and would travel with a suitcase full of sheet music and sit
beside their pool outside Mexico City for hours thumbing through it
slowly. When, as a kid, he asked Mr. Mata what he was doing, the
response was, "I'm listening to some new music".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit behind. Still one more stop after this but I forgot what I did with that bag. [:$]

March 2nd Carmel Goodwill

2011-03-02_Carmel_Goodwill.jpg

Jimmy Buffett Christmas CD I think I'm now ready for Christmas in Florida!

2011-03-02_Carmel_Goodwill_StandUp.jpg

The vinyl is a bit iffy and may be playable but the cover just too cool to pass up.

Westfield Goodwill the same day

2011-03-02_Westfield_Goodwill.jpg

A little Jack Johnson and a nice pottery bowl

Kokomo Rescue Mission on the 4th

2011-03-04_Kokomo_Rescue_Mission.jpg

I think the Pete Fountain had a scratch that looks kind of dangers in the lead out groove but the cover is signed. :)

World Wide Jewelry And Pawn the same day

2011-03-04_WWJP.jpg

Greensburg Goodwill on the 5th

2011-03-05_Greensburg_Goodwill.jpg

I think I have another Oklahoma but the cover is different. Both are pretty early. And Alea loves history and politics.

Not much action in here lately. I have 3 or 4 more CDs but forgot where I put them.

I'm a bit behind. Still one more stop after this but I forgot what I did with that bag. Embarrassed

March 2nd Carmel Goodwill

2011-03-02_Carmel_Goodwill.jpg

Jimmy Buffett Christmas CD I think I'm now ready for Christmas in Florida!

2011-03-02_Carmel_Goodwill_StandUp.jpg

The vinyl is a bit iffy and may be playable but the cover just too cool to pass up.

Westfield Goodwill the same day

2011-03-02_Westfield_Goodwill.jpg

A little Jack Johnson and a nice pottery bowl

Kokomo Rescue Mission on the 4th

2011-03-04_Kokomo_Rescue_Mission.jpg

I think the Pete Fountain had a scratch that looks kind of dangers in the lead out groove but the cover is signed. :)

World Wide Jewelry And Pawn the same day

2011-03-04_WWJP.jpg

Greensburg Goodwill on the 5th

2011-03-05_Greensburg_Goodwill.jpg

I think I have another Oklahoma but the cover is different. Both are pretty early. And Alea loves history and politics.

Not much action in here lately. I have 3 or 4 more CDs but forgot where I put them.

Ben, It looks like you found the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow, just a few days after the 17th. Congratulations...

Found a couple of CDs on my way home from CPR training for PAL soccer....

2011-04-09-WWJP-BlueDiamond.jpg

The Kathy Troccoli for a couple of college friends. The Gene Deer for our collection. CP1 turned me onto Gene when he was in Kokomo a couple of weekends back. Very good stuff. Maybe next time we catch Gene we can buy a CD from him.

Lately I have been resisting the urge to buy in the thrift stores, at the same time avoiding the wrath of my wife. However I just could not get my will-power to resist these. They need re-foaming, but thats no big deal for me.

Wow.... Those look great. (The refoam is ~$20 and an hour or two.... No biggie).....

Which exact model are they?

You guys are really getting some finds. I rarely check in here due to jealousy, feeling that I've never got a really 'killer deal'. I mean I've done ok, but it's been a lot of driving and a lot of rebuilding, never a Klipsch steal from a thrift store.

Until Today.

Colter's Turn...

How about a single LaScala, Industrial, split version, black fibreglass with aluminum edging? (yeah, like all that other Klipsch stuff in my collection)

No tweeter motor (wires hanging out of K77 phase plug were apparently hooked to external piezo tweeter), cabinet edges rough but complete, glass with hardly a scratch. Looks like the woofer door never opened, still clean solder joints to the original round magnet steel frame K43 woofie! Still digging into the top section to get a peek at the K55M that's in there.

How much? $100. details and photos later.

M

You guys are really getting some finds. I rarely check in here due to jealousy, feeling that I've never got a really 'killer deal'. I mean I've done ok, but it's been a lot of driving and a lot of rebuilding, never a Klipsch steal from a thrift store.

Until Today.

Colter's Turn...

How about a single LaScala, Industrial, split version, black fibreglass with aluminum edging? (yeah, like all that other Klipsch stuff in my collection)

No tweeter motor (wires hanging out of K77 phase plug were apparently hooked to external piezo tweeter), cabinet edges rough but complete, glass with hardly a scratch. Looks like the woofer door never opened, still clean solder joints to the original round magnet steel frame K43 woofie! Still digging into the top section to get a peek at the K55M that's in there.

How much? $100. details and photos later.

M

It's about time. No Klipsch scores here. (other than the "used" CA-5T but that was from Klipsch eBay auction [:D] )

I did score a nice pair of Tannoy SRM 12B Studio Monitors, often called "Lttle Red" though mine don't have "Little Red" printed on them. Research by serial built around 1982. 12" 2 way with 2" conical horn in the woofer voice coil. Beatiful driver. Functions fine exept for noise level controls.

