Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Am I the only one that looks for new music (and equipment) on the cheap anymore? Or just the onlly one that will admit it.

Yep, you're the only one.

You'll never see me on my hands and knees, digging through cardboard boxes underneath tables at fleamarkets, thrift stores, church bazaars, or even Hardly-Half Price Books.

You'll never see me doing that... because you don't live in Texas. ;-)

You'll never see me doing that... because you don't live in Texas. ;-)

If I did I'd probably be following you to find where to find some of the awesome stuff you find.

p.s. I did live in Plano for about 5 years ago almost 20 years ago (why does that make me feel old?)

• 2 weeks later...

For the following list, may I suggest that you assume the identity of one Mister Hollis Wood, "Hollywood" aka Slim Pickens in the movie 1941. Slim was being detained on a Japanese submarine and his captors were going through his pockets. He spoke aloud as each item was held up for inspection.

"One pair of genuwine Klipsch KLF 20 loudspeakers in Satin Black,

One genuwine Klipsch KLF C7 center channel speaker also in Satin Black,

One large Klipsch Subwoofer Model number KSW 15 weighs a ton,

One pair of Klipsch rear channel speakers model SF 1 and

One Yamaha HT receiver model number RX V1500 with 120 wpc times seven........"

Eight Hundred bucks. How sweet it is! Craigslist.

What am I going to do with all this stuff???

• 3 weeks later...

From the local Salvation Arm 17 Feb 2012

2012-02-17_SalvationArmyKokomo.jpg

Kokomo Rescue Mission on the 20th

2012-02-20_KokomoRescuMission.jpg

These were free from local pawn shop

2012-02-24_BlueDiamond.jpg

The Brothers In Arms now belongs to MC as he only had a standard copy. Free with purchase of one of these:

Nakamichi_MB-3_rt_700x408_pixels.gif

not mine. Mine is on desk at work for use as CD player at work. Only known problem is drawer is sticky, have to help it start but fine after that. Probably needs a new belt ($24.95 for all 3 on eBay but an o ring of close enough to right size should work). Headphone amplifier intially sounded hissy with above CDs which was a big surprise for Brothers In Arms. After discussing with Marshall, I probably would have passed due to age but as it works fine and has a very powerful and good sounding headphone amplifier it makes a great CD player for work. Didn't notice hissiness Tuesday at work. Probably crazy loud 1st day? Or MC's copy of Brothers In Arms is hissy. Very short audition the day I picked it up. And 1/4 turn of headphone volume is too loud for me.

And tonght (last night, the 28th) hit the Kokomo Rescue Mission again

2012-02-28_KokomoRescueMission.jpg

Good karma lately. Other than youngest daughter in hospital, who is fine now, the above scores, picked up a new Pioneer am/fm cd with auc and usb input for pick up truck. Fixed the brake lights which died Friday night / early Saturday morning on way home from Healing Sixes at the Rathskellar. Ok, the ignition swich in said pick up truck just recently started jamming but that's a lot cheaper to fix than paying a mcheanic to track down short feared to be in stalk or dash. Trailer light wiring. Doh! Was hanging down a while back so tucked it somewhere. Cut the wire between the tail lights and voila. Passenger rear turn signal working agani. Radio (still factory) qiuits flashing with passenger turn signal on with headlights off. With headlights on only the front worked manaully for quite a while before Friday night. This is 3rd replacement headlight switch. Mechanic replaced with used. This 2nd new the Advance auto parts store covered under warranty. And young sales guys car stereo nuts and Klipsch fans.

Hit my local small town library thrift store for the first time. Came away with...

p9090002q.jpg

World Saxophone Quartet Plays Duke Ellington, NM

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Iron Butterfly, F (my first copy)

The Melodic Stan Getz, VG

Sacred Songs, The Chuck Wagon Gang, G+

Dire Straights, S/T, NM

Heaven Help The Fool, Bob Weir, VG+ vinyl, F/P jacket

Bill Black's Greatest Hits, VG

Koln Concert, Keith Jarrett, F/G (should have looked closer)

A Palestrina Mass on Archiv, NM

Southern Winds, Maria Muldaur, NM

Waitress In The Donut Shop, Maria Muldaur, NM

...all for $5.50. Some are clean back-up copies of discs I already have (Maria), some are for comedy use (Iron Butterfly), and some are fantastic finds (World Sax Quartet, Bill Black, and The Chuck Wagon Gang).

NICE finds there and great price. How did you like the Stan Getz?

Ben came to see a band I've been mixing at the Rathskeller and passed the Dire Straits REMASTERs on to me! What a great friend! Thanks Ben. You're my inspiration to hit up the local Goodwills from time to time. I've also got to get busy sorting through and PLAYING some of these hundreds of LP's I've amassed from various collections at about a buck a pop. There's some great stuff in their from my random samplings. Time to pass some of them on to others as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Carmel Goodwill after a visit to CP1 listening to some incredible tunes including an impromptu level matched on the fly comparison with Steely Dan's Aja on CD and Cisco 180 gram black herion. Stunning. Michael could hear the difference imediately. Simple stunning sounds like music sound from either source.

Anyway hit the Carmel Goodwill on the way home. Was trying to be good so only really very quick glance at the CDs and LPs. And this is what I came home with....

2012-03-28_Carmel_Goodwill.jpg

ok A couple of books too. Mostly pictures I think and soooo cheap I couldn't pass up. I think $8.41 for the lot and most of that was the books at $2.49 a piece before taxes....

Finally. My first Blood Sweat and Tears album. It's about time don't ya think?

NICE finds there and great price. How did you like the Stan Getz?

Ben came to see a band I've been mixing at the Rathskeller and passed the Dire Straits REMASTERs on to me! What a great friend! Thanks Ben. You're my inspiration to hit up the local Goodwills from time to time. I've also got to get busy sorting through and PLAYING some of these hundreds of LP's I've amassed from various collections at about a buck a pop. There's some great stuff in their from my random samplings. Time to pass some of them on to others as well.

I'll be back. Maybe next week if you're available. The things I've found in your backyard.....

And I passed on a nice pair of Energy floorstanders 2 5" and soft or aluminum dome? With the spiikes extending out from the cabs. $50. I figured for that price they'd make great speakers for Elyse and DJ, or Alea but Alea is fixated on Cornwallls.... probably would've gotten them if I'd been solo but SWMBO 1 and 3 gave me really not this trip looks..... They were pretty large and looked to be in VERY NICE condition. Light maple kind of vinyl (I think, I'd rreally kick myself if real wood...). I should've told them I should be able to easily double or triple the investment. But I did score a couple of LP's and a 45 from the gentleman next door. From his personal collection. Talked to him and told him what a steal the Energy's were. Assuming of course things were in working order but they did look nice.... :( Only thrift I hit on spring break. After finding a couple of more Goodwills. And they have some cool stuff in Venice area Salvation Army especially in the furniture department. I have scored a few CDs and some very minty LPs on previous trips, including replacement of REO Speedwagon's Live You Get What You Play For. My copy from back in the day is kind of beat up. The "new" one is very minty.

Oh oh... the addiction is kicking in.... Haven't been to the Rescue Mission in a while.... LPs $0.25 (no cents sign on keyboard) is their normal price. And I've found some nice clean LPs there....

I've got some Stan Getz on CD. Maybe even on vinyl from back in the day. Need to get / build some more record storage. And CD also. Any duplicate Thelonius Monk? At least I think that's what you had on when I first came. So much good stulff. Have to find that little blue bag to return the Iguana CD and any other extra copies. Maybe some vinyl if I het the Rescue Mission. Might need a bigger bag. lol It's more CD sized.

I'll bring the Cisco Steely Dan again if you eant to compare more or do a prematched level match comparison. I think I also have CD, Stereo, and at least one mono Dave Brubeck's Time Out. Maybe a 3 star and 6 star.