That said, I've scored some pretty good CDs at Goodwill's pretty much in your backyard. Dang near bought a NICE foosball table for $35 on first Saturday of the month sale at the Westfield Goodwill. I would have but Dawn and Alea had a desk for Alea's room in the back of the van bought at Kokomo Goodwill. No place for it but a good sturdy foosball table that was a great buy at Goodwill original $70. I may have even called to see if I could store something at Roadie's - maybe desk , then foosball table for a few weeks until I could retrieve... or at least thought about calling. With Elyse out on her own we might have room when decade or more overdue serious spring cleaning is complete. Or Elyse and DJ might have room. If nothing else the garage in the apartment they rent doesn't seep moisture like our garage. Should've at least called you a couple of times in case you might want a good foosball table in really good shape. Or Roger, Trey, Steve, or Mark might want such.

Anyway, some good CDS at Castleton Goodwill which I think has now moved much closer to you on 86th street, along with the Westfield, Carmel, and Glenbrook Goodwills. Glenbrook was really good though I've only been their once though that's probably the closest to you. Or was that the one Alea scored a really nice (to her) purse at? The Carmel Goodwill is a PIA to get to with all those funky elongated roundabout overpasses. I still forget which one it's at. Easy to see from north but too late to exit. Can't see from the south. It's great for traveling Keystone from Westfield to 465 but crazy insane to get to places you used to be able to easily see from the old Keystone - or even hard to get to places you can see from the current "improved" version. Last time I hit the Carmel good will I dang near got dizzy from all the dadburn round a bouts.

I'm hoping for the $40 or $50 pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas but a $100 split pro LaScala that looks that good would be hard to pass on unless I just didn't have $100 readily available. That I'd call you several times and hope you answer and are home. Could be the start of a good sounding HT on the cheap... or even stereo or share with a forum brothah.

Timing is everything. Gotta get there a couple of minutes before the competition. When I found the Tannoys in Lafayette. I literally walked by and thought not Klipsch but that logo looks like something good. Must not be too excited and casually circle back. Priced singly. Forgot that the sign said half price day until I had gleefully pulled off the tags after a quick visual inspection. And was even disappointed the pawn shop nearby had closed on the way back to the Gordmans clothing store where I had purchased a couple of pairs of pants, left Dawn and the girls, returned, and still had to wait on them to finish shopping. Dawn and Alea at least have actually stopped at yard / garage / estate sales and scanned for big Klipsch. Thrift stores are going to be more and more less likely if they use the internet at all...

If you've never seen the tannoy driver up close I'll have to drag 'em down to Indy (a bit smaller but maybe heavier than Heresies) or have you stop in if you've ever time to kill in Kokomo. It's pretty. And I've yet to pull wither one out of the cabinet. Might build a vented box as same driver used in uber expensive and cool Tannoy slot vented floor standing Edinburgh model that gets down close to 30 hz. The 12Bs about the same as the Heresies. Nobody complains when I've switched between the Tannoys and Heresies in living room but Alea raised all kinds of hell when I suggested I'd put both in the office and return the simple 8" 2 ways I'd built in colleg back to TV / living romm duty.

It's about time you don't have to go on a major road trip to add to yout addic er collection.

oops double post when I meant to quote.....

This from the Lord o' The House of Klipsch and Roadies? Other than maybe KH and one or two other collectors and well, Rigma (drool starting) no need to be jealous, well other than the serious coin you've paid for a few of your museum quality rockin' gear.

With your nose for Klipsch I might as well quit checking anything near Indy if you ever start hitting the thrift stores. I've still not gotten to the Salvation Army on Washington street or even a single Indy Pawn shop. Though I did hit a few yard sales returning home from the doctor one afternoon last spring.... don't think I found even a single CD. Though maybe from one of the Goodwill's... but only one or two I drive right by, or almost right by, or right by given my lack of sensible navigation skills inside the 465 loop.... (waking up with the echoes of the amplifier still ringing in my head, later than planned after hangin' with said Lord, I decided to meet team SWMBO on the east side of Indy on the way to a family reunion... still too dazed to realize all I had to do was drive to Allisonville and meet them at one of the shopping centers at 456 and Allisonville or even Castleton.

My brother can find his way back to places in the middle of nowhere - over 10 years after last visit. I think in Maryland 15 or more later when we last visited as children when he as 12 or 13... I can barely find my way out of a parking lot. [:$]) It's really quite easy to get to 465 from anywhere in Indy for anybody with any sense of direction and 'alf a brain... I think I was aiming for 465 and I forget where now and ended up by the fairgounds. Still not sure how I missed not only the turn one can't miss, or that I made that many wrong turns [:$] maybe 'cause I figured I was in the doghouse by then but team SWMBO have had so much fun laughing at that one

....But hey I won the Cornhole tournamnet at the reunion! But Alea and I were the only people who bothered to play. They had Cornhole at this reunion at least a decade I think before it hit Indy much less the Northern half of the state.

(Prayer for tonight. Lord please just knock me out for at least 3 or 4 hours.)

edit (so brain dead can't even get a common musical reference right.) And still at work. After getting here before 8 AM. Though I did quit working a while ago... (avoiding facing writing tax check for another day ...)