I have some scrap oak. Time to build me some nice record crates like my college roomate built over one summer. Traded him 3 TDK SA-90 for 2 creates or may 2 SA-90's for a create. Still working fine. A bit wobble more than 2 high and 2 stacked too wobble for speaker sthads bot overall work really well. I need more LP storage. I have the materieals. Time to get busy. Yep. Late 20th century dorm room in the 21st century[:$]

• 2 weeks later...

It's Marty's Fault... I don't know what the legendary (in his own mind, and places unkown) is up to, but #%^&! it I think I've fallen for his latest sinister plan... maybe the twin's will tell, or maybe Marty's carrying out their plan. The twins can be sooooooooo smooth and deceptive....

Anyway, racing out of work to get to Doc's Pool Shed in time to get spring vinyl 'n steel pond opening chemicals, I found leaving that I still had some time to hit the Kokomo Rescue Mission.... I tried not to go but coudn't not go.... so quiet the lady at the cash register turned off the lights and thought everyone was gone.... I tied to only take a cursory look... but had to check through the CDs, and of course the LPs....

Silver

2012-05-11_KokomoRescueMissionSilver.jpg

I may have the Wynton Marailles? If so maybe Michael or somebody will want a copy.... good artists, good labels in the classical arena and I've yet to encounter a Bette Midler album that didn't have at least 2 or 3 keepers. Blame Gale our pastor's wife.... she loned me a copy of her favorite Bette Midler album back when I was a wee lad in high school, The Divine Miss M. And blame Millie our HS French teacher (Millie a butchering of Mlle or whatever the shorthand is for mademoiselle) who loaned me here George Carllin LP (no CDs back then kiddoes) The 7 Words You Cannot Say On TV. And I think a book that I still have as I kept "forgetting" to return, even visiting after I had graduated that has a dictionary in the back of things you want to be careful to who and how you say them in French, or for understanding modern French literature..... some weren't so bad... such as faux nenes (I think a little angled line over the es? Whatever it's called...) We bought her a giant pair of orange (her favorite color) Nerf balls for Christmas one year, or was it her birthday as we also bought her an orange Duesenburg, she grew up near Auburn, homw of the Auburn Cord Dusenburg Museum and fondly remembered labor day weekends where they'd close down part of I-69 and let the Dusey's fly.... maybe her summer birthday as I think short sleeves ... her neighbor commented about her "nice" car when she went out to the sidewalk at her appartment's parking area to retrieve her Hot Wheels or was it Tootsie Toy Dusenburg.

(Sleep, dambit, didn't get much last night.. forgot round 2 of tranqulizers.... yet today one of more productive days of the work week and the best I've felt in a few days.... new (really more) meds must be working?)

Black

2012-05-11_KokomoRescueMissionBlack.jpg

I don't think I have the Vivaldi, at least not that version, but may on some classical LPs, a few never played hidden behind some video cassettes, and with so many fans here of the Kingston Trio though I needed to give them a try but this may be a duplicate... got to sift through some of this stuff before the Pilgrimage. And the bottom probably junk, but could be really good, but for 25 cents I'll get the groovy cover. And the vinyl is very pristine on groovy cover and Vivalid, pretty good on Kingston Trio.

That Ted Heath Phase 4 SHOULD be outstanding both musically as well as technically. I am not entirely sure I don't have a copy, but most Phase 4 are good to outstanding technically.

Dave

That's what I was hoping... they had several Phase 4.... Maybe I should
go back and buy 'em all if in good condition. 25 cents. Might not cost
much to mail you a couple of excited by any and if I still have an LP
mailer....

This one I'm keeping just for the groovy cover. lol

• 2 weeks later...

19 May 2012

Blue Diamond Trade Post

2012-05-19_BlueDiamond.jpg

Psi Iota Xi Thrift Store - raise money for hearing impaired children and a Drive By Garage Sale

2012-05-19_PIX_Driveby.jpg

Kokomo Rescu Mission Phase IV

2012-05-19_KokomoRescueMission.jpg

Dave said these were really well recorded so I bought all that looked to in good shape. THe one without a cover came with the one none Phase IV and is the 2 pianos. Dave let me know what you really want. The groovy one is dup, there are 2 ebb and tide. The one without cover may be duplicate. I'm keeping the Hawaii for sure maybe an ebb and tide. Don't know for sure but probably at least one of the Ronnie Aldrich and his two pianos with The London Festival Orchestra. You may be interested in those as I know you know how to record a piano that sounds like a piano. I do have a mailer. Holds 3 maybe 4. I think I got 2 with a piece of corrugated? Probably not going to be good to send vinyl until October? 90 here today and Texas is pretty hot

The one's I thought I'd like the best, and maybe I have one as a couple of duplicates, were big band percussion or something like that.

Also on May 19th from the Kokomo Rescue Mission my only non Phase 4 purchase....

Louis Prima - Blast Off The Live New Sound of Louis Prima Recorded In the Celebrity Room At The Sands

2012-05-19_KokomoRescueMissionLouisPrima

Should be fun, looks to be autographed. Going to former co-worker Mike if he has a TT or wants it. Huge Louis Prima fan. Best known for his work for Disney's "Jungle Book"

Stopped at a Thrift in Arlington, Tx today after work and scored some vinyl. Spent about a half hour rummaging a bin with no prices. This is usually either really good or really bad. Got to the counter, put the pile on the counter and held my breath as the clerk examined the first album. She turned it over and over looking for a price and then reached for the register. What would it be? How outrageous was she going to price them? I used my "special" powers to control her mind AND......................................................................................................................................................................$.55, that's right, 55 centavos, 55 pennies from heaven, 5 more than 4 bits.....except the box set.....it was 99cents.. The worst are in VG to Excellent, Many are Mint or Near Mint. Wahhhahaahahahhahhahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Vinyl RULES!!!!!!! Life is GOOD!

Best of the lot was Columbia 6 eye of JJ Johnson and Kai Winding "Trombone for Two" in Excellent condition.

So here's the complete list:

"The flute at the Courts of Frederich the Great & Louis XV", Everest 3180

German pressing of "Cantata da Camera" , Rene Jacobs/Gustav Leonhardt, ABC Classics AB-67020/

Promotional Copy of "Diane Schuur & the Count Basie Orchestra" with Braille Title on Cover. Actual Braille on the Jacket GRD-9550

45rpm Angel Sonic Series of "Gershwin:Rhapsody in Blue, Ravel:La Valse" London Symphony, SS-45012

Nonesuch label, "Piano Rags by Scott Joplin", Joshus Rifkin, Piano, H-71248

4 Manhatten Transfer lps, not a huge fan, but these were mint

British Philips pressing of "Suppe Famous Overtures" Neville Marriner, 9500 399

RCA Living Stereo, "Malaguena" / Carlos Montoya, LPM/LSP-2380

CBS Masterworks, "Dvorak/Salvonic Dances/ Cleveland Orchestra

Capital Full Dimensional Stereo, "Artistry in Voices and Brass" Stan Kenton, ST 2132

A weird one too good to pass up, "Bluegrass Banjo, Music Minus One Banjo", Peter Wernick, Banjo. According to the notes, one channel is banjo only so you can listen to the other channel(the rest of the Bluegrass Band) and play the banjo parts yourself. Gotta love vinyl! MMO 180

Deutsche Grammophon Box set, Metropolitan Opera production of "Carmen w Geoges Bizet/Marily Horne/James McCracken, Leonard Bernstein conducting". 3lp set, 2709 043

"The Amazing Rhythm Aces" 9022-1123

Support your local Thrift Store and they will support you...

Our Forum brother Ron, aka Lonelobo has been seriously injured in a motorcycle wreck and can use our prayers. Please keep Ron in your thoughts and prayers. This thread he started I'm sure has inspired many of us to hit the thrift stores more than we might have otherwise